1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Safe to Walk in Walking Boot with a 5th Metarsal Fracture?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a case specific question. Before I ask, I do understand that each person is different and each case is different. I am merely asking to see if anyone has been given the advice that I had, and what results were obtained.

I fractured my 5th metatarsal in an ankle rolling injury. My break was described as "a transverse, avulsion fracture where the fracture is 2mm apart and closely aligned." This injury occurred on thanksgiving morning, 11/25/10. I decided to seek medical attention the next morning because my foot was very swollen after following the RICE method. After speaking with an ER doctor I followed up with my orthopedic doctor on Monday 11/29. He placed me in a walking boot and allowed me to use my crutches. He stated to me that I can walk with the boot as long as pain isn't present. For the first 3 weeks I stayed strict on my crutches with no weight bearing. Finally after 3 weeks since the injury date, I began walking on my walking boot. I have no pain when I walk with my walking boot. I have a follow up appointment on Monday 12/27/10.

I would like to know if anyone has ever been through this same experience. I am concerned if walking with this boot on is safe without the risk of re-injuring my foot or maybe impeding the healing process. I will ask my doctor to verify if it is in fact ok, but until then any experience is appreciated.

2. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

Am I missing something here? Seems your doctor told you under what conditions in his opinion you may walk with the boot. Why, as any answer you receive you state you would ask him to verify and ostensibly only then rely upon it, would you suspect that he would now change his mind?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

no, i doubt he will change his mind. i have just been reading other posts from differents sites and this one as well, where different experiences resulted in a re-injury or further damage to the fracture site, after being instructed to walk on the foot (with the boot) as long as pain isnt felt. Call me over cautious, i just wanted to know if this is a typical occurence or possibly someone's misfortune.

4. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

My point was that if, in the final analysis, you are only going to act on whatever answer you obtain if you verify it with your doctor, and you already know what his opinion is on the matter, and you don't think he will change his mind, what is the point in your asking?

FOOT DOC

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My point of asking is mere curiosity. What is your point on responding to the original thread in question if you are not going to provide any feedback other then further questions. Your response has no relevance to the point of this site. It is a forum to share/gather information and share experiences. If you have neither to offer then respectfully keep your condenscending comments to yourself.

Dgiggles likes this.
  6. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

How's that expression of "curiosity" workin' out for you Bub? As the major responder to medical question here for several years, I, not YOU, can better determine what questions are in line with the point of this site. Your question was inappropriate because a direct answer to it would have been a waste of time, as is your response.

FOOT DOC

7. Smokey

Smokey Guest

I'm sure the original poster is now walking just fine without a boot, but I wanted to post in case other people come across this posting:

I also had a base 5th met fracture, transverse, 4mm displaced. Though mine was a bit slow to heal, I was told as well that I could walk on it as tolerated in the boot.

I think the poster was worried because he'd read information about Jones fractures, and was confusing that with his own fracture, a misconception FootDoc could easily have cleared up. It is usually Jones fracture patients who have problems when weightbearing too soon, and are sometimes told they should weightbear and then have problems later. Avulsion fractures (the base of the 5th met) don't normally have the slow healing issue to the degree of a Jones fracture.

Hope this helps someone else who looks for answers here.

Dgiggles likes this.
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Nicely said Smokey and thanks. I was coming on too to see the replys

9. AZ Doc

AZ Doc Guest

Wow, I just read that thread about the patient who was concerened about weather a walking book should be worn and the "FOOT DOC" just acted like an asshole to this person. I am a physician and I do have patients that ask questions over and over that seem over cautious. I have and would never make them feel stupid with any of my responses. You call yourself a physician? You have the personality of a tired cranky health professional that has no business answering questions on a forum if you are going to think you are so superior to the world. You acted like a jerk to this person. I feel sorry for your in-office patients!

Dgiggles likes this.
  10. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think the Great and Wonderful Oz!! opps... I mean the Foot Doc has seen a shrink or has passed away or maybe just got tired of being a pretentious dick and moved onto on an arena that is more suitable for his style. I haven't seen many post by him recently.
    People use this site to glean info from people who are going through similar circumstances. There is no shoe that fits everyone and people know that. Most people just want to talk to someone who is joining through roughly the same thing they are.
    Thank care all!!

