1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

sudden pain with no reason

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi~
    Yesterday the medial part of the ball of my foot started to hurt when I walked on it. I kept on thinking it felt like a bone was out of place and was hoping it would pop back into place (that's never happened to me, that was just my initial thought.) It was really sore when I pressed on it.

Last night I woke with it constantly hurting, even worse than before. The pain seems to originate not on the pad (bottom) part of the inner ball of my foot, but internally above or within the bone (I think it is where the metatarsal of the the big toe meets the sesamoid bone). It is very, very tender to the touch and warm. I can hardly walk on it -- I severly limp while I put all my weight on the outside of my foot to walk around the house. There's no way I could walk through a store or anything, it hurts that bad.

There was no obvious reason for this quick onset of signs/symptoms. It doesn't throb, but does have some stabbing pains sometimes, and hurts especially bad after I've sat down when I've hobbled to the kitchen or bathroom. It hurts more when I flex my foot (not point my toes like a dancer, but stretch my toes up towards the ceiling). If I stand still, I can put weight on it, but it hurts. It hurts more when I am moving, however.

I have no idea what this is. Last night with the sudden onset of chronic pain and heat, I was thinking blood clot. I do not excercise regularly -- so no stress fractures or bone chips. And like I mentioned, I don't recall any traumatic event to cause it. It hurts so bad even being stationary that I am taking pain killers and will probably have to get crutches if I want to go to work on Monday (desk job).

Any ideas would help! Do feet get blood clots?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It may be that you are describing sesamoiditis, but a sudden onset of pain for no discernibly apparent reason, accompanied by heat and possibly redness and inflammation might suggest acute gout or even infection. As you can probably understand, the diversity of possibilities does not easily lend itself to a relevant conclusion without a detailed history and examination which can only be provided by a trained professional. Certainly the prospect of an infection might present a mandate for immediate evaluation. Additionally, as is usually the case, recommendations for help can only reasonably be provided on the basis of an accurate diagnosis which would logically be forthcoming from such a professional. Certainly even the prospect of requiring crutches should dictate such a decision on your part to seek an examination. To intervene prior to that with recommendations based on conjecture and which may be inappropriate might be unwise. Severe restrictions of weight-bearing, elevation of the part and, unless there is some circulatory embarrassment or other tissue debilitating disease, conservative and careful applications of cold with strict attention to avoiding cold injury would generally be generically appropriate until real help can be obtained.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh my gosh, same thing happened to me! I woke up this morning with severe pain in the same location! Hurts worse when I sit for awhile then get up again! Can't walk hardly at all and limping and crawling upstairs at home! Red, some swelling and hot! Was fine yesterday and had no injuries! Heat makes it worse! Very tender and hurts to touch it or to move big toe at all! Took advil but still hurting and feels swollen! Did yours quit hurting? What did you find out if you went to the doctor!

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Please take note. Responders on this site and sites such as this attempt to respond to issues which questioners bring to the forum and who then wait a generally short time for an answer if one is to be given, then going away, unless they have another problem. Although certainly doctors such as me frequently peruse the forum for questions, this is not, or at least should not be a site where lay individuals with perhaps some sort of inordinate interest in general foot problems come on a day to day basis, and accordingly, it is unreasonable to consider that someone who wrote a question more than 3 months ago would be hanging around for questions directed specifically at him/her regarding their specific condition. In fact, I would wonder about any person who would actually be still available here to see and respond to YOUR question. So, if you are actually expecting the questioner who asked this question to respond to your specific questions about his/her problem's resolution, I would think that is not a reasonable expectation.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the exact same thing. Turns out my doc diagnosed gout. Gout?! I don't eat very much red meat, but apparently other stuff can bring it on.

So, if you found this on a google search, go see your doctor quick as you may have gout. Don't go to work and walk around on it as I did, cuz the pain gets worse! There's medicine that makes the gout go away (uric acid crystals). I was prescribed a medicine called colcrys. Its starting to feel better now in day 2. My doc said it should be better by tomorrow night if I keep taking the colcrys.

Good luck!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been having throbbing painful feet for months especially after work, the next day or so, painful can't bear any weight, last week or so the bones in entire both feet and toes feel like they got run over by a car, swelling at times, left ankle swelling also, i've been using ice and elavating, pain meds, no relief, honestly I feel like someone took a bat to both feet.
    worst pain I've ever had in my feet, feels like the bones are shattered, Don't know what to do? I do have a herniated disc in L4, could this be the cause?, I cannot work like this, I am in the medical field busy Dept. HELP NO RELIEF, i will make an appt. at kaiser once again for yet another problem along with the rest that don't ever seem to get solved.

7. kap

kap New Member

registered as kap

8. PatDS

PatDS Guest