1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

black dot on big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a small (2ish mm) black dot on the tip of my big toe. It is round, non-raised, and looks like someone put the tip of a sharpie on it, but it has been there for a few weeks now. Any ides of what it could be? Should it be looked at right away or just monitored?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Yes, as a generic answer, it needs to be ruled out as something of significance by someone who knows what he/she is looking out. See a dermatologist.

Shoepractitioner likes this.
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OP, did you get it looked at? I have the exact same thing just above the instep of my right foot.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Did you not read my response about the possibility of its being a serious, maybe even life-threatening condition. Even in the unlikely event that you get a response from someone who asked a questions almost 6 months ago, would you even consider that being useful information for you in light of the potential for serious problems to which I alluded?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doc,
    Your 1st post on this thread seemed to be a bit blasé. Didn't seem to caution that it was an urgent matter to get the black spot looked at, but would be a good idea to rule out anything significant. Your 2nd post then seemed to be an urgent call to action. As though I'm an idiot for even bothering asking how it went for the OP while I wait to get in to see my Dr. So, in your experience, how likely is it that this is anything serious & if it could be serious, what might it be?
    Thanks

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I indicated to the original poster that it needs to be ruled out as a significant lesion. Blasé, it was NOT! I didn't imply that you were an idiot, although you seemed to infer that. What I told you was that you are kidding yourself if you really think that it is likely that someone who posted a question 6 months ago would be still checking this site for questions such as you asked about whether he sought hands-on help and how it turned out. Any questioner who routinely monitors a site such as this long after there has been no further responses to his/her question to possibly hear about the foot problems of others has more serious problems than just those related to his or her feet. Finally, black spots CAN and sometimes are found to be serious lesions such as a life-threatening melanoma. In most cases they are not, but owing to the need for immediate life-saving treatment if they are, they all need to have a knowledgeable hands-on evaluation. I have personally saved lives in this manner. Is THAT, sufficiently non-blasé for you?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What is a black dot aprox. 2cm long that is dark brown that is not a mole?

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

What is is is a sign that you need to have it looked at by a doctor.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

have you got it looked at?? because the same thing is happening to me ever since 2 yrs ago and it swells when it is wet

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same thing and it hurts when I touch it , it is like a bruse . It looks like a black/brown blob about the size of a small pea. It looks like it is under the skin of my toe.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the same thing exsept it does not hurt not bruised it is just under skin

12. bigtoe

bigtoe Guest

I noticed the black dots under both of my big toe nails over 6 months ago. Now, sometype thick plastic looking hardening is covering most of the nail. I have been trying to cut it off by the regular nail comes off with it.

I have a dog. Could it be a flea or tick? My dog takes a pill once a month for flea and heart disease. And a spray for ticks.

I don't know what to do beside keep piling back the nail so it can go away.

Please advise.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

DISCLAIMER:
    that foot doc guy is a complete tool.
    sometimes people come to these to confirm what their doctor has told them, or to explore other ideas that their doc might not have explained.

why are there even message boards to discuss things with other people going through the same issues if some jerk is just going to go on the offensive to anyone asking for advice?

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was totally bewildered by "foot doc's" comments and reaction to an otherwise perfectly fine comment. Anyhow I came here because I have the same thing. It looks like a sharpie marker. It's definitely through layers of my skin, not a surface thing. After I took a shower and my foot was wet, I kind of picked a little bit and saw that it went down in layers. I have an appointment with the doctor, but in the meantime thought I would do a little research. I am a little disappointed to find that there have been no updates by people who have seen doctors, so if anyone is reading this that posted earlier and have seen the doctor I would be curious to know what they said. Thank you much!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have just discovered the same exact thing. Just like if I took the tip of a sharpie marker and placed it there. Other than cancer, WHAT ARE THE POSSIBILITIES?

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Anyone? I just noticed the same thing: a dot on the end of my big toe. Hopefully the Foot Doc has gone away.

17. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack Guest

Had to have a good chuckle over this post. As a doctor, I can assure you that the only productive posts in this thread were from footdoc. His or her first post said very precisely all there is to say.

18. m.henthorn

m.henthorn Guest

19. random123

random123 Guest

I have the same thing, a VERY small, black, flat dot on the right tip of my big toe. Funny thing is that my BEST friend got the same thing on her left toe at the same time I did, crazy. But I am studying medicine in school right now and know that malignant cancer cells can cause moles like the ones we all say to have on our toes, however that may not be the case. They don't have to be cancerous, but you should check it out just in case!

20. Shocked

Shocked Guest

Foot doc may have said all there is to say... But the bedside manner is the worst I've seen. I would never recommend this site - don't want to be patronised and humiliated by some self-righteous jerk.