1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 5th Metatarsal - Advice On Walking

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by welsh_Girl, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    In response to the Foot Doctor: Under nominal conditions, an uncomplicated fracture of a 5th metatarsal, other than a Jones fracture, should heal in about 6 weeks.

I have a 5th Metatarsal break which the Podiatrist called a Jones Fracture ... does this kind take longer to heal? I am 5 days into recovery. I was given a pneumatic velcro walking boot (up to the knee) to wear at all times. I haven't really limited my activities at all, other than a bit more sitting with my right foot propped. Haven't been able to put any pressure on the foot without a boot and attempted to drive today, but couldn't press on the pedals without a lot of pain.

Should I not be walking at all? I just assumed the boot would allow me to participate in my normal activities. I go back in 3 1/2 weeks for another x-ray and consult. I am hoping by this time I will be able to bare weight on my foot and start my walking routine again. Perhaps I'm being over-optimistic? Thoughts?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my 5th metatarsal on July 18 when I missed the last step while carrying a large amount of weight and wearing flip flops. The bone was displaced and I had surgery on July 22 and had a screw inserted. I wore an aircast from the start and used crutches. No weight bearing for 6 weeks. I just started bearing partial weight 4 or 5 days ago. Went to the dr. today and he said it is healed, looks good, and I can go to full weight-bearing in the aircast for one week, and then progress to shoes. I am so excited to be off the crutches and can't wait to get rid of the boot! Good luck to everyone else! Hope you all heal quickly!

3. VickieAnn

VickieAnn New Member

I got a Jone Fracture on July 20th. You can read the story somewhere on this site. lol I saw my dr last wk for my 6 wk check and was given full weight bearing with either my boot or an atheletic shoe. I have gotten osteopenia in my ft from not using it so I have to not over do because I could get a stress fracture. He said I should be walking with no pain and in normal shoes within a month. I am still having some discomfort at the break site with my shoe but no pain at all with the boot. It looks like it will be about 10 wks total for the healing process with no surg. if things go right. I guess time will tell.:)

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

VickieAnn, 10 weeks IS encouraging. I can't imagine how you were able to not apply any weight to your foot for so long, even with a boot. I didn't hear my doctor/podiatrist say to do that, so I assume the boot is doing everything it needs to do in keeping my foot stable as I go about my everyday activities. I imagine your osteoporosis has played a part in the continued pain ... but I suppose moderation in your activities is key. Thanks and good luck! :)

5. VickieAnn

VickieAnn New Member

I started out with a wheelchair for the first two wks when it was total nwb and then got what they call a knee walker and used for the other 4 wks. I spent lots of money trying to keep weight off my ft and with luck it will pay off. lol My main worry at this point is a stress fracture so I am being very careful. Good luck to you also.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I went into this post looking for other peoples experiences and treatments they received for a 5th metatarsal break. I suffered one sun and saw podiatrist on tuesday (hate er and Monday was a holiday). Anyway like I said I came to this site to find out how others in my situation are being treated and how they r feeling in the healing process. Please disregard any misspellings on iPhone and just don't have the patience right now to worry about proper spelling and punctuation.
    Like I said I am in day 3 of this break. I was prescribed a knee length walking boot. I was told to wear at all times except for showering and sleeping. I am in more pain walking than when it first happened - another reason I visited site. I only 2nd day of boot. Doing my best not to walk. Also using ice and a compression type stocking for swelling. I guess what I'm trying to find out is have people who had this break healed in 3 weeks? Doc scheduled follow up visit in 3 weeks and said if not healed I may need surgery.
    What is making me respond here is "footdoc". I watch House and Doc Martin and u footdoc are a cross between both. I think hysterical.
    Obviously u enjoy this site and take pleasure in cutting people up for their questions. You are the reason people go to posts. We don't enjoy talking to doctors. That being said lighten up. U could probably help a lot of people with just sensible replies to some questions Give us lay people a break.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think pain is a good indication you need to stay off of it ... use Advil before the pain gets too uncomfortable. Your break sounds a bit more severe than mine. I was unable to put ANY weight or pressure at all on my foot until I put the pneumatic velcro boot on which allowed me to walk out of the podiatrist's office, no problem. I still have periodic pain (no Advil needed at this point, day 6), wear the boot at all times, and carry on as usual except for driving. If I were you, I wouldn't start walking on it (wearing your boot) until you can do so with relatively little pain. Common sense really. I'm thinking it will take at LEAST 6 -8 weeks to heal enough to walk w/o a boot. In the meantime, join Netflix and relax with some good movies. Good luck!

8. Well, it's been over 3 months. and this goddamn foot is still not healed. They call it a non-union. I think it's because I drink too much. I eat healthy, drink milk, and exercise so I can' think of any other reason it wouldn't heal. I've even resorted to wearing this silly looking shoe. And a BGS machine.

