1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

uncontrolled itching in arch of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by DMartin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DMartin

DMartin New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have lived with itching on the arch of my right foot for almost ten years. My general doctor told me he thought it may be stress and prescribed topical ointments and steriods. I have seen three dermatologists and have had two biopsies of the tissue of the arch--very painful! There is No fungus, but I have used a knife and a callous contraption to shave off the hardened area that continues to itch uncontrollably. I have a wide variety of tools, and can only explain to the doctor that the pain from sore arch that has been cut or scraped is better than constant itching! I have been to a podiatrist twice, he prescribed a numbing ointment and that has worked to relieve the itching some, but like others, it is a bandaid and is not getting to the cause of the uncontrollable itching. The podiatrist was certain that if I changed my socks at noon, and changed my shoes every day (I was not to wear the same shoes two days in a row) this symdrome would subside, but it has not. I am a working professional and I wear excellent leather heels or shoes, we cannot wear sandles, so that is not an issue.I even wake up in the middle of the night scratching my right arch with my left toenails. I still have two small areas--absolute rounds from the biopsies and that was 5 years ago. I would appreciate any help from others suffering with this--has anyone ever found a cure? I have RLS and take Requip nightly, but it has no affect on the itching.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the same exact problem and have had it since 2007, it just popped up outta no where. i have not yet found a solution at all and it drives me crazy. i have it on both of my feet and i to find myself waking up in the middle of the night scratching at my arches. my arches are literally raw because i scratch them everyday. i find things to scratch them because it itches so bad, things like keys, my nails, my toe nails, anything with a point on it and that sometimes doesnt stop the itch. if you find anything that helps you, please let me know. i know this doesnt help but i am informing you, you are not alone lol. i guess good luck to the both of us.

3. DMartin

DMartin New Member

You wouldn't believe the tools that I have used--a kitchen grater, knives--it feels better to have it sore than the itching-keep me posted on anything you find to help. I have even had biopsy on my arch, which was very very painful for many weeks. There has to be a cause for this!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I don't have it as bad as everyone else here but it is annoying. I don't scratch until the skin gets raw, I just stop and ignore it and after a while it goes away. There has got to be a reason though, I wonder what it is. The skin looks normal and it's only on my right foot. Weird! It could be related to stress, I do have wet eczema but there are no lesions, no cracks in the skin, nothing!! Just the itching. Usually at night, sometimes in the daytime. I also get cramps in my arches, feet and right above my ankles if I'm dehydrated. Maybe it's related to that? Try drinking more water, get more sleep. I have insomnia and I notice if I don't drink a lot of water I get the cramps. I wear good shoes so I don't think that is the problem. Must be something metabolic.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had this problem several years ago - would wake up in the middle of the night with an itchy arch that I couldn't relieve by scratching. Finally I got an ice pack out of the freezer - the kind you can wrap around an arm or leg or foot and it stays there - wrapped it around the foot, went back to bed, AND IT WORKED!!!

I'm on this page because the itchy foot has started up again - thought maybe someone would have other ways to relieve it... but I'm sitting here with my ice pack wrapped around my foot, and it's working - hope that's helpful to someone else!
    Sandy in Denver

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I started using cortizone 10. I use it for a few days and it goes away for a few weeks. Then I have to put it on again.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same issue (52 yr old female) and it has came and went over the last 15 years. I too have used my left big toe. I'm beginning to wonder if this is connected to an internal organ as I look at the right foot reflexology chart. Has anyone looked at it or considered it that? From what I can tell, it might cover stomach, pancreas, kidneys. I cannot specifically say it only occurs in times of stress, but it is ONLY my right arch.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well sounds like I am the big winner here Ha-ha.
    I have it on both arches and the right hand below my thumb for 10 years.
    I had it first on both hands .Then it cleared up for about a year . Then came back as I described above . At night I have used vinegar and water , 25% V 75% W . I wet a peace of Gauze and wrap it with cloth tape around my feet . It seems to work well. I want rid of it so I am trying anything . By reading what other have said .I think it might have a lot to do with PH levels . I need to drink more water. Good luck to all .Keep up the research :)

9. Cfbrenton1

Cfbrenton1 New Member

Have you guys had bloodwork done? This can sometimes be a sign of liver disease or circulatory issues.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do any of you have a dog or cat that lives in the house? Perhaps you are slightly allergic. We recently got a dog that lives in the house most of the time and I have developed the itching of the arches (both). I'm afraid it may be from the dog. I walk barefoot in the house sometimes, where the dog has been. He is not allowed on the carpet, but if you're allergic and walk on the same carpet where the dog/cat has been, maybe it's causing the itching. Or it could be that you're allergic to the carpet, especially if it's new. Just a thought.... Like all of you, I'm trying to figure out the problem too.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm not saying that we all have the same cause, but I have had the arch itch so badly that I would itch and scratch and rub my feet on the carpet.I would itch them raw.....finally realized that this problem occurred when I consumed too much acid..specifically certain spaghetti sauce..strangely, only certain brands caused the itch. So could a food sensitivity be causing problems for anyone here. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Go see a Neurologist, someone who specializes in nerves.

