1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lump on top of left big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I am having a lump on the top, towards the right (outer) side of my left big toe, just between where the nail begins, and the first joint.
    I have noticed this for about two years now, and at one point I thought it had been growing larger but it's been about the size of a dime (in diameter).
    Lately, though, I'm noticing now that the skin on the underside of that same toe, directly below where the lump is above, has no sensation, numb, from about the area of where the first joint begins to up around the tip, and mostly along the outer edge of the toe, again, corresponding to where the lump is located above it, on top.
    No pain, just these observations.
    I can't really afford quality medical care at the moment, so I'm basically just watching and waiting to see where this goes.
    Thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

A lump on a toe the diameter of a dime is HUGE. I'm sure that if you can afford an Internet connection and probably all sorts of other conveniences which are far less important than your health, you could afford at least the expense of a hands-on examination and opinion from a podiatrist to let you determine if it important enough to spend money for actual treatment on it. But if you think it more appropriate to "watch it and see where it goes," rather than channeling the expense of an office visit from the that designated for things you believe you REALLY need, that's YOUR call, though certainly not my recommendation. This and sites such as this are not appropriate venues for making diagnoses on which effective treatment might be based. See a podiatrist.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for you reply. It does appear, though, that you're making a few--let's say 'assumptions' regarding my socio-economic status, and this, of course, is typical of the United States' health-care system in particular (making condescending assumptions), and the rest of our society in general, as the health-care system undeniably serves as a behavioral 'role model' for it.

I do, though, appreciate the advice of seeing a Podiatrist first, in order to obtain an opinion on this condition.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The way one spends his/her available funds is a matter of personal priorities. As I see it, one of the major problems with the U.S. health care system is that far too many folks have come to believe that health care is an entitlement, when at the same time, the real essentials for living, food, shelter and protection from the cold are somehow not seen in that category. Insurance of any kind, by most definition is intended to cover expenditures which are beyond the normal capacity of folks to personally underwrite . . such as loss of a home by fire or disaster or the cost of catastrophic illness. Medical insurance which pays for otherwise affordable services, such as, for example, office visits have only tended to increase the fees asked for those services, as when so many patients get such relatively low cost services free, either through their private insurance or through social service programs, they provide no market incentive to keep fees reasonable, and fees have undeniably soared each time a service is covered. I take umbrage with your opinion that my reply constituted a condescending assumption when it simply stated the almost certain fact that you have discretionary funds to which you apply your priorities, and, in my opinion, health care should be a greater priority than many other things and services for which you likely elect to pay.

In any event, I believe that I gave you appropriate advice in response to the essence of your question, and it appears that you do too.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

one could be using the free computer at the libary they sit in all day because they have lost their home after losing their husband and only get to eat and sleep at the shelter. just a thought... have a nice day and please assume away... :p

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It is not my purpose to argue with you about the ifs and buts of why an office visit to a podiatrist for an assessment of a problem is not beyond the finances of almost anyone who seems to function in society, and that health care, in general, even when (perish the thought) is paid for by the patient, should be at the high end of one's priorities. But I would judge that in all likelihood, the "one could . ." caveats which you offered do not apply to you anyhow. Everyone makes assumptions, and one who is in the business of dealing with people and the making of often hidden diagnoses is often correct in his/her assumptions. I make judgments which are often no more than educated assumptions every day. But even If I happen not to have been correct in your specific case (though I bet I was), it is still my general opinion, and do not believe it was condescending . . just based on the same type of experience which I bring to bear in my podiatric medical practice on a daily basis.

7. Footprints Pod

Footprints Pod New Member

:confused: I wonder how you can be certain that the person that originally poisted this thread "has discretionary funds to which he/she applies their priorities" :eek: In my opinion it is a human beings right not to have to suffer and endure pain. Of course everybodies pain is relative as of course is everybodies opinion of budgeting week to week.:( Never the less as I said I believe that we all deserve the right to the same health care.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I will not turn this forum into a battleground venue for other than a discussion of medical issues, so this will be my final comment on this point.

There is almost no one in the U.S. or other than the poorest of the poor third world countries who does not have discretionary funds. Discretionary funds are those funds to which one applies his/her priorities for spending, and if one has a single penny, he/she choses by priority where that penny will be spent. The necessities of life are food, shelter and protection from the environmental weather. We would be in agreement that no one should be without that food or shelter, and there are social programs in the U.S. and most of the world which see to it that most of those in true need are provided such services, either for free or by subsidy. But I take issue with you that "we all deserve the right to the same health care," any more than we all have the right to eat the same food, live with the heat or air conditioning at the same temperature or live in the same quality housing. Those with more money always have and always will be able to afford better things and more comfortable lives. But the point of essence in this whole issue is that the original poster in question believed that she could not afford even a single office visit to a doctor so as to then be able to determine if her foot problem really needed treatment. Now, if she didn't have an Internet connection, as she probably falsely would have me suppose and if she made no other purchases of choice, other than for food and shelter, I would entertain her thought. But reason would dictate otherwise. So, I contend that the ubiquitous thinking, even by those who, with some priority adjustment, can afford them, that medical services which are not paid for by a third party are out of reach, when, at the same time, items and services of lesser importance are not is an untenable position and one driven only by unreasonable expectations.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey Foot Doc-
    Don't worry about those other individuals... I feel sorry for those inidividuals who cannot afford proper medical treatment, and the reality is, you could be talking to the .1% of the population within the United States that is using the internet at a library while living in a shelter (although I highly doubt it). The unfortunate reality is this... There are simply those individuals who expect others to pay for their medical care while 2 years ago, when this bump formed... why didn't you get it taken care of? Because it wasn't worth their time then, now they want me and everyone else in the US to pay for it....

