1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Outside foot pain from distance running

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by LisaB, May 10, 2010.

1. LisaB

LisaB Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    About 36hrs after completing a 12k race, I began experiencing pain on the outside of my foot. It's been a full week since the race and the pain is not going away. I was not training for this race, only running about half the distance a few times in the weeks prior, and slacking off due to school demands. I was wondering if this pain is due to stress from the long distance. It's only in one foot so I don't suspect shoes were the culprit.

The location of the pain is difficult to explain without showing you but I'll do my best.

My foot is tender to light pressure a little forward of and just below my outer ankle. When I walk normally (as if there is no discomfort/pain), I experience pain along the outside of my foot, and on the bottom of my foot- just in front of the heel. So I've been walking on my tip toes on this foot, but this quickly tires my calves. I also walk on my heel but that is pretty awkward in public in general. When I point my toes to stretch, I experience the pain along the outside of my foot.

I have gone running which further increased the pain. Dumb, I know. I just wanted to push through it in the initial stages. But playing soccer in cleats was not painful at all! I wondered if this was due to the stiffness of the sole. I have been icing & heating my foot for 2 days now, but haven't noticed a decrease in pain.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the exact small problem and symptoms. I was a daily runner of 5 miles. I ran a 1/2 marathon and that is when my foot pain started. After resting a few days and attempting to run again, I decided it might be a stress fracture so maybe I should give it adequate rest. I ended up only staying completely inactive for three weeks. I got horribly out of shape, but my foot pain went away! I guess that is better than paying to go see a Dr. I started back running slowly, only a few times a week and am now able to run pain free. Not sure what it was but it needed complete rest to heal. Hope your feet gets better soon! I know how awful it is to try and not run....

I was however, during all that, able to play basketball a few times pain free.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow, those are my exact symptoms....Do you have an update? I have a sports medicine appointment today. The pain is just increasing and I am on day 4 from my long run. I am assuming it has something to do with the peroneal tendon. I hope it all worked well for you.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yeah I had the exact same symptoms (only in one foot, only pain when walking the next day onwards, same location) after running a half marathon a couple of years ago, without training. But the pain went away after a couple of weeks and hasn't come back from other activity such as 3-4 day walks hours of biking etc, shorter runs on treadmills etc.

But this weekend I did the city 2 surf 14K run, different shoes, but the next day pain is back in the same foot and same place. Was hoping to try for another half marathon in Mid Sept since I had time to train for it and considered the 14k run was good training for the half marathon. Do you think this recurring injury means I just simply shouldn't run long distance?

5. ally

ally Guest

when I was at school I was running on a crub and my foot went side ways and it poped and now I have a bump on the left side of my foot what should I do.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

LisaB, did you ever figure out what was causing your symptoms? I am experiencing EXACTLY what you described. I'm training for a 10 mile race, and ran 7 miles on Saturday and 4 miles on Sunday. This morning my right foot hurt so badly I could barely walk. After extensive googling it seems like I have peroneal tendonitis, but I'm not sure and I'd love to know how you treated your injury.

Thanks!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello

I just ran a half marathon yesterday the 14th of April. I too have this outside foot problem. In speaking with my father who is an avid runner and researching online. Sounds like it needs time to heal. Definitely from not training properly and also could be because you ran and leaned on this one side of the foot the whole race. If its not better in a week, I may see a podiatrist.

To the person who posted on April 8th, do you feel any better a week later?

Thanks