Dgiggles likes this.
  12. Marylou

Marylou Guest

This helped me so much. Thank you dearly. Marylou 8/20/12.

13. Margfromaus

Margfromaus Guest

Hi, I have a transverse fracture through the base of the 5th metatarsal with minimal displacement. I was sent home from the the hospital X-ray dept with my results and was advised to make an appointment with the fracture clinic ASAP. As I couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks and I had no support for the foot I went to my GP the next day for advice. He suggested I go back to hospital outpatients for assistance. I was then given a fibre glass backslab support and told to hire crutches from the local chemist and also told to (find) a cam (or moon boot) till I could get to the fracture clinic. I chose not to go to the fracture clinic as they were quite rude to me when I tried to make an appointment.
    I am using the cast at night and have managed to buy a second hand cam boot to use with my crutches during the day. I intend going back to my GP for a follow up X-ray in about 5 weeks. After reading some of the stories I now hope I am not damaging my foot further as it is only 3 weeks since turning my foot.
    It has been interesting to read stories of people with a similar fracture. I am 71 and never realised how common this fracture is.
    Whatever happened to the days of breaking a bone, being xrayed, plastered and sent home with crutches from hospital then back to out patients. I really worry about the medical system now, especially for my grand children.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have a Jones fracture, 5th week. Doctor said I can start walking without my cam but need to wear a GOOD pair of "tennis" shoes. Said pain should be my guide as to when to not walk. He did not provide any examples of shoes that would be good to wear. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced pair of proper shoes? Thank you!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I can relate to most of the comments here. I too have been confused about my fracture. No cast, er told me to call an ortho. nobody seemed to care. just a follow up in 3 weeks. the 1st week I had the luxury of staying in bed. the 2nd week I was up and about a little with crutches. now I am walking short distances with a boot and no crutches. am I supposed to use my crutches even though it seems I don't need them? should I be walking around? I can see the whole bottom of my leg has atrophied in just 2 weeks. I feel pretty good but I don't want to blow it.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my 4th and 5th metatarsal just 8 days ago. The day it happened I was placed in a splint and sent home. I had my first ortho appointment 5 days after the break. The doctor had put me in a walking boot and had said I was weight bearing as tol. To me he seemed crazy I have never experienced so much pain just resting with my broken foot to imagine walking on it. I know it sounds strange to question the doctors opinion, but 5 days after the break seems strange to be told I could walk on it. He also did not schedule me with a follow up appointment. Is it safe to walk in this boot so early in the break?

17. Vonne

Vonne Guest

18. Catherine

Catherine Guest

I had a mri that diagnosed bursitis of 5th metatarsal. Feels like someone is stabbing my foot with an ice pick when I walk on it . Dr before mri gave me cam boot. I could only wear it for 1 week due to hip pain on opposite side, and pain in big toe from lifting weight of boot . It did make my 5th metatarsal feel better.
    The site is very red and swollen despite staying off it as much as possible and icing it .
    The dr is going to cast my feet next week for custom orthotics.
    I have read that you shouldn’t put any pressure on area ... that doesn’t make sense as to why the dr ordered the cam boot .
    Will I do more damage to it if I return to using cam boot ? I was going to order an even up for the other foot to make the height difference more even , in hopes it alleviates hip pain when wearing the boot .
    Will pt and ultrasound help this problem? I’m petrified to have it drained... and I don’t tolerate steroids well at all so not looking for cortisone shots.
    Somebody please help me sort out all the conflicting information I’m reading online regarding cam boots , immobilization, and bursitis.
    Thank you!

Ps ..... I supinate.... most wear in shoes is on outside of my foot , which is probably why I now have bursitis.... I also have high arches.

19. I agree

I agree Guest

20. Jerry99

Jerry99 Guest

Rude, Bub. Your reply is arrogant, bullying and judgmental. You are the "major responder" primarily because you are an arrogant, egotistical living opinion. You won't be missed.