Foot Doc, why don't you just travel the country doing pro-bono podiatry... just like Michael Cain in Kung Fu. You should pay for the poor planning of others.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a rural dude with a minor lump on my big toe who came here to help me form a plan of attack. While I expected to find some possible causes, it instead reminded me that nearly everyone in medicine makes more than I ever have and they believe health care is worth whatever the price, even if it wipes out my pre-retirement savings. If the doctor just mentions the 'C' word, I will submit my body to the near daily commute to the pollution, traffic and stress of the city and wipe out my entire savings just for the possibility of hearing I will not die. But I will die someday and probably not because of my toe, but in the meantime I will spend a couple of months of misery in a life shorted by the adventure to find out my toe would not have killed me.

Having opted out of gambling my savings to search further for the diagnosis, I dedicate the time I would have been driving in traffic, pacing the hospital halls, sitting in waiting rooms with sick people and generally stressing out about my mortality to taking long walks in the woods, jogging up hills that take the wind completely out of me, climbing piles of rocks and sitting on top watching the hawks float above the valley. I will gladly ponder how much I am enjoying my life whether it shortens it or not.

It seems you can only see the health care crisis from the waiting room and nobody listens to the people in the waiting room.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a similar lump on my big toe. I am sure it has something to do with my nail bed as I've had similar but not so hard lumps on my fingers. I found the comments on this thread highly amusing but a simple answer the the original question would have been more useful.
    I'm in England where we have a free health service which works very well after a fashion but it's still good to be forewarned when ever you visit the mysterious men who seldom wear white coats these days.
    Pete

12. Podwoman

Podwoman New Member

All,
    I am a UK podiatrist with 37 year experience and I agree with Footdoc.

We are Podiatrists, not clairvoyants,and none of us are going to risk losing our Registration by doing internet diagnoses of lumps and bumps we can't see.
    If the OP could post a picture that might help, but I am not sure that this forum supports graphics.

My advice is see a podiatrist.regards

Podwoman.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not wishing to disagree with the masses here, but, we are on a forum to get some infomation about a problem we have. We have all come here to cite our problems and none of us have any answers. And we're telling the FOOT DOC to shove it up his ass. How can we expect anyone who might be able to give us an answer to come on here and help out when all we offer is abuse?

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had my consultation visit (co-pay is supposed to be $25 but I always get wacked with a remaining balance so i gave them $100) with a podiatrist on a lump that I noticed right before the 1st joint of my big toe in August. I am of the "If it isn't broken or doesn't hurt, don't fix it mentality"...we are homeowners supporting two children on single income (I was downsized and went to college FT while working PT for peanuts). While we do spend about $13k for medical insurance (BC/BS) the deductibles are insane (depends on each case...this one is $1500 for doctor & $1500 for surgical facility.

My toe is now getting numb and the area is sore with most shoes. Dr left choices to me but was honest. Aspiration is cheaper but usually temporary - biopsy is needed. Or (the option I chose) rather than spend money on each of these, take it off (w/test).

I will let you know what is billed and what it actually costs me (at a surgical center - I am not supposed to be balance billed after deductibles and network rate ("reasonable & customary") have been paid by insurance.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do you mind letting us know what the outcome of this was? I have a lump very similar to yours on my right toe and unfortunately right now I do not have 25.00 extra for the co-pay. I went to the dr. about three years ago because this same toe in the same area felt numb. It eventually gained it's sensation back and of course this was a wasted trip to the dr. who told me he had no clue what it could be.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Years ago I had a lump on the side of my big toe. It was a cyst. I had it removed in the Dr's office. Not the most fun since it was in the bone and some of the bone was removed. It never came back. Now, years later another is on the second toe of the same foot.
    I will be going back to the doctor to be sure this is what it is, but it looks the same, there is no pain, it isn't red or hurtful. If your lump is the sounds like mine yours could be a cyst as well.
    Just saying.

17. There are many causes of "lumps" on the foot. Some are solid, some are fluid filled, some are associated with bones, joints, tendons and soft tissue. The cause of your lump should be explored and you will need diagnostic testing. Even though the incidence of malignancy may be small, one never knows until one has a diagnosis. I recommend professional consultation. Good luck.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Could be chilblains?

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

WOW! I look for info about a red lump on my toe & walk into a pissing match! While I agree that being nasty to someone who's offering their opinion & trying to help, is wrong, I must say that FOOTDOC brought it on his/herself by making the rude assumptions that he/she did. Must be nice to be so perfect that you're able to throw stones at others. Believe it or not, circumstances beyond a persons control, that may leave them w/out health ins, DO occur. I'm not sure whether or not people actually feel entitled to health care but in a civilized society a person who TRULY needs the help should be able to get it. If they're living beyond their means &/or spending money on less important things than they do not qualify as a person who truly needs help. Do you really believe that those in need should have to suffer & just deal w/whatever medical problems they're having? God help you if that's the case. I've lived on both sides of the health insurance "fence" & you don't realize what a blessing it is to have until you're w/out it. Having to decide if something is bad enough that it needs medical attention or can wait, because you need to be able to house, feed & clothe your family, is a choice no one should have to make...EVER!

20. Imaginative

Imaginative Guest

I think the obvious answer is right in front of us. People pay to look at feet. They are fetish types. Once you make enough money you can then afford to see a doctor. Hey, you might even fight a foot doc with a fetish and treat you for free.

Jebus Lawd