1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 5th Metatarsal - Advice On Walking

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by welsh_Girl, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Interesting discussion here...
    Well, my situation is that, like many of you, also broke my 5th metatarsal. I've been in a boot for the past 3 weeks now. A bit irritating, but hoping for the best. The doctor said that I would need to keep this on for the next 12 weeks (9 weeks now) with a visit midway through. I hope that the doctor sees improvement. I've been trying to lighten my walking/movement and rest the foot when I can, but its difficult.

My question to anyone that has gone through this or close to the end... Once this heals will the bone be stronger than ever, the same or fragile? I'd rather not go through this again. I'm a runner and feel the need...

Counting down the days to eliminate the "boot"!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hopefully, this question won't be too controversial: I broke the 5th metatarsal of my right foot 3 weeks ago. I broke this same bone about 30 years ago. I have been seen twice by a podiatrist and x-rayed twice and I don't anticipate problems healing. I'm using crutches, have an ace bandage wrap and a heavy restraining boot, which I was told to wear, except in bed. When I wear this large, restrictive boot, I experience more pain, not to mention the increased difficulty of getting around on the crutches.

My question is: The purpose of this boot, which causes me discomfort, seems to be to "protect" my foot, but if I am putting no weight on the foot anyway, is there any added benefit to wearing this boot?

Thanks,

S.P.

3. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

I can't tell you what your doctor's thinking might have been, but I assume that the boot is being used in lieu of a cast. If that is the case, I don't know why you were told not to wear it in bed.

FOOT DOC

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

5. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

There is no way that I can tell what a patient specifically means by a boot, but to me a boot implies a patient-removable immobilization system on the foot and leg, generally, but not always, intended for ambulation. A cast is a non-patient-removable immobilization system which might or might not be intended for ambulation. The choice is dictated by the evaluation of the condition by the attending doctor.

FOOT DOC

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

FootDoc: I am also a physician and I believe others in this thread are offended by the way you phrase your responses (which is quite overtly patronizing) more than by the advice you give them (which seems solid to me).

Instead of:
    "Did it never occur to you both that a doctor's ..[omitted for brevity].. then my job has been done. If not . . at least I tried."

Try:
    "The physician who issued you the boot should be able to give you more detailed instructions on its use. I would call them and remember to be persistent--but not pushy--as they may be busy and seeing patients and completing paperwork is typically higher priority than returning calls. Don't worry about walking differently than normal; nobody should or could be expected to walk normally with a CAM boot and a metatarsal fracture."

I can hope that you were just having a bad day (or a few bad days based on your other responses) or that you practice medicine in my area because I like that kind of competition.

BTW, I fractured my 5th metatarsal and found this thread looking for stories of positive outcomes to cheer me up. This thread entertained me but contained little cheer.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I really could care less as to how others FEEL about my posts as long as (as you admit) my advice is solid. My singular intent here is to offer good and accurate information and not to make friends or encourage their continued business. When a posters act in a manner inconsistent with good sense, and especially when their actions are detrimental to their own best interests, I believe that I have both a right and a duty to call them on that and to do so, when I deem it necessary, in a manner which may figuratively take them and shake them. Life's important lessons are not always kind or pleasant or appreciated when administered. But the fact is that the vast, vast majority of my thousands of responses have been well received and helpful. I do find it interesting that you state that returning calls to distressed patients should rightfully take precedence over such as completing paperwork. I believe that MY responsibility to my private patients comes first, and that such as paperwork can wait when I have a patient in need of an answer to possibly allay their fears or concerns or just to clarify my instructions to them. In private practice, sometimes words have to be minced as a matter of good business practice. But in a forum such as this, where there is no consideration of ACTUALLY patronizing the patient solely to encourage his/her future patronage, obvious patient incompetence can and should be called out. Private practice is a whole other ball of wax, and I'm sure that you have had more than a few occasions when you held YOUR tongue for the very reasons of which I just spoke. Perhaps after reading my initially unwelcome comments, the reader may think twice before utilizing the same errant behavior again when dealing with his/her doctor or his/her health. It's part of my service here. But, at any rate, no one is forced to read to or take to heart any of my posts and thems what think that they can be hurt anonymously need to get over it and get a life. I would contend that those who do fancy themselves hurt by such comments feel that way because they acknowledge the accuracy of my admonishments. The truth often HOITS more than anything.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I don't have a broken anything....my 8 year old granddaughter broke her foot and all I was trying to find out about is a boot cast thing they put on her foot. The doctor said she has to wear a shoe with this brace boot thing or it doesn't work but we can't get her foot into any of her shoes...now my daughter in-law wants my granddaughter to have a regular cast put on...which that was what the doctor said they were going to put on her to start with so I don't know why he changed his mind. It was close to closing time at the doctor's office so this didn't take any time at all to put on her foot. Also this brace says Air Cast which I think is a brand...it doesn't have any place to put air into it. And it is open at the heal and the toes... The break is along the growth plate by the way!... I am hoping a cast is going to be the best option for an 8 year old girl!

9. Smokey

Smokey Guest

Is her air cast gray? With the an opening at the toes, but closed at the heel? and velcro straps across the front, with a foamy kind of boot inside? If so, she doesn't wear a shoe IN the air cast, she has to wear a shoe on the other foot as there is a height difference and she will hurt her back and knee if she tries to walk without a shoe on the good foot. I had a regular cast for awhile, then an aircast and loved the aircast.

