1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Screw Implants & Pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello, I didnt expect to start a new thread, just wanted to post a question. But I have the screw in my foot that is giving me pain for a year now. I have athritis now to, and Im relatively young. Its time to remove it. Originally, I didnt want any hardware in my foot, but my foot doctor at that time insisted on using hardware and claimed that there shouldnt be any effects from screw. Not only is this a lie, but realized this is a scam from foot doctors use to push hardware to charge the insurance company. They also have proprietory rights to the screw--so you are married to him if there's a problem. Most likely your foot will change over time and there will be problems if you're active. Anyways, I found out that the podiatrist used a screw and a k-wire placed in the foot. Does anyone have any opinions regarding this? Thank-you, I would appreciate any responses

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I've read a lot of bunk and misinformation from those who have no idea of what they are talking about, but this one might just take the cake.

1. Proper use of a screw for internal fixation should not be a cause of arthritis
    2. The doctor was correct in stating that a properly employed and placed screw should not in most circumstances cause problems, although SOME wind up doing that. So the doctor's advice was NOT a lie.
    3. I can't speak for all surgeons, but to state that it is common practice to use hardware so as to be able to charge insurance companies for hardware (which is charged by the hospital anyhow, and not the doctor) is ridiculous.
    4. I have no idea of what you are talking about by "proprietary rights to the screw." Once implanted, the patient owns the screw and what is to be done with it or for it if there are problems is between the patient and the doctor OF HIS/HER CHOICE.
    5. Rarely, if ever, would both a screw and a K-wire be employed to fixate the same site.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I saw in recent xrays that there was a screw and wire. A screw and a wire wrapped around it. Funny, i didnt get the view when I saw it 2 years ago. Anyways, its giving me numbing and bruising. I feel my foot locking up alot just sitting. I would like this removed.

The dr said that he might not have the correct tools to remove the screw as every surgeon uses different screw heads, and I would have to go back to the original surgeon.

What do you think Foot doc?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I don't know what you're talking about and why what you saw recently was different than it was 2 years ago, but generally the hospital, not the doctor supplies the "tools." There is no guarantee that every "tool" is available in every hospital OR, but if you are suggesting that it is common for screws to have to be removed by the same doctor and/or in the same hospital in which they were originally inserted, that simply is untrue.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I recently got xrays done and saw a screw and a wire. I know what a screw and wire looks like- and this is what the foot dr said too. Maybe its a thread?

He told me his hospital might not have the same tools as the original surgeon as you pointed out, so therefore i should find the original dr as he knows what screw he placed in my foot. He didnt want to take a chance and open it, and not have the proper instruments. Are you saying that surgical centers would have the newest tools, and they would have no problem removing it?

thanks in advance.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

actually, some foot drs. do use screws, wires and plates so it wouldnt be unusual to see a wire as well.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I really don't know what you're talking about. You mentioned screws, wires and threads. So what ARE you talking about?

You appear to not understand that there would be a surgical report on file and records indicating what hardware was used. In any event, your new surgeon should have been able to identify what sort of screw was used from the x-ray. If what you are saying is really what the surgeon told you, it sounds like he didn't want to fool with it and was just trying to get rid of you. Something just isn't right with your story.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Most surgeons are not comfortable working on other surgeon's work. They prefer to know what they are getting into ahead of time. Especially if there is a problem from the previous surgery. Why are u having the screw removed anyway? I have four pins and a screw in my left foot, but they r permanent. I had part of one pin removed, but only because it broke off.