1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Ruth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Ruth

Ruth Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have Plantar Fascitis and have been given some medication for the problem. I was just wondering, I went to a foot doctor several years ago with a heal spur. I would go to that doctor once a week and he would message my feet then put duck tape on my feet from the ball of my foot to my heal then another peace on my arch. Can you tell me what that did to stop the pain and would it help to do that aganin?
    Thanks for your help
    Ruth

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    What you are describing is what is commonly known as a "plantar rest strap," and is often an integral part of the conservative treatment of plantar fasciitis. The term "heel spurs" as a diagnosis is rarely used now that it has been long-known that the spur on the plantar of the heel is but a common finding associated with plantar fasciitis, but is neither the cause of the pain nor does it generally require removal.

Plantar fasciitis is a term describing one the most common problems seen in podiatry. It is one cause by too much tension on the plantar fascia . . . a broad and tough band of fibrous tissue which arise from the plantar tubercle of the heel bone and fans out over the sole of the feet, ending near the ball of the foot. The point of maximum pain with plantar fasciitis is generally the area of the heel bone from which the plantar fascia arises, as pressure from weight bearing cause micro-tears at the point where it connect to the bone. Along with a predisposing foot structure, a number of conditions can cause a propensity to have this condition, including being over-weight, being overly active on the feet, repeated wearing low or no-heel shoes and having an excessively tight Achilles tendon.

Conservative treatment generally involves the use of anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS by mouth and/or local corticosteroid injections), temporary supportive taping, as you have experience and finally the use of a supportive devices such as an orthotic or common arch support. Successful conservative treatment is generally a controlled situation rather than one of "cure," and often requires a dedication to life-style changes, such as weight control and prudent use of excercise and activities. Also, the use of shoes without heels, slippers and going barefoot should be avoided, as such increases the tension on the plantar fascia.

Beyond conservative treatment there are other more radical options which should generally only be considered when an appropriate attempt at conservative care has failed.

There is perhaps more information on this topic than any other subject on this site, and such can be easily search with the search option on the top menu of this page.

3. I have a morton's neuroma in my left foot and have now developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot. My condition seems to differ from that of the general suffer in that neither condition bothers me during the daytime when I am up and around on my feet all day but they bother me immensely when I lay down for the night. I have lost many a good night's sleep as a result. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on why this seems to be the case? Thank you

I am a 36 yr old male of normal weight (5'8, 145 lbs), do not suffer from any disease such as diabetes, am a professor and am not overly active.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Plantar Fasciitis & pain relief finally!!!!

Had PF & heel spurs 3yrs!!! tryed everything, even doctor made custom inserts garbage!! Finally pain relief, DR. Scholls NITA sneakers can walk & work out!!!!