1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

bone spur in a 10 year old

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My son complained a couple of times about a month and a half ago of foot pain. Since there was no injury or outward sign of injury we figured it was growing pains. He never complained again- was outside chasing his brothers no problem. Then a couple of days ago we noticed the top of his foot was moderately swollen. close to his toes. I iced it and gave him ibuprofen. He sat with his foot elevated and iced it through the evening. Looks better still a bit swollen but you can see a lump that is hard to the touch- like a bone. It doesn't hurt when he walks on it only when he touches it or wears closed toe shoes.
    My mom brought up the "what if it is bone cancer".. should I be worried? He has no other symptoms- healthy boy.
    Thanks, Debra

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE
    READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

Such a hard or bony bump as you describe, and certainly a bone spur as you seem to suspect, especially without a history of trauma, is, in my experience, quite unusual in a 10 year old, and I certainly think that he should be seen by an appropriate doctor to determine what it is and what can be done about it. But it would seem to me that such a recommendation, especially for a growing child is a 24 karat, no-brainer. Would you really judge it to be otherwise?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks. We got another piece to the puzzle that led us to make an appt for xrays tomorrow morning. Our older son informed me that my 10 year old has for a couple of months been jumping off the top bunk to get out of bed each morning rather than using the ladder. After talking with my sister who works for an orthopedic surgeon informed me that it is probably a stress fracture that has not healed but gotten worse. So off to the dr we will go.