1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain developed 4 month after Calcaneal Osteotomy

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I am 4 months post Calcaneal Osteotomy and heel shift and over the last 7 to 10 days pain has developed underneath my foot in the heel , arch and extending down the outer edge of my foot. Sometimes the heel feels quite hot and the pain is now constant whether weight bearing or resting.
    Can anybody advise me what could be the problem?
    Thank you.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    I am answering my own question after seeing my consultant today and I hope this helps fellow sufferers in the future!
    I have a tissue fracture in my Plantar Fascia caused by doing too much too soon!
    When the heel was shifted they do not detach the plantar fascia and it needs a readjustment period to realign and elongate.
    Whilst stretching and flexing is good exercise I have been too vigorous..my work involves crouching, squatting, reaching etc and I have purposely been pushing my foot hoping to 'break through that pain barrier'..but I have only injured myself through being over zealous and craving the normal flexibility I had before so soon after my op!
    Apparently 4 months is only a short step down the road to recovery and so for future patients..patience is the key! Take it slow and be gentle with your foot!!
    Despite the pain, I am just so relieved that the problem is what it is and not surgical..so rest and some physio is what the doctor has ordered!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your post. I am 10 weeks post calcaneal Osteotomy surgery as well. I came out of the boot yesterday. I am wondering how long before I can walk without pain or swelling. I know I still have a long way to go and reading your post makes me feel better that it's just going to take time and lots of it.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 12 weeks post calcaneal ostecomy and having much pain underneath my heel. Hot burning pain. It was so helpful to hear what happens when they shift the heel bone. Makes sense the plantar fasciatis it going to be traumatized and get sore. Please keep providing updates especially if there is a way to relieve it. I have ordered an ortho sock to wear at night. Hoping that helps. I am fed up with the feeling of walking on hot rocks. Good luck fellow sufferers.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    I am 5 months out and while my heel is doing quite well (no burning sensation or pain) I am experiencing swelling in front and on top of the ankle that seems to not want to subside. Also, the ankle is still very stiff when stepping forward in a walking pace (lacking range of motion). Has anyone else experienced this, is it normal? I, too, feel I may have pushed it too fast and too soon, I am a dancer and am chomping at the bit to get back to work.

I see my surgeon next week for more post op xrays and follow up, so I know I can speak to him, but I am just wondering what other patients have to say about this.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    NYCdancer

6. Hi I am 4 and a half months post calcaneal osteotomy and have suddenly developed acute pain under my heel left foot right side. I was very interested to hear about the facia muscle underneath the foot which makes perfect sense. I started physio 2 weeks ago and have been doing my exercises twice daily all of which include stretching and likewise have been pushing myself also. You have made me feel a little better fingers crossed I have done the same thing and do not require further surgery as I would be devastated if that was the case.

7. Allan k

Allan k Guest

I have seen numerous thread replies about severe pain under the foot, but no replies that the issue ever resolved. Has anyone who experienced this severe pain from this surgery ever fully recovered? I too am seeing no relief in these symptoms after 3.5 months following the surgery.