1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Toe pain/flexing by itself - nerve problem?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had this problem for years but it was never as frequent as it is now.

For no reason whatsoever--can be walking, sitting, laying down, after activity, after no activity--in my left foot I will get an awful pain like a cramp in the middle top portion by my center toe and the toe next to my big toe. The toe next to my big toe will straighten out and point downward by about 45 degrees while the toes to the left of it will point up a bit. I will not be able to move my toes unless I manually put pressure on the underside of my foot and hold my toes, moving them back and forth. Sometimes this releases the pain, other times nothing works and it stays like this for 10, 20 minutes.

It seems like sometimes, there is a mild pain or stiffness in my hip socket when this occurs.

Anyone have this problem, too, or know what causes it?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It sounds like a cramp or a muscle spasm, but that does not address its cause. Benign as well as serious neuromuscular conditions might be among the considerations, but it may be difficult for you to obtain a diagnosis, as it is unlikely that it will occur in the presence of a doctor. I would recommend a hands-on evaluation, but be certain to think through and be prepared to offer a description with extreme detail, as that might all the doctor has to go on.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This happens to me, too. When I wear completely flat shoes with no arch support, then I would experience it more often. So I am thinking there is some connection with fallen arches and some sort of nerve irritation. The pain is incredibly intense and just comes out of nowhere.