1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Split pinky toe nail

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I stubbed my pinky toe about a year ago and the nail split down the side (close to the end). I cut off the split piece and assumed that when the nail grew out, everything would be okay. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Instead, it seems as though the nail is growing in two separate sections--the full nail, and the split piece (although they seem joined by a tiny section on the bottom).

This is incredibly annoying as any time the spit grows out, it gets caught on my socks. But what to do?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If after the proximal area of the nail which seems joined grows completely to the distal edge of the nail bed, essentially normal does not then grow, it is unlikely that your nail will ever be normal again. You might choose to have the nail removed and permanently destroyed or opt for ongoing prophylactic nail trimming, either self-administered if you are capable or performed by a podiatrist or nail technician.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yeah, my pinky toenail, both of them actually, split from the tip to the point where they come out of the toe. I just had both of them removed a week ago. I put it off for so long because I was terrified of the procedure. I don't know what I waited for. It was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. I had myself all worked up for nothing. The shots to numb the toes hurt, but the pain was only brief as the numbing meds worked quickly. I felt absolutely no pain during the nail removal, and so far none a week later. No more catching that nail on my socks for sure!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've had a split pinky toe nail on both feet for years now. They are quite painful if they are even tapped, let alone hit on something. Does the removal of the toe nail make it so you can't feel anything in the toenail? The procedure doesn't sound like the end of the world.
    Thanks

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I would doubt that the toenail is painful because it is split. It might be slip because of whatever is making it painful.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a nail tech and I have seen many nails and toe nails split, and yes they can be painful because as they hang on things it pulls from the meat of your nail. The best solution for them is to keep them cut short and, or put acrylic, gel, or fiberglass on them to make them as one instead of two pieces.

7. digger

digger Guest

It could possibly be a fungus. I treated a condition on my hand that was misdiagnosed by two physicians as eczema. Turns out it was a fungus. I did research and came across Oil of Oregano with 70% Carvacrol as a potent anti-fungal treatment. The Oregano oil used is the variety Origanum vulgare. It can be obtained at most health and nutrition stores. It comes in capsule and in a liquid dropper bottle to either drink in very small quantities or apply directly to the area being treated. I took it internally and applied externally but only to my affected hand. The amazing thing was the fungus on my hand disappeared as did my split toenails. It was great. Had I known the split toenails were going to be cleared up, I would have applied the oil topically as well to get a quicker response. While I've read that Tea tree oil is a good anti-fungal treatment, you don't want to take it internally. I swear by the Oil of Oregano and now take the capsule form as a supplement for management and general health.