13. Lance

Lance Guest

I have had this for many years - probably 10 or more. As with others, this is only my right foot. It feels like it is inside my arch and not a surface irritation.
    I also got Plantar Fasciitis in both feet - it was worse in my right. So I got pain and an itch in the same foot area!
    I got myself a Strassburg Sock and it really made a difference to my PF pain - but it also helps with the itch at night.
    Not sure if that would help another sufferer, but it may be worth looking into. Sadly it does not help during the day...
    Has anyone tried acupuncture?
    What about Chinese medicine?
    Hey - no matter how wacky it sounds I am going to try it if it works...

I wonder how many people have this right arch itch problem in the world? And if there is an official name?

This was my first port of call on my web search... my search continues....

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have also had this for years . Got medicine from medical doctor didn't work then got medicine from dermatologists didn't work now it is so bad it keeps me up at night..and it acts up during day also I will scratch it with whatever is in my hand pens, nail clippers etc. it drives me crazy.....We need to find something to get rid of this itching. I have tried every itch ointment you can buy....

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow never in a million years thought my search for itchy arches would uncover this huge thread of people with the same thing. Mine started a few weeks ago...thought I had a bite or sting, then the redness and itchiness went away and the whole area peeled like sunburn. Now it is started on the other foot. I think it may be CONTACT DERMATITIS. I had bright red rashes on the tops of my feet in the same shape as sandals I wore, so I had an allergy test a few years ago. I found out I am allergic to some chemicals in the linings of SOME shoes...it is hard to tell which will do it.....and I read here how some people are wearing leather and I found it was usually leather shoes from Brazil that were the worst.

The exact allergy for me is due to P-tert-butylphenol formaldehyde resin (PTBP), mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT) and mercapto mix (Rubber) I have been wearing new rubber clogs while riding a bike lately so think that is why my arches itch. Maybe this will help someone....you can take a simple patch test for these chemicals and get creams that help the itching.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Just wondering how many of the posters here are females who are peri/menopausal? My itchy arches have only appeared since I entered this phase of my life and on another forum I found other women who had this weird symptom. My GP originally suggested that it was drying out of the skin but as I've now (3 years on) been diagnosed with anaemia and been given iron supplements and low iron can lead to restless leg syndrome (including itchy feet) I'm wondering if iron levels might be the issue (I have very, very heavy periods)?

17. Dede

Dede New Member

I am amazed at this thread for itchy arches! This is on both arches and below my Right thumb. I like everyone else, scratch it as hard as possible with whatever works. When its really bad, I have drawn a tub of water and soaked my feet in it until it goes away. Sometimes sitting on the side of the tub for 10-15 minutes. This has just recently started for me this year, yes I am going through menopause (though so far that is only hot flashes and night sweats and it's not that bad) and have wondered it any of this is related? The vinegar wrap was a good tip, I will try that for sure. I never thought about allergy testing, I haven't really changed anything in what I eat/shoes that I wear......but that is something to think about.

18. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

Itchy foot has many causes such as infection, dry skin, or allergies etc. Apply white vinegar to your feet or hydrogen peroxide with water to your feet. You can also consider getting examined by podiatrist.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been trying to find any information of this I can. I have had this terrible periodic itch on the arch of my right foot on and off for approx. 3 yrs. It accompanies a red circle. I just about rip my skin off scratching so much. Everytime I make and appointment for the Drs office by the time I get in it is gone. It usually last about 3 days.. but drives me crazy. I just would like to know what is causing it so I can hopefully get rid of it.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had the same intense, deep itch in my right foot that occurs mostly in my right foot. But I also have had the same itch in my left foot as well as my right hand (bottom of my palm stretching into the bottom of my right thumb as others have describled). I have had these issues for about 6 yrs or so. It comes and goes and occurs at night for me. I have had an MRI done and there was no issues. My dr also prescribed itch cream which does not help as I believe it's on the inside not on the outside. I do not have dry skin, bumps nor red inflammed skin. It's just an excrutiating deep itch that you need to cause pain in order to get rid of the itch. It's like it's an electric current causing the itch. What usually works for me is soaking in the hottest water you can stand with epsom salts. I have also rubbed my foot on anything sharp, rough or whatever I could. Nothing works and it is so mind boggling. I also check the reflexology charts that point to colon, pancreas, kidney,liver. I have ulcerative chron's so am not sure if it is related. I have had my gall bladder and liver checked as well as ultrasounds on my kidneys and bladder. All came up normal. I have had 3 pregnancies and I had gestational diabetes so I thought that may be the cause. I have kept a journal of "the attack" as I call it. I write down what I ate that day, etc. I thought it might be related to the amt of sugar intake that day. I really haven't seem any similarities in diet and the time of attack. I am looking constantly for answers. I am so tired of having interupted sleep due to this uncontrollable itch. Could it have something to do with diabetic nerve issues, etc? If anyone has any other solutions how to ease the itch during "the attack" please let me know. For now, I will continue to soak in very hot water until it goes away. Oh and I also have put ice packs on my hand as well as my feet. It is almost like I need it to be the coldest or hottest to get rid of the itch or at least take your mind off the itch.

John Lemon likes this.