1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Long term consequences of Jones fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 10, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a Jones fracture and I am wondering what would happen if I just allowed nature to take its course. The prognosis of healing with conventional treatment, e.g cast, crutches, non weight bearing, is iffy, and I am not keen on the idea of surgery. I haven't been able to find anything that says what the long term consequences are of leaving it alone. In particular, I would like to know, in general terms, what happens in a situation of chronic non union. Is this something that could potentially be ignored or would it create health or gait problems?

2. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

Hopefully FootDoc can chime in here to tell you more as I certainly can't tell you the long term consequences, but to me it would be painful to have a chronic broken foot?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

10 Years ago I had a Jones Fx. Had surgery and 5 weeks later went back to work and have not had problems with it at all except for cold winter days skiing. (Just aches) Just broke my other foot yesterday. Again Jones fracture of the other foot. I knew before the x-ray and going for CT tomorrow. I will suggest surgery again as it takes a long time to heal with a cast if it heals and will likely fracture again due to an active life style. It also depends on the degree of fracture and where it’s located. Good luck.