She will like the air cast much better than a regular cast in the end because she can wash her foot. Her friends won't be able to sign it though unless they use permanent marker.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The boot is designed to make your foot immobilized from bending down or up, it's suppose to be in one position and not moved, this is to allow your body to form it's own cast as you would say around the broken bone. As for walking, you can put weight on the heel of your foot to sustain your weight, however, it is not advised to put pressure on the base of your foot. As far as "FootDoc" and his/her post, what was said earlier about responding in a professional manner i completely agree with. If Foot Doc knows anything whatsoever, then he/she should have the decency and the common courtesy to respond politely. If they ever want to truly accomplish anything in their life, they have got to learn how to respond and deal with other individuals in an acceptable manner.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Iam in the same situation and i wanted to know when you r back to normal.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i broke my 5th metatarsal bone in april and have been in an aircast boot and on crutches since. The dr said not to put any weight on my foot for 6 wks- and then will prob have to wear the boot for another 5 or so without the crutches- and most likely will need to get stimulation on it. I am hoping it heals right so this works out as planned. I am soo sick of using these crutches, its been almost 4 full weeks and the pain has not gone away. Everyone i talk to says this is not normal? My bruises on my foot are still there and are blue- not yellow like they are fading. I havent been walking on it at all so I am not sure wahts going on with it.Anybody else having an issue like mine?? I am just so nervous that it is not healing right and that i will need crutches longer than six wks. Talk about a cruddy start to my summer :(
    Would love to hear from others who have this same injury.

13. 5metbreak

5metbreak Guest

To the person who broke the metatarsal in April and still in pain: I think it depends on where you broke the bone and how.

I broke my 5th met. one week ago, by tripping down the stairs.

I saw a foot surgeon, not a podiatrist, and in my case, he said that 2 factors matter in regards to healing time: 1) my actual break was not too severe AND 2) the "okay" location of the break. This means that it would heal well on its own - without surgery or anything more than an aircast.

He said to walk on it as soon as I felt comfortable, unless very painful, and that walking would not delay healing as the bone is encased in tissue and not going anywhere.

HOWEVER, he also said that this kind of injury, the 5th metatarsal, is notoriously LONG to heal - about a month to really feel like I can walk semi-normally, and then 2-3 months before I hot the next level of comfort, and then, the bone will not be healed fully for 5-6 months.

But you would have to see a surgeon about the location and type of fracture to get a better idea.

ps - hope that abusive "foot doc" rager/poster has been kicked out of this forum! That was unbelievably terrible.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i broke my 5th metertasal & was put in cast 4 six weeks cast as been removed but still suffering severe swelling and and unable to put weight in my foot went back to a&e who told me the bones had unfusied sent me back to fracture clinic for a walking boot then told there my foot was fine and should just get on with it feel so confused as still in pain and unable to weight bare for long as my foot just swells just want to get back to normal any hel please

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

First....I agree with FOOTDOC in the fact that if you want medical support don't seek it here.

Second.....It is kind of nice to see what others are doing that have experienced the same type of fracture.....How well you are healing, problems you might be having and solutions to some of those problems.

Lastly.....I fractured my 5th Metatarsal at the cuboid bone....called a Jones Fracture. I am seeing a orthopedic doctor for my care. I broke my bone about 7 weeks ago. I didn't need surgery or a cast. He put me in a boot that I can "air up" to put pressure on my foot and keep it stabalized. I was on crutches for 4 weeks and didn't put any pressure on my foot even though I was in a walking boot. He said I was healing nicely and I could begin to start walking on my boot as long as I wasn't experiencing any pain or swelling. I have since had another follow up visit and he is going to have me do my own PT (physical training) at home. He would like for me to stay in the boot for 1 week and then begin to walk in a tightly laced up tennis shoe and begin to walk in my home as long as I don't experience any pain. Each week I progress in the amount of walking I do....Leading up to a trip to the zoo at the end of the 5 week PT. Then I will go back for another visit. I have started to walk in my tennis shoe and feel really good. Still a long way to go since my profession is fire fighting.

Right now I am 7 weeks (initial visit, 2 week visit, then 6 week visit) into my injury and I have zero pain....Praise the Lord. I would advise the patients that are still having pain to make sure there isn't an underlying injury or to make sure you are elevating the foot accordingly for swelling.

Again...I am not offering this as advise to treat yourself but maybe to equip you to ask your doctor specific questions regarding your injury. Sometimes we as patients don't know what questions to ask and some doctors are so busy they tend to move you through like cattle.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my 5th metatarsal 8 days ago. It's snapped in half diagnoliy. They suggest to operate and they gave me a boot and crutches. I don't use either. For some reason I don't feel much pain, and the boot just makes it worse. So I think I'm going to continue to walk on it as I've been doing, and hope for the best when it comes to surgery time. They won't operate for another 4 days. Is it normal to be so relaxed in treatment? Seems 12 days to repair a fracture is fairly long.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow, I can't believe this is still going on years later. But It's been 4 weeks since I broke my right 5th metatarsal. My orthopedic has me in a walking boot. It broke just centimeters below the danger zone... if it were any higher than I would have ended up in surgery. Well I hope everyone gets to healing soon!

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same injury several years ago and was instructed by my foot doctor no weight on that foot for 8 weeks

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Looks to me like Foot Doc is a big a-hole. People come to this forum for support and help and all you do is try to find ways to upset them and make yourself appear to be some type of superior educated being. News flash Doc, you're probably a big LOSER. GO find something better to do than being an online bully.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So I had the operation, 2 screws and a 4" incision. I was very sore for about 1 week. Then continued to use the crutches for another 4 days, or so. But here it is... I started to walk on it again, and managed to do so for 5 days, and now that bone and the pinky toe are hurting/throbing/burning. I'm back on the crutches. The stiches come out on the 6th.

Note to self: Stay on your crutches and get the healing done right.