1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ingrown toenail surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Skivt2, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Skivt2

Skivt2 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Had surgery Friday morning due to infection on left foot on the right side of big toe.

I have had a number of near miss infections due to ingrowth on left side of the toe as well over the past few years.

The right side ingrew because the nail is curved. The left side is way too big. Basically my nail is way to big width wise for the space it has to grow in.

The podiatrist recommended cutting the nail top to bottom on both side of the nail while the toe was numbed up to prevent either side from ingrowing for 6 months.

Podiatrist did not kill nail matrix in the corner on either side due to infection on right side. She had me make an appointment for 6 months to do the permanent fix which I am dreading.

It's now Monday night and the left side almost feels like the nail is starting to re-grow ingrown.

Is it possible to know that after three days?

I'm soaking in salt 2X daily and putting antibiotic cream on then bandaiding as directed.

I'm scared because I had the right foot's big toe done 7 years ago but only the left side of the toe, We did kill the nail matrix that time. That was excrutiatingly painful as I believe I'm very sensitive to phenral(sp?) use to kill nail matrix. Liberal doses of codeine could not even begin to touch the pain.

At the two week follow up that time the podiatrist commented that I was healing very quickly and that she needed to do the phenral again. I screamed for hours after the second application due to pain. I am not exaggerating.

The thought of going back in a week for more novicaine shots followed by nail matrix destruction next week is terrifying. The Doc indicated that she could not perform the nail matrix destruction for at least three months after Friday's surgery heals.

Should I be worried? Could it already be ingrowing after three days? What would be the Doc's next steps if it is?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Unless there are some special and unique factors which you have failed to reveal which or are peculiar to you or this problem, the condition you have described, as I understand your comments, was apparently an infected ingrown nail . . a rather common and generally routine matter about which, in several decades of practice, I have never had a patient under my care who has expressed the sort of distress which you seem to have here. I have no way of determining whether this is due to sub-standard care or your dramatic and unusual intolerance for otherwise standard care.

I cannot account for many of the statements which you have attributed to your podiatrist, but I will relate MY routine procedure for this condition. Every doctor has his/her own procedure preference and regimen, so just because your doctor's procedure might have differed from mine does not mean that it was not appropriate.

I drain the infection on the initial visit, generally under local anesthesia, by sectioning the ingrowing side and avulsing it to the eponychium. I then place the patient on soaks, for a few days to a week, rarely employing oral or topical antibiotics unless the patient has complicating factors such as peripheral vascular disease and/or diabetes, and then I bring him/her back for an evaluation of the infection. If, as usual, the infection is resolved, I generally advised a permanent ingrown nail procedure to be performed on the spot . . as, in my experience, if not done then, the next time I see the patient will be for another ingrowing nail infection. I general employ a phenol destruction of the matrix on the side of the avulsed offending nail spicule. I then place the patient on soaks and dressing changes. Phenol is not kind to tissue, and almost everyone experiences a period of some inflammation, drainage and some discomfort, but rarely to the point where strong pain meds are required. Sometimes the drainage resultant from the phenolization is thick and closes off the portal of drainage. This CAN cause a fair amount of pain, and the blockage must be mechanically opened with a simple probing, not generally requiring anesthesia. Final healing often takes a few weeks. In my hands, this surgery is in the range of 75% successful and permanent, so is not uncommon that it requires a second or further procedure.

I cannot answer your specific questions about whether or not the nail can be ingrowing already as I might not be able to rely on your description to relate the precise facts.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for responding but Whoa!!!!....I sense a bit of a tone.
    Quote, "your dramatic and unusual intolerance for otherwise standard care."

I'm having a hard time with your inference that I am dramatizing the experience I had with my previous nail surgery. I found the nail matrix destruction with phenol to be extreamely painful. I'm not the only one. My grandmother told me that, for her, the recovery from this procedure was more painful than having any of her 5 children or either of her two knee replacement surgeries. I have heard this from others as well. It's only about 24-36 hours of that high level of pain however it is a reality that folks experience these levels of pain regardless of whether you are willing to acknowledge it.

