1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Questions about surgery on accessory navicular bone

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Dillon, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bonespurs

bonespurs New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Unfortunately the answer I have to give is, "not likely." Reason being is that its generally something someone is born with. And since that accessory never fully grows into a "real" bone, it will stay the same. There are some non surgical treatments that you can do, however, ultimately if the pain is recurring, surgery may be the best option... which is something that I really don't like admitting. But your daughters ability to be a kid should be the most important factor. Kids are much more resilient than adults. So talk to your doctor about treatment options.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you so much!!! Does the accessory navicular sometimes stop flaring up as you grow up? Or is it just there and you have to live with it?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can you operate on a type iii (3) accessory navicular?

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well. I am 16 and it has been a year and a half since my surgery. I could literally talk for hours about how awful the past year and a half have been. I had my AN removed and spent the next three months in a wheelchair. After the wheelchair I spent the next 2 months using a knee walker (looks like a scooter you rest your knee on). After the wheelchair I spent about 4 months in a walking boot. After the wheelchair I started undergoing physical therapy. I have gone since then anywhere from 2-3 times a week every week for the past year and a half. I have extreme foot pain and I honestly can't remember the last time my foot didn't hurt. Trust me when I tell you I've tried everything. Physical therapy, acupuncture, TENs unit, hypnosis, steroid injections, pain medications, ultrasounds, physical therapy, and just about everything else you can think of and I am still in constant pain. I am sure my case isn't normal or typical but I went from a competitive volleyball player to barely being able to walk. I am currently in a walking boot and have been in and out of them since my surgery. The removal also worsened my planter fasciitis. My ankle hurts for no apparent reason other than trauma and stress. I don't let the pain stop me from living my life but as a sixteen year old it would be nice to be able to wear the five inch heels (even though at 6'1" I don't think I would anyways). I have also had to have surgeries as a result of the medications. The high doses of anti inflammatory was caused an ulcer and I had to have my gallbladder removed because of the complications with my stomach ulcer. I would say I am in more pain now and I am more limited now than I ever was before my surgery. Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again? Never. I don't let all the negative things that have happened affect my happiness. But being a freshman in a wheelchair at a new school isn't exactly a desirable thing when you're trying to make friends. ;) Hope it gives you a different perspective. I know I wish someone could have told me what would happen a year and a half down the road.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You unfortunately have to live with it. Your daughter might be able to make it a little bit longer without having surgery, but with problems starting at 12, chances are she will eventually have to have surgery. I would recommend waiting as long as possible seeing as recovery can be a long process, but if she is in severe pain that does not subside surgery may be necessary.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had surgery for my type iii accessory navicular one week ago. I just went back to the doctor to get my soft cast changed to a hard cast. I had been having foot pain for a year and had tries all conservative measures at least twice. I finally had surgery. I had a nerve block so I didn't not feel anything right when I woke up. The next day the pain was severe. I am still having pretty severe pain, but it's definitely less that the day after surgery. I am going to be in a hard cast for 5 weeks, and then an air cast until I can walk again. My cast isn't waterproof, but we have a shower bag. Can anyone warn me of any other potential dangers after the one week mark of surgery? Thanks!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi, just had this surgury done too here in Ireland, Numerius injurys and i had to get it removed,
    Had the surgery done 8 weeks ago, I was a day case so left out after approx 1 half hr surgury, Spent 1 week in a soft cast and another 3 weeks in a hard cast,
    Now i am walking 4 weeks but still very sore. Not gone back to work yet.
    Was at doctor today and i was told not to go back to work for another month minumum,

Advice is give it very good rest and expect recovary to be long,

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello,
    I had my accessory navicular removed five days ago. I'm in a cast, and pain right now is barely stronger than what I was experiencing before the surgery. I can't complain.
    My main concern is whether I will be able to run pain-free again. I am a recreational runner but running is an important part of who I am. Doctors tend to be optimistic while giving no guarantees at the same time. Any athletes out there that may be able to share their experiences?
    Thanks!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just had a baby on June 5th of 2013 I had my surgery on July 19th I was in a splint for 10 days then I got a hard cast which I was in for a month now I'm in a walking boot for another month I had my AN removed my tendon was cut on my foot and my Achilles tendon I have never been more depressed... I shouldn't have done it having a new baby but it had to be done. thank God I have a7 year old that can help me but I live in a two story house and I have had my bed in my living room downstairs since this happened I'm not saying Im not glad that I had it done I just wish that it would have been a different time I'm so ready to walk again I don't know when it will happen but hopefully soon before I go into more of a depression I've been using the knee Walker and it has been a godsend crutches are horrible and I can actually pick my baby up and go around my house now I'm trying to do some exercises so that I don't have to have pt but my toes are extremely numb still has anyone had this problem just can't wait till it's all over

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my AN removed, along with the reshaping of my 1st and 2nd metatarsals with pins, on Friday (its now Monday). I've had 5 knee surgeries and a hip surgery...this is by far the most painful recovery I have had. I'm on heavy pain killers, but they only seem to last a few hours, before the excruciating pain and burning sensations come back. Doesn't matter if i elevate the leg, nothing seems to work. I'm also in quite a lot of bandaging and a splint, which no ice pack can penetrate through. This is a miserable experience. I have 3 weeks in this splint, then 6 weeks in a hard cast, and then I will be transitioned to a walking boot for 4 more weeks.
    I can't seem to get a grasp on the pain management, something which i have a lot of experience in doing with all of my other orthopedic surgeries. I also don't want to rely on taking heavy narcotics for weeks on end.

Anyone have any tips that helped with relieving the pain post-surgery? I'm just pure miserable right now. Any tips on getting a strong ice-pack, or anything that works better for relieving the pain? I'm currently on Norco, after Vicodin wasn't much help/relief.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,

I am a thirteen year old girl and I have an AN on both feet. I regularly have 15-20 hours of physical activity each week but I am starting to find it unbearable. My doctors all recommended different treatments like physio therapy, orthodics, no activity, and pain medication but none of them have seemed to work very well. Based on research I am a little nervous about surgery (especially because it is both sides so I would be in a wheel chair not cruches). However, I want to be rid of the pain and I feel like surgery is the only choice....what should I do?

12. Michael

Michael Guest

Hi Vivian,

I'm a 41 year old male married and have a daughter. I injured my left foot playing tennis in Sept. 2013. I rolled my ankle. I started to feel an annoying pain right in the arch of my foot a few days later. I saw some orthopedic doctors and they told me my Accessory Navicular is swollen. I always knew I had flat feet but I had no idea what an AN even was! I tried the boot for 2 months. It didn't help. I bought Expensive customer orthodics. It relieves some pressure but I doesn't cure it.

I'm at the crossroads. I can't run or play tennis and am pretty miserable. However, the idea of the recovery time, missed time from work and pain is really scary. I'm slated to go under the knife in April but I'm not 100% convinced its worth it. I would greatly appreciate your advice. If you or anyone else reading this post is available to discuss by phone it would mean a lot.

Nervous in New York - Michael

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Seeing as it has been five years since this was posted it's probably too late to say this but... My mom had the surgery of the kid and it was fine but when she got into her 40s she started having really bad foot problems. She has had multiple surgeries now and a lot of them could have been prevented if she hadn't had had this surgery. I have one as well and I can say that after seeing what she went through I will never get the surgery.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm 21, female and average height/weight. 5 years ago I was practicing dances for my debutante ball when my foot started hurting a lot. after my deb was finished, I went to the doctors and had some scans, sure enough I had an AN. I went through 6 weeks of a moon boot, crutches and physio, to which it seemed to fix my foot. I then had orthotics fitted, and all was good for about a year before I got the pains again. same thing happened, and I was told to stop working to actually let it heal (worked in a busy cafe whenever I wasn't at school!). I healed, and then the same thing happened again a year later. I put up with it, until I couldn't any more and went to my doctor of which we discussed surgery. I was referred to a surgeon, and discussed surgery. at first my surgeon was hesitant as I am so young, so he decided to do a steroid injection into the bone to see if that would help. unfortunately it didnt, and my surgery was scheduled.

I am currently 8 days post op (they removed my bone however also had to detach my tendon from my AN and put it onto my navicular and hold it in place with a screw) and all I can say is oh my god the pain.. I remember waking up in recovery screaming from the pain, and for me that is unusual as I'm quite good with pain and I've had surgeries before. I'm in plaster for 4 weeks, with no weight baring and crutches. apparently I will be in a moon boot with partial weight baring and crutches still for 4 weeks, then full weight baring with a moon boot for another 4 weeks (totaling 12 weeks recovery). my biggest advