1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swollen itchy toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by mumofthree, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My story about chillblains

I also have red, swollen, very itchy toe. Im only 12 I had it before on the third toe and it went away. After the New Year my toe on the other foot was itchy. The next day it became red and swollen. Today my mum told me to soak my feet in worm water with salt. Thanks for all the other methods though. I will try to soak them in ginger water because many people found it useful. And Im sure I have chilblains because my feel were very cold this winter and its terrible. I couldn't go swimming with my class. So my mum took me to a doctor and he didnt no wat it was so he said oh its nothing. But the most itchy time is in the evenining when Im lying in bed trying to fall asleep. I try not to scatch it because then it hurts alot. So does anyone else have different methods because this toe is causing so much pain and because of my toe I can go swimming or play on the grass because my shoe are not waterproof. I also have to keep my feet worm all the time and thats realy hard because I always go on the grass and I forget and I dont like waring woolen socks because they are very thick and then my shoes feel small. So can anyone help me? Or give me a method?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have that right now, too. Friends told me they would get it in Argentina winter when they're trying to keep feet too warm. There's no scaling, no flaky patches of white or red, that you'd see with athletes foot. Not sure it's chilbains for certain, but it is bright red swollen tight smooth shiny skin, on many toes. It is not patchy, and the itch feels like it comes from under the skin. I got hydrocortisone cream 1% today, it started working right away but it didn't like to be covered with socks. I'm sitting here right now with no socks and toes are happy. Last night i sliced a whole fresh ginger piece and simmered it in a pot for 30 mins., then when it cooled some soaked my feet; it nicely drew out the itch and my toes remained calm until today late afternoon, when I bought the 1% cream. I wasn't too tempted to get calamine lotion, witch hazel, or other itch creams like Aveeno, as they all say for insect bite, but they may have been just as effective. All said, the ginger soak is the least expensive method and it's pretty cool treatment!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This sounds like chilblains to me as already mentioned...just thought i'd clarify.

As a suffer of chilblains I can understand how uncomfortably itchy/red/swollen etc. your toes become.

I've heard that it generally occurs in older people, those who don't exercise regularly (should be thinking at least 4 times a week) and in my case, really bad foot circulation.

Basically, chilblains occurs when your circulation to your feet gets messed up, it is most common in winter months.

Heres some tips initiated by myself and a doctor, always wear socks/slippers, but don't just wear one thick pair of socks, its better to wear two thinner pairs because layers are good at trapping warm air.
    If you have sweaty feet that can just irritate your toes so give your feet some air every now and then (they need to breath whether you get sweaty or not!)

Dry you feet and toes immediately after being in water (ie shower/pool) to get rid of the water. Also when showering actually wash your feet properly, dirt and grime won't do much good.

I recommend putting on vaseline in the morning and when you wake up before putting on clean socks, this keeps your toes insulated and it also moisturises the 'tightness'. This really works! (well it does for me anyway) I would start putting the vaseline on early september, depending on where you live and the weather conditions there, its starts to get cold here mid september/october so a good few weeks of vaseline can help prevent/reduce the chilblains. Basically start a few weeks before it starts getting chilly. Or do it all year round if you always get chilblains, don't just stop for a week in the winter though your feet will get worse.

When your feet feel cold, wiggle your toes to keep the blood flowing down to your toes.

Hope this helps!! :)

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I noticed my painful itchy feet starts to burn as soon as I take my socks off after a long day. Didn't notice if this was only a winter thing yet, it recently started happening. But I've been woken up with my soles on fire and to itch feels great at first, but then it hurts awful. I recently started using Corn Huskers Lotion and it seems to help, but isn't preventing the initial itchy feet. After reading the posts, I believe my troubles are warm boots so I'm going to try to remember to wear shoes that breath better and maybe slowly bring my feet to room temperature before taking off the socks. Thanks all for sharing.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 20 year old sever about a week ago i noticed the top off my big toe I'm the crease was very itchy as time goes by it has gotten worse. My toes have these little red lumps that itch really bad and kind of produce a clear fluid from the lumps they are also swollen and really tight if anyone has a idea of what it could be i would really Appreciate it

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Chilblains!! i get them every year in cold season :( Chilblains are a tissue injury that occurs when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold and humidity. The cold exposure damages capillary beds in the skin, which in turn can cause redness, itching, blisters, and inflammation. Just keep your hands warm in cold weather because they can worsen

7. Iris Rideout

Iris Rideout New Member

I am a 72 year old woman and my symptoms, like many above, started about three years ago....color hot pink turning to purple after about a week; affecting one or more toes at a time;episodes last approx 2 wks, occurring several months apart, any time of the year (first time was in the summer);tops of toes only, never underneath or between; usually over joint closest to nail but not confined to joint area alone; itching occurs always in evening/night especially when toes are warm (walking barefoot on cool floor eases itch); wear Burkinstock sandles, so open to air and light. Don't think it is Chilblains but would love to find out what else it could be.

8. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

Take a good diet. Itching of toes or foot might be a sigh of allergy or some kind of skin problem. Please contact a podiatrist

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm 17, and starting in December I have what it appears to be gouts but I'm too young for that so I'm guessing it's what everyone else in this forum has, gosh I thought I was the only.one who had this annoying problem. It's been almost 2 months and I have no idea how.to get rid of it. It's gotten so bad, it gets worse after I take off my work shoes.

10. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

You have to become aware of your diet here is a chart for food containing less Purine / uric acid. http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm
    You may also need medication Please so, take advice from a foot doctor.
    Also Diet is one part but their might be other reasons too.