Just for comparison, I had an orthopedist take the joint of my toe apart, remove bone chips and sew me back up. I got through that recovery at 13 years old with only Tylenol with codine. Tylenol with codine at maximum safe dosage was unable to relieve the nail matrix destruction pain I experienced as a 35 year old.

Have you experienced the procedure first hand as a patient???????

Moving on.....
    The foot that had the permanent fix 7 years ago is fine now. The permanent fix was sucessful.

I am healing well from this new temporary surgery on the second foot and have had very little pain throughout the experience other than the aformentioned nagging feeling that the nail might already be starting to ingrow.

My podiatrist followed the procedure you described below:
    "I drain the infection on the initial visit, generally under local anesthesia, by sectioning the ingrowing side and avulsing it to the eponychium."

I am aware that I will need to have the permenent fix done as painful as it was on the other foot. I will insist on receiving two days worth of something stronger than codiene or I will find another podiatrist to perform the procedure who is willing to proscribe the appropriate level of pain relief.

My Podiatrist indicated that I was safe from an ingrown toenail for 6 months. She indicated that she has to wait a minimum of 3 months to do the permanent fix from the date of the temporary procedure. I have an appointment set up for May for the nail matrix destruction procedure.

I'm still wondering:

1) Could it be starting to grow back ingrown already (1 week from the temporary surgery)?
    I am not asking you if it is ingrowing. I am asking you if it's possible that it could be. I understand you cannot answer specifically for my toe.

2) Is it possible/likely that I'll have issues within the next 6 months due the fact that I did not have a permanent correction? Again, I'm only looking for your general theoretical opinion as to whether it's likely that an ingrowth will occur within the next 6 months given no permanent fix was performed. I have commitments that would be difficult to complete if an ingrowth occurs within the next 6 months thus my concern.

You say.......
    If, as usual, the infection is resolved, I generally advised a permanent ingrown nail procedure to be performed on the spot . . as, in my experience, if not done then, the next time I see the patient will be for another ingrowing nail infection.

3) How long in your experience does the patient usually end up going before the return with a second infection if the permanent correction is not completed at the follow up appointment?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I suggest that you take your questions to someone whom you are willing to pay a fee for an answer rather than complaining of "tone" because a gratis responser alluded to the fact that your problem MIGHT, among other alternatives, include your intolerance for the procedure. I don't know, if perhaps you've worn out your welcome with your paid consultant yet. . but I DO know that you've warn out your welcome with ME!

5. DocD

DocD New Member

I have been performing nail avulsions with chemical destruction of the matrix with phenol for approximately 23 years, and have never had a patient need narcotics or call with a complaint of severe pain following this procedure.

On the contrary, phenol often has almost an "anesthetic" effect, since it in essence is causing a chemical burn and often is burning superficial nerves in the nail bed and area of the nail matrix. Although there is an inflammatory response, in my experience there is minimal post operative pain.

I have found that post operative discomfort is most often caused by two factors.

1) Dressings that are applied too tightly, causing pain and throbbing during the first 24 hours, which is usually relieved upon dressing removal.

2) The "over-use" of phenol causing too much destruction and a chemical burn of the surrounding tissue.

This is NOT to say that you are imagining your pain or did NOT have the pain you described. However, it may have something to do with the technique your particular doctor utilizes. Your doctor MAY expose the tissue to the phenol for a longer time than I do, your doctor may use a greater amount of phenol than I do, etc. Although techniques are always "similar", there are often small differences that can ultimately make a very large difference in patient's post operative experiences.

I also utilize post operative soaks in luke warm (never hot) water and Epsom salt and often also have the patient apply Silvadene cream (if there are no allergies) since I have created a chemical burn. I NEVER have the patient use "Band-Aids", but instead simply have the patient wrap a piece of gauze around the toe to absorb drainage and prevent maceration and prevent irritation from the adhesive on the "Band-Aid". Rarely are oral antibiotics needed.

And if the area was infected and a temporary procedure was performed first, I see no reason to have to wait 3-6 months. The permanent/phenol procedure can be done within a few weeks, as long as the initial infection has healed.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks Doc D for a responsible answer.

I'm glad to know that my 1st experience may not be typical. I've never taken anything stronger than codine in my life but I will make sure i have something around just in case for that 1st 24-26 hours just to be on the safe side.

