1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lateral foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Sublime Runner, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sublime Runner

Sublime Runner New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've had pain on the outside of my left foot for about a month now. I don't recall any specific event, but I do run long distances. I ran a 15K on Monday and felt pain, but not sharp or extreme enough to stop. Later that evening and the next day is when I really felt it. It's basically the Knot on my left foot that is sore. It's painful if I press the side of that knot or bone protrusion and a little bit behind it. I guess its the 5th metatarsal. It's also painful if I wear a shoe that is too tight or constricting. It's like that bone is sore and tender, but I see no visible bruising or swelling. If I stay off it for a week, it dissipates greatly, but flares up again after a run. Is this a common running injury and/or should I see a podiatrist? Or should I just give it more rest? I'd like to begin training for a marathon in December, but I don't want to make this any worse.

2. more then likely you are getting insertional peroneal brevis tendonopathy. It is muscle which runs down the lateral(outside) area of you leg and responsible for tuning your foot out. This is the motion of the foot associated with accomidating for uneven ground. when you run there is a good chance your feet are slightly unstable and this muscle works harder. Working harder puts more pressure on the insertion(where it attaches to the bone). More pressure makes it sore.
    It gets better when you rest because it is longer working so harder. Then goes back to hurting because a week is not long enough to recover and the problem of foot instability remains once you start running again.

I suggest looking at your runners. If they are over 12 months they 'may' be the problem, but you are better off seeing someone about it and getting them to observe you walking/ running and do muscle testing.

All the best.

3. Sublime Runner

That's pretty astute for several reasons. One, my runners are just shy of a year old. Two, they're competitive runners, not trainers - meaning they are very light and have very little support, especially lateral support. They are basically mesh with a tiny bit of support. Three, I just overcame a 6 month bout of plantar fasciitis on that foot. And while I no longer have any arch pain (thanks to Superfeet), I think I may have subconsciously shifted a little more of my weight to the outside of that foot during that time. It all adds up to perhaps too many miles on too old of a shoe, with too little support. It sounds like some rest is in order and perhaps a visit to Dr. Beede in Ft. Worth.

After many years of running, I've had my share of injuries and I'm definitely a believer in using the right equipment. I also believe that little things can become big things when the miles start going up. My IT band issues completely went away after going to a neutral shoe. As my feet are a bit flat, the Superfeet inserts have helped remove any arch pain. I love my Brooks runners, but it looks like my best bet might be to go back to a trainer to get the full support my feet need during the months leading up to a race. I can use my lighter shoes for race day.

Thank you for sharing your expertise, I really do appreciate your reply.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No Problems.
    Without seeing your feet its hard to understand exactly how they function. However brookes trance are quite a good supportive runner. Definitely on the more supportive side of things.

However it would probably be worth going to see someone about getting custom made orthoses. That way they can prescribe a device that will give you support in the areas that your foot needs it. Also you may find increase your running efficiency and you are able to run further with less effort.

All the best

5. Sublime Runner

Well, I haven't run in 2 weeks now and for the last week I've been on ibuprofen. I was feeling pain early in the mornings, but stretching has helped alleviate that. Most of the pain is now gone and I only start to really feel it if standing on a hard surface for several hours. With this type of injury... how do I start running again. I'm really itching to get back out there. I'm guessing just start slow and ease into it? Of course, I don't want to re-injure it. To still feel some pain 2 weeks after my 15k, I'm thinking it must have really been inflamed.