1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

All nails (Toe and finger) fell off toddler

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My 7 yr old just noticed the same thong on three of her fingernails. As a doctor myself, I never saw this or remember studying it in medical school. My kids all had the coxsackie virus roughly 6 weeks ago as well. This should be a documented case study!
    I'm glad to know so many others are experiencing this and it's nothing too alarming. Will call her pediatrician tomorrow.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 15 yr old daughter also had what we thought was a nasty cold, sore throat, stuffy/runny nose ect...she also had a rash on her hands and feet. It was sort of like a dermatitis kind of rash, but it did not itch. There was no swelling that we could see, but she said her hands and feet kind of ached. She also had one spot on her let, that sort of looked like a pimple. I took her to the doctors mainly to check for strep, and because of the rash. The doctor tested for strep, and it was negative, he ruled out poision ivy, ect, and said it was just a cold, and gave her a cream for the spot on her leg. All in all he wasnt sure about the rash. About 3 weeks later, my daughters hands and feet were peeling from the rash, and she said at least 3 nails on each hand were comming off. The nail were lifting off from the base of the finger nail, where the new nails were growing out. I took her back to the doctor, he said he had never seen this before, but was not worried, and thought it was some kind of virus and to let it take its course, and call if it happens again! In the mean time, my son was also sick with what he thought was strep, and he had a rash on his hands. Again strep was ruled out, and the rash resembled exactly what my daughter had, but did not itch. He had no rash on his feet. His hands after a few weeks also started to peel, and he is also losing his fingernails, and a couple of toe nails! I just found out my oldest daughters boyfriend has the same thing, same symptoms, and he is also losing fingernails, and toenails!!! I am getting worried that there is something more serious going around, and the doctors are not concerned enough about this! I have an auto-immune disease and am really worried on what it will do if I get it! I dont know if anyone here can tell me something more about this, are there any other people with the same symptoms!!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I notice a few weeks ago that my daughters nail seemed to have lifted at the cuticle, but upon closer examining it found it was no pain to her, and a new nail was growing healthy underneath. the same hapend with her midde finger and and now a few toesnails on each foot. I didnt even think of this until i just read it on one of these forums, but her feet also peeled as metionded above. it was like someone put elmers glue on her feet and let it dry... and it peeled off. weird. i dont know anythink about HFMD but i am gong to look into it. Her 4 yr apt is coming up and i will def ask!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you so much for the reassurance! My story is very similar to all of yours. My twin 1 year olds had HFM maybe 5 weeks ago and one daughter now has Elmer glue style skin peeling on her feet and a few of her nails on her feet and hands are peeling off. Again no pain or irritation and by the time her nails fall off there is a new nail grown up most of the way in its place.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 6 year old son is losing 6 of his finger/toe nails currently. I did some poking around as I am also losing one of my finger nails. About 6 to 8 weeks ago my son, daughter (4), and myself all developed strep throat. Both of my kids developed a rash on the trunks of their bodies with it and I was told by the doctor that it was normal and not a problem. Apparently a rash with strep makes it Scarlet Fever. After the rash goes away the skin can peel, and your nails are basically an extention of the skin. I believe this is the cause of him losing his nails and I have seen other posts talking about a skin rash and fever. Something you might look into.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey everyone, I was just looking up some reasons why this could be happening to my daughter.. I found this forum. she just had her 4th birthday monday and had a fever but no other symptoms at all for just a couple days, then her baby toenail on her L foot fell off.. and the others look like they are beginning to separate from the cuticle.. other than that the nails appear to be normal looking.. I saw someone said it could be because of nail polish?? she has me paint her nails ALL the time.. but this is the first time it has happened.. she is going to the doctor today.. but she never had the hand foot mouth thing you all are talking about.. any ideas????

J

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi.

My 3 year old son has experienced something very similar and I would be extremely grateful if you would let me know whether you ever got to the bottom of what caused the problem for your daughter or indeed whether it re-occured.

My sone was unwell with a swollen glands, mild temperature, cough etc and just as he seemed to be recovering he developed a rash all over his body. His was a red rash unlike your daughters'.

Two of the nails are currently being checked. However, I am concerned that there may be an underlining problem and would welcome any information you are able to offer.

Many thanks

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi.

My 3 year old son has experienced something very similar and I would be extremely grateful if you would let me know whether you ever got to the bottom of what caused the problem for your daughter or indeed whether it re-occured.

My son was unwell with a swollen glands, mild temperature, cough etc and just as he seemed to be recovering he developed a rash all over his body. His was a red rash unlike your daughters'.

Two nails which have fallen off are currently being examined for fungal infection. However, I am concerned that there may be an underlining problem and would welcome any information you are able to offer.

Many thanks

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 28 yr old female and was recently diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease. My dr told me I had the flu, but then I got these painfull and itchy bumps all over my hands and feet and a blister on my tongue along with sore throat so I went to the dermatoligist and he took a biopsy. 2 weeks later my results came back that it is hand foot and mouth disease. But now almost a month after that my nails are starting to seperate at the base (cuticle) and I know they will eventually fall off. Nobody posted on here about this happening to an adult, and I know hfmd is rare in adults and as far as I know nobody in my recent family has ever had it. However before I got it my 4month old had blisters on his hands and feet, but his looked like burns. I'm sure it was hfmd as well as it took a week to clear. But his nails didn't come off. I first noticed the white parts of my fingernails shaped weird and thought it was a vitamin deficiency. This is all too strange to me. Does this sound like a result of hfmd?

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there!
    I just read your daughters symptoms and couldn't believe how identical they were to my 2 yr old son's!
    I've been researching the same as yourself trying to find anything that matched the symptoms he's had and couldnt find a thing!
    It started off similar to a virus. Low fever, grumpy, then the rash came up. It was worse around his nappy area and underarms but it wasn't too severe. When the rash went away, after a few days his hands started to peel from the finger tips down his palms, then his feet started to do the same. Now the base of his fingernails are pink and the skin surrounding is slightly inflamed. I've just had a closer look and the nails are slowly growing off from the cuticle area. He also has a sore throat and inflamed glands.
    I thought at first that this was Scarlett fever and I took him to my doctor to be told otherwise. Although my doctor couldn't give me any explanation.
    If you find out any more information I would love to hear it because this is very strange!

11. OBRIEN5222

OBRIEN5222 Guest

look up kawasaki disease and get them treated by a cardiologist.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

well my 7 year old daughter also had her toenails to just fall off, im really concerned someone that worked with me said it was a sighn of dibeties, and that is how she found out that she was diebetic

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my daughters 8 now but when she was 6 her toenail just fell off with new toe nail under it, this has happened to her 4 times, i was at work talking to a friend about it, another woman that worked with me said that hers did that and thats how she found out that she was a diebetic, and back about 3 years ago she was in the hospital and her sugar was 188, they havent checked her dor it yet, because i havnt had any insurance to pay for them to test her so everyone might want to just run it by the doc to see if that could be what it is

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow your post is identical to what my 2.5 year old son has had, except that his fever was quite high, 104.9 at times. The doctor at the ER was convinced he had strep even though his screen was negative. So much so that they treated him with amoxicillin and did a 24 hr culture to test for strep. It too was negative and the next day he broke out into an itchy rash all over. It came and went for about 10 days. Then I noticed the skin on his feet peeling off in large pieces, and last week his nails began to peel off. He had Hand, Food, and Mouth Disease in the Fall and his fingernails and toenails came off with that, but that is fairly common. Anyway this time only fingernails so far. So glad to see that someone else has had the same thing. Further strengthens my though that it was a virus. Too bad we wont ever know which one.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The CDC (Center for Disease Control) website indicates that nail loss can occur about one month following a case of HFMD. So most of the comments above sound like HFMD to me. My daughter had a virus about a month ago that we thought was chicken pox at first. Several children in her church class had symptoms. But once it became obvious that the spots were primarily on her feet, hands, and mouth we realized it was HFMD. Her skin also peeled off (very unbecoming!) on her hands and feet. Now her toenails and fingernails are peeling from the base. When I found the info on the CDC site, I realized this was all connected. Hope this helps!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Our friends son had foot and mouth deiese and about 3 to 4 weeks later all his fingernails fell off and now his toe nails are falling off.his doc said it was due to the stress his body had fron the f&m diease

17. HEATHER

HEATHER Guest

My 2 yr old son started to what seemed like chicken pox the weird thing about it was that it was around the lip area, hands, and feet now his fingernails and toe nails are falling i started to google and the mouth, hand, and foot disease came up now reading about it i've come to the conclusion that this is what he has:( i will be taking him to the pediatrician to get checked out since he once had meningitis and this could trigger it to come back. I hope it goes away soon because hes lost 2 fingernails and his little toe nail and they all have like and ingrown nail on the bottom.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same thing here - my 5 year old had either HFM, Rocky Mountain or Scarlatina - anyway ,we've got the peeling nails now and I found a post by a DR on webmd that referenced an article and 3 out of 5 kids w/ HFM get the peeling nails about 6 weeks after the symptoms of HFM show up.

Question is - has anyone done anything to treat the peeling nails? Any suggestions or do you just wait it out? And after the nails peeled did it happen again?

Thank you!

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 5 year old son has fingernails falling off as most folks have described above. After reading these posts, I am leaning towadr this being a result of HFMD. I have he same question as the other parent, does the nail peeling/falling off stop after it falls off? Does this have to be treated? Thank you.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This started happening recently to my 4 year old son. I took him to the doctor and she stated that it is a result of his body fighting a virus probably a month or so ago. Back in June he had a decent and persistent fever and lesions on his throat. Although there were similarities with HF&M, all of his symptoms were not consistent so we weren't 100% sure what exactly we were dealing with. However, after reading these posts, HFM could have definitely been it. The pediatrician said when kids are really sick, their bodies prioritize what it needs to put its energy toward. Therefore fighting the virus wins, building finger and toe nails not so much.
    It has been a challenge keeping him from picking them making the matters worse. Although it looks painful it isn't. My son does say they are more tender when pushed on which makes sense since there is little protection of the nail bed. The pieces that my son has picked, I clip them as close as possible and carefully file the edges to prevent them from snagging further. I also keep socks on his feet to eliminate the urge to pick. That has helped. The doctor said it could take months for his nails to recover. It is very surprising that there is little information about this on the internet except on forums such as these.