Drink plenty of water and Avoid standing and walking, give your foot some rest.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had some red swollen toes for the last 10 years that occur only in the winter time. It is usually on one toe on one foot. However, this year it is both feet on the 2nd and 3rd toes of each foot. It usually starts after wearing enclosed shoes with stockings and it seems like my feet slide around a little bit. Anyways, I went to a doctor a few years ago, with little success. He thought it was a fungus and gave me some cream. I knew that wasn't it and of course the cream didn't help. It eventually goes away and I never have it in the summer time. Anyways this past week has been horrible. My toes were swollen, red, and itchy and it was quite painful to walk. However, I do believe that I have found a cure!! I soaked my feet in epsom salt last nigh with warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes and what a difference it is today!! Seriously, my right foot did not hurt at all today and just a little in my left foot. I am currently soaking my feet again tonight. It really has made a difference. I still don't know exactly what cases the pain, but definitely know it is not a fungus. I believe it is more of a circulation problem. I am 49 but as stated earlier, I have had this about the last 10 years in the winter only. I am not overweight and I am very healthy. No health issues and I take no medications. Please give the epsom salt a try. I used about 1/2 cup in a bucket of water. Best of luck!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just want to say thank you for the advice posted. I had all the symptoms mentioned by others, I also have mild Raynauds and therefore often have cold feet, I now realise using a hot water bottle in bed is probably what's caused my chilblains. I've soaked my feet twice, once with Epsome Salts and the other with boiled up root ginger and been using Balmosa (camphor cream), what a difference in a couple of days.

I can't believe the advice on some health websites that nothing really works and to leave them alone, they'll go themselves in 3 weeks, these people have clearly never had chilblains!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have a swollen red toe with no itching but I suffer from bad circulation and my fingers go white even with air con! Do you think this is cause ?but I also where heels all day could this be partly to blame?

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Swollen itchy toes and/or fingers

I have this so severely when it happens that it will wake me up at nite..sometimes it starts when I take my shoes off at the end of my workday....if not it will be at bedtime or middle of nite..it sometimes is just my fingers and not the toes...other times toes and not fingers...other times it will be both at the same time..the itching is the most severe kind of itch/burn I have ever had in my 50 some years..it may happen for days in a row or not for longer periods between..the fingers/toes will swell after clawing the tissue of areas between toes and fingers for a short amount of time..and I can literally almost see my digits swell before my very eyes!..shortly after that sensation the digits will start throbbing and the knuckles/joints areas will turn white and the only thing that helps is to take benadryl everynite. I have psoriasis that has been flaring approximately 12-15 ears now and the itching had never happened b4 in my 53 years until after I developed my rapidly worsening psoriasis condition..could they be related????? Somebody please help?!?!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i came on the site because my feet and toes were itching so badly and my toes were really red and inflamed, i asked my parents, what to do? and they said go see a doctor.
    i asked my parents, what might have caused this? and they said it could be shoes, socks, washing detergent. then they asked me, did you get a shower yesterday morning before 11.00am and i said yes, my mum replied with "i cleaned the shower floor with bathroom cleaner and it has bleach in it. sooo yes my feet have been burnt and they don't feel good.
    what can i do??

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have celluisite Of the foot that is what dr told me only on one foot very itchy and red and warm to touch, dr told me to get an antiboatic and some Patassium pills so we will see also have high blood pressure will keep you posted

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 64 and female. Something similar has just happened to me. It started 4 days ago. At first I thought it was an insect bite. It is only on one toe but it is so itchy, it makes it hard to go to sleep at night. My toe is itchy all the time but your description of the location of the itch is similar to mine. I walk barefoot indoor at this time of the year and wear open fit flops outside, weather permitting of course.
    I would also really like to find out what it may be.

18. Lindi

Lindi Guest

I stumbled across this forum looking for a solution for my husband's problem. About 6 months ago we were with friends at a lake. He helped one of them retrieve his jet ski and went into it. The lake is next to a rural area and only afterwards we were told that it was (long time ago) the sewerage plant for that area and we can be grateful we didn't find a dead body in there. From that time onward, his pinky toe itched. He would scratch it until the skin went raw. So i'm not sure if the raw skin and red and swollen toe is like that by itself or if he causes it when scratching. He has been rubbing salt on it when he bathes, it helps with the itching but only for a day. I've been putting anti septic on it, nothing works. I've considered gout but it's not on the joint, it's under and in between his little toe. Any suggestions?

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm 16, and a couple of days ago I noticed the little toe on my right foot began to itch. I ignored it, and the next day the little toe on my left, and two others, one on each foot, had joined in. They look swollen and red, with small black dots in the middle. It's seriously hindering my ability to stand, walk, run and kick a football, which just happen to be my favourite activities. I consulted my mother, who told me they were blisters, but I'm not so sure.
    As for weather-affected conditions, I live in New Zealand, where it's usually nice and sunny, but it's been snowing for the past few days. Perhaps the temperature change triggered it?

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm 22 and I had this problem for ages. at irregular times of the year (not just winter) I start getting small lumps on my toes (varying sizes). usually all of them. they hurt when I touch them. once or twice a day they start itching for about 1-2 hours. I can even count how many there are on each foot (8 on left foot. 12 on right foot). it often lasts for about a week and leaves behind a bit of thick skin where the lump used to be. I have no idea what causes this. maybe its the socks or the shoes or what is used to wash my socks or something completely different