9. TMIF

TMIF Guest

I really appreciate all the expert advice on here.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my 5th metatarsal about 3 weeks ago, I go the doc for the 3 week check up this Thurs. I was given an aircast because of the type of break it was (avulsion fracture). Something to consider is that ibuprofen and even tylenol will inhibit osteoblast proliferation (new research from April 2011) and taking arginine has been shown in animal studies to drastically speed up healing (take at least 100mg/kg/day), but check the risks before trying it (people with cancer or herpes of the eye or brain shouldn't take it - I don't know if there are other contraindication since I am not a physician). My type of break takes an average of about 4 weeks to heal based on research of registries (from 3 to 6 weeks). I expect my foot to be fully healed when I go to the doc on Thurs. Science is a wonderful thing. Prayer is too. I used crutches for about 2 weeks and when the pain was tolerable, I walked. I have little to no pain right now when in the aircast and don't use the crutches any more.

11. Blastofist

Blastofist Guest

It's scientifically proven that prayer does nothing for bone healing.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've just returned home from A+E with my 11 year old daughter who has broken the base of her 5th metatarsal. I don't want any advice really, I was just curious about her injury and wanted to gather some information that might help in her recovery over the next few weeks.

My daughter wasn't given a boot of any kind and her foot wasn't put in plaster, her treatment is that she wear a support bandage (to be removed before bed) and she has been provided with crutches. We where advised that she rest it and shouldn't put any weight on it. She was given pain relief. We are to go back to a fracture clinic in about 10 days.

I was under the impression that this was a minor break and would be healed by the time we go back to the clinic. From reading previous posts I now get the impression it could take at least 6 weeks to heal!

I took a photo of the xray but I can't see a way that I can post it on here, I wouldn't mind knowing the average time scale for the healing process of this kind of injury.

13. 5tarsal

5tarsal Guest

I'm also looking for a way to post a picture of my X-Ray. I would like opinion from others on the board about what kind of break this is, and what the prognosis might be. I'm looking for info on healing times and general care. Is it best to leave my foot elevated the entire 6 weeks that it's healing? How about taking a shower versus a bath. Which is better for healing?

Thanks

14. VickieAnn

VickieAnn New Member

I think keeping the foot elevated is only needed when there is swelling. Alot depends on what type of break you have. A Jones fracture does seem to be the hardest to heal. This is due to very small blood supply to that part of the foot. I was in a boot for 8 wks then sturdy shoes for two more wks. I broke mine and had a Jones fracture on July 20. I am now wearing regular shoes but I have a lot of pain and swelling in the foot. Dr said it could swell for up to 6 months, not sure about the pain. I had osteopenia after the boot came off though so I worry about getting a stress fracture, probably need to go back to my ortho. I would ask my doctor what type of break you have and that will make it a little easier for answers.

15. karenm

karenm Guest

This is very strange............. I am Karen M. I wrote the first posting but someone else has come in as Karen M and written the second posting above saying 'dont tell me what to do' to the foot doc............. how weird!!!!

Anyway its been 5 months now and my foot is still broken, I still cant run or ride a bike. It really has been a long time and I have re-evaluated a lot of things. If anyone wants any exercise ideas I have tons, just ask!!

16. I would very like advise on excerise. I used to be an avid runner but now I just sit around eating potatoe chips and watching dancing with the stars. this is very depressing.

17. VickieAnn

VickieAnn New Member

karenm I am with you this seems to be dragging on forever. My dr turned me lose on 9/1 with very little instructions and now I am not sure what to do. It has been 12 wks today since I got my Jones fracture and I have more pain and swelling then I did when it happened. I wore my athletic shoes for 3 wks after I stopped wearing the boot but my ft would swell so bad that the shoe made my ft hurt. The dr did say I had bad osteopenia in the ft so to be careful not to get a stress fracture. I could sure use some exercises if will help this ft heal.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

... i got the same and benn told to not put weight on it at all or you can walk only if there is no pain but its high risk of longer recovery.. there is two types of this fracture Avulsion and Jones. I'm trying to avoid steps on the foot at least for for weeks.. if you keep steping on it then it will keep opening it self... that is my opinion... or go and ask another doctor..

19. I would like to give you an update. My foot is healing well. There is a lot of calcification happening and we should be back to normal in 2 weeks. This bone growth stimulator is great. It's like magic or something because you don't even feel it working.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

dear foot doc. i have broken my 5th metatarsal about 6 weeks ago. healing is going well....however, when one is sitting at home all day with an injury like this, it's only natural to constantly seek answers via the internet, especially when we all have lives to get back to...i understand that some of the questions people ask may seem simple to you, but to US they're important....so if you don't have anything to say except for something INCREDIBLY rude, shut your ****ing mouth please. ps. the advice you DO give, when you deign to do so ..well it sucks.
    kisses!