1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden pain and swelling by my big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It's gout.
    I live a fit and healthy life and I'm a long term sufferer of gout.
    Be thankful its only in your toe and doesn't spread.....
    Food plays a big part but for me its more about drinking lots of water to keep it at bay.
    Hope this helps............

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

U should check out something called Gout it is a type of arthritis, It is more common in males but does happen in females it occurs in the big toe mostly but there are other places it happens too. It will start as a little pain and then with in hours become swollen and red and very painful. It will recur and if not taken care of it will get worse My husband has it and it started off only getting it like once a year or so and lately it has been happening every month. He is going to try the meds they have for it now.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. gonz

gonz New Member

I have similar pain on 4th toe (started 4 weeks ago). A blood test showed that it was not gout as my uric acid levels are ok. X-rays help determine that it was Morton's Neuroma. I recieved a steroid shot today to reduce the swelling near the nerve. I also stepped and walked on a padded foam which measures foot pressure, for the purpose of creating a custom orthotic device to reduce pressure and compression on the nerve. Prior to my doctors appointment, I used with some success, ibuprofen and icing.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm sorry, but you clearly have NO understanding of what you're talking about if you think ONE BBQ can give you gout. That's like thinking going to the gym ONCE makes you a bodybuilder, or one self defense class makes you an MMA fighter. It's ludicrous. Also, googling the symptoms doesn't make it accurate diagnostically. I high a very low uric acid intake, very high fluid consumption, and an extreme degree of physical activity, making gout very highly unlikely, as your vegan diet does in you.

Which, by the way, is not good for your health at all unless you take supplements to make up for what you're missing by not intaking complex proteins.

5. dallaschick9

dallaschick9 Guest

I am 64 years old and recently have had daily swelling of the area between my big and second toe. The swelling is on the top of my foot. I recently did a lot dancing at my sisters party and the swelling and pain came 36 hours later. That's been two weeks ago and it still hurts bad. I had 3 exrays done and of course they don't get back to you right away. I have the beginings of Osteopenia also.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

Relax it must due to the excessive stress on your foot. Try massaging your and also do some icing. One important thing is you should Elevate Your Foot whenever resting or sleeping. Take medications regularly as advised by doctor or podiatrist. Osteopenia might also be the cause of it.

7. Barb G

Barb G Guest

8. Barb G

Barb G Guest

Sesamoids are small bones that are connected only to tendons or are embedded in muscle. This structure appears in only a few places in the human body, one of which is the foot. Two very small sesamoids (about the size of a kernel of corn) are found in the underside of the forefoot near the big toe—one on the outer side of the foot and the other closer to the middle of the foot. Sesamoids provide a smooth surface over which the tendons slide, thus increasing the ability of the tendons to transmit muscle forces. In the foot, sesamoids assist with weight-bearing and help elevate the bones of the big toe.

Like other bones, sesamoids can fracture. Additionally, the tendons surrounding the sesamoids can become irritated or inflamed, which is called sesamoiditis and is a form of tendonitis. Sesamoiditis is a common condition among ballet dancers, runners, and baseball catchers because of the pressures placed on their feet.

Symptoms include:

• Pain under the big toe or on the ball of the foot.
    • Swelling and bruising.
    • Difficulty and pain in bending and straightening the big toe.
    Surgery is usually not required to treat sesamoiditis. Treatments generally include:

• Discontinuation of the activity causing the pain and inflammation.
    • Over-the-counter pain medications and anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen and aspirin. Note: Please consult your physician before taking any medications.
    • Icing the sole of the foot.
    • Wearing shoes that are soft-soled and low-heeled.
    • Using cushioning in shoes to relieve stress.
    • Injection of a steroidal medication to reduce swelling.
    If symptoms persist, you may need to wear a removable brace on the leg for 4-6 weeks to give the inflammation time to subside and the bones to heal.

9. Ashaan

Ashaan New Member

Hi all,

I am a 53 year old male. Active and fit. Dont drink alcohol regularly. Dont eat meat regularly. Dont smoke.
    I am presently in pain in the same big toe bunion area. Same symptoms as everyone else.

I must admit though. I was in the USA for 8 days. And ate a lot of steaks,burgers and racks :)

I have suffered the same issue more than once.

The diagnosis?

I went to an ER and or Orthopaedic surgeon at least twice. Spending half a day. Because I didn't remember the cause of the pain and swelling. They put me through x rays and uric acid test. All tests came negative and they were clueless about my condition. One ER gave me a Voltaren pain killer and sent me off. The ortho plastered my foot, gave me Voltaren injection and tablets and sent me home. The pain and swelling went away after approx 4 days.

As another forum member mentioned. I dont go to ER and waste my time any more. I ferment the foot with hot water, rub traditional oil and western ointments and take pain killers. And use crutches until the pain and swelling subsides.
    Using crutches takes away the weight off that foot and helps with the healing.

10. Diana Regal

Diana Regal Guest

I was thinking the same thing! Here I am looking for some help but just a bunch of useless comments...sheesh!

11. John Lemon

John Lemon New Member

It is bad that most of us (women) go through this severe pain. I am a 35, female, active at my workplace, no drinking, and no overweight. I had it a few months before and tried healing the pain with everything I could. A friend of mine suggested me going to a physical therapist. They are experts of healing pains, I tell you. I feel much better now, and my swelling is also gone. I would suggest you consult a certified physical therapist for this problem.