My current Doc is new to me. My old doc is not in my medical plan so I had to switch. I can hope that maybe this time it will be different. It's tough when you have folks saying, "this does not hurt" and then both you and your grandmother have similar painful experiences. I do have very strong nails. Maybe that makes it harder to kill the root making it extra painful for me.

As long as I'm OK for the next 6 months with the temporary fix I will be able to get through ski season without missing a ski weekend :) That is my biggest concern and the real driving reason behind my previous questions. I was mentally prepared to have the permanent fix last week. It would have meant I'd miss the first few weeks of the ski season. I've been worried about a relapse happening before early May because I've got lots of cash invested in ski lift tickets and winter lodging at this point. I've got ski races that i am committed to race in Feb and March. I've got a 10 day ski trip booked in mid-march already.

I don't think I can ski for 4-6 weeks after the phenol procedure due to the race fit on my ski boots (Euro size 24.5 on an american size 8 1/2 - 9 woman's foot) and due to my previous experience with that procedure. Based on nail polish in the summer I think my nails fully re-grow in 3-4 months at most. If I am not likely to make it safely until May than I need to go back now and try to get things fixed permantently before the snow really starts flying. Missing 8-12 weekend ski days in January, February or March is worse than suffering through any amount of pain. Hopefully I'm OK until May with the temporary fix. Thanks again. You sound like a great Doc.

Foot Doc - You are an angry person. If you are going to be unpleasant perhaps you should just say nothing at all. 1st you treated me condesendingly and then you insult me. Was that really necessary? I just asked a few simple questions. If you think it's insulting to your profession for people to ask for free opinions on the net, why do you bother responding to these posts? Do you think you are a superior being compared to the rest of us? You have no idea who I am. If you project negativity out into the world you will receive it back. Karma is real. Stay on the sunny side.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had two ingrown nails fixed by surgery too and it was only a little uncomfortable and I didn't have any of the sort of problems that you say you had. Also I just can't see any real difference between the answers from the Foot Doc and Doc D that should have made you be nasty to one and think the other one was responsible. Both said about the same thing and that they had never had a patient that complained of about the surgery like you did. From my own experience and the what was told to me by other people before I had my surgery I also think that maybe it was just how you tolerated the surgery instead of the sugery being done bad. I think that the doctors who answer here are not paid for their time and from my reading through posts it looks like to me that they do a pretty good job from what they have to work with. I don't think that you should have answered the first doctors comment by being nasty with him or you should have paid somebody who you could have said whatever you wanted too. If I was giving up my time for free and got a comment back like yours I would have dropped you too.

8. DocD

DocD New Member

I'm not really sure I said anything drastically different than "FootDoc", but thanks for the compliments. You must realize that when we answer questions on this site, it often gets frustrating when patients turn their anger toward the doctors when the answers they expect or want aren't always received.

In regards to your response that your nail may have been extremely thick or hard and that may have been the cause of your post operative discomfort, once again I can't find any reason why that should have caused the severe pain you described. Over the many years I've performed this procedure, I've performed it on every type of patient and nail imaginable.

Once again I believe it must have something to do with the actual performance of the procedure, possibly the exposure time of the phenol, inadeuate flushing/dilution of the phenol after application, etc. I do believe you had the pain you described, but I also can state that it is not the "usual" circumstance.

You may want to discuss this with your primary care doctor to see if it's possible for a referral to another provider and discuss the circumstances with him/her.

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It's not that I don't appreciate your support and acknowledgment that the response I got back from the original questioner was rather nasty and uncalled for, but I really discourage this forum being turned into a referendum on the perceived style with which answers are offered rather than the quality of the information given, as it diminishes the usefulness of the venue and is a waste of time which serves no useful purpose other than to engender controversy. It has been my observation that there are some who either feign indignation when they don't get precisely what they desire, or are truly unable to except even the lightest supposition that they have even a minimal degree of responsibility for their complaint. In this case, the questioner seemed to take undue offense to my not being certain if her complaint was the result of inadequate treatment or if it was the result of an intolerance for the procedure peculiar to her, and, indeed, both Doc D and I have several times expressed the fact that in our cumulative more than half-century of experience, we have never encounter a patient complaining so profusely of the procedure in question. In my view, and apparently yours, such a statement of fact should hardly have resulted in offense and certainly not in the nasty comments which followed from the questioner. But this situation was particularly curious, as after she had dissed me, she then went immediately on to say . . and asked me another page of questions, as if she had some entitlement to get both an answer and one in the words she desired. Now would you not think that someone who was so distressed by my first response and gave me grief for it would have the good sense not to ask, mush less want more from me? The whole episode rather reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode where Elaine and her former boss partnered in a bakery that made and sold muffin tops. The problem was that the entire muffin had to be made before the top was cut off, and they had no use for the muffin stumps. So Elaine had the idea that they should give the stumps free to a homeless shelter so that the poor and unfortunate could have some good foot. But the folks at the homeless shelter refused and threw back at them, although they were perfectly good, because they felt insulted that they had not gotten the whole muffin. So, you see . . even in TV sitcoms, no good deed goes unpunished, and I guess some folks simply have the need to look a gift horse in the mouth. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that those, such as this questioner, who are so vociferously indignant in their anonymity with me will keep their mouth closely shut when they are served poorly by the doctors whom they actually pay and who have real obligations to them.I ask no remuneration, and God knows, no one has offered any. I am not here to be your buddy, your personal doctor, your social worker or your psychiatrist. I come here to educate and share my expertise with others without charge or obligation. If all you are looking for is the often gratuitous treatment which is part and parcel of a paid doctor-patient relationship, then you need to seek that sort of arrangement. If what you are looking for accurate information told as and like it is, then you are in the right place.Finally, for those of you are still intent on continuing this battle with me, you will be disappointed, as this is my concluding comment in this thread.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've just had this surgery to remove the full nail perm.
    First the toe was numbed with 4 jags, these were pretty painful and put the rubber band around my toe.
    Then he started to cut ect ect, when the full nail was removed he applied the phenol and washed with alcohol after the phenol was applied. He told me that i would feel some discomfort and to just take some pain killers when it gets sore.
    So i was being driven home, with the anaesthetic still active, i obviously didn't feel any pain, it actually felt warm and quite nice ;D
    Then i got home, as the anaesthetic started to wear off i felt a stingy, sharp, small pain at the tip of my toe, which gradually got worse an all around the toe almost. It felt like the pain of the injection.
    For about an hour this pain was VERY sore, causing me to grap my toe and rock back and forward like a mad person at points ;P
    I've took some pain killers, the pain is wearing off but the pain killers took forever to take action.
    I have to keep this bandage on for a week at which point i will go back and see the doctor.
    I'm 13 and have had this procedure before on my other big toe but only one ONE side, i didn't feel any pain after the procedure strangely, but this has all changed now ;D.
    Prior to the procedure both sides of the toe were ingrown and terribly infected, not my words, the doctors.
    Now, To the "Foot Doc"
    Your comments are very rude, the pain of this procedure varies as i have experienced, on my first procedure i felt no pain, after this one it was agony. As a Doctor you should be aware of the wide range of pain felt after this procedure and definitely shouldn't say that a patient was "over reacting" or anything similar, I got a leaflet and it said if the pain continues, is very sore and cant be handled with pain killers you should return to the clinic, so obviously the amount of pain described by the first poster is very possible.
    I live in the UK and I can assure you that if you told a patient that they were over reacting you wouldn't be looked on so kindly. Also if you lost your patience with a patient after they deny your comments then you are not fit to be a doctor.
    Being a doctor requires a whole load of patience and a very good temper, if you flip out at patients you should learn to be more considerate.
    I have no doubt that you are a good doctor but hopefully after reading all these comments you will be more considerate to patients experiences, extreme or otherwise.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It has been four days since the surgery and my childs toe is still swollen and red from the procedure. I understand that this is normal for the healing. My question is how long should he stay off the tennis court and will not playing help it heal quicker?

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would think that the best answer by far could and should be offered by the doctor who is responsible for your child's care. Have you not asked or have you asked and not been satisfied with the answer?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

We asked and the doctor said that he could not hurt his toe by playing on it, but it may aggravate it or make it sore. He said as long as he feels like playing it would be fine. I was just not sure if it would prolong the healing process. In other words is he stays off of it for a week, would it heal faster than if he was playing on it? His mother says stay off of it until it heals and I am a male that says if he wants to play let him play. It is the whole Venus vs. Mars thing going on here.
    Thanks for your input.

14. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

How honestly refreshing it is to hear that there ARE sensible folks out there who, when offered a response which perhaps does not meet his/her expectations as to its specificity, can nonetheless appreciate the fact that forum responders are neither a replacement for ones own doctor nor in a position to responsibly make specific recommendations regarding the care of an unknown individual. Thanks for YOUR feedback.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  15. Timothy

Timothy Guest

I'm sorry if you may think you have already answered this but I do have a question. I am going in to see a podiatrist tomorrow to have him look at my big toes (I have had six ingrown toenails on them, on both sides of each toe, this summer alone.) he told my mother that he would even have time to perform the permanent procedure tomorrow. However I just realized that I am not sure he knows that the fifth and sixth ingrown toenails of this summer are still going, they are in their end stages but as a general rule will he not perform the permanent procedure if they are not totally healed at the time?

Thank you.

16. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I don't know what "end stages" or "totally healed" means, but if you mean that an infection is on-going, it is my policy and protocol not to perform permanent corrective ingrown nail surgeries in the presence of infection. But I certainly cannot speak to your own doctors feelings on the matter.

17. Solomon012

Solomon012 Guest

good afternoon,
    I currently am going through 1 whole year of surgical repair that a Podiatrist did and the pain has been unbearable. His initial dx was bone spur under big toe nail, which has not healed and i am working with another podiatrist to fix as he did not shave the bone he broke it. I don't feel you are exagerating at all and i really feel your pain.

Monica

18. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Dollars to donuts there is something much more serious than an inadvertent fracture of a toe going on here. I cannot discount your pain, as pain is a very subjective and individualized complaint. But what you describe does not generally comport with either the degree of discomfort or the length of problems which you allege. Hopefully, you have had an in-depth discussion of your problem and its prognosis with your current doctor.

19. Wyopatient

Wyopatient Guest

I wonder if the podiatrist ever treated the ingrown toe nail problem "non surgically".
    I have seen on the web products like Nail-Ese and topical creams like Trolarix. I
    don't know how reliable these products are. But it seems that the doctors first
    always goes for the scapel or knive or rather than grinding them down.

20. A mom

A mom Guest

to: Wyopatient, I don't know about doctors using the products, but I did try "everything" for my son's bilateral ingrown nails. He's 12. Soaks, aloe gel, more soaks (trying Domeboro packets, epsom salts, plain water) then, Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Reliever, more soaks, and finally a trip to the doc for antibiotics (on Labor Day weekend), after which the left side completely cleared but the right remained swollen and painful. Another trip then to a podiatrist (we had to wait 2 weeks for appt.) who trimmed out the left side without local anesthetic (it was fine) and attempted the right side. 2 more weeks of soaks and misery. He had not been able to wear a shoe and had to stay out of gym at school all this time. This past Monday (11/2) he finally had the permanent procedure on the right. He stayed home from school yesterday and today is still in agony.

So, I can only answer you based on this experience of products used, and they were not helpful and did not do the job for him. *On the other hand, I have ingrowns and when they flair up, I use soaks and pure aloe gel with band-aids, and wear sandals. It takes a couple days and they clear up. (I did try the Scholl's product and it actually made it feel worse.) I have to take Plavix for a condition, so surgery is out of the question at present.

For others who are in agony after the procedure, we hear ya! He's generally a very stoic child and has a high pain tolerance. So, this postop pain and his howling in pain was more than surprising. I'm hoping that as the margin heals over the next couple days, he won't be in such misery. Extra strength acetaminophen alternating with ibuprofen give slight relief, but it's still difficult for him to bear weight on that side (48 hours+ after procedure.) He's in a postop shoe now but still hop/limping. So, our experience has been that it's not an easy or painless recovery. My mom at age 80, otoh, had an entire nail removed and recovered very quickly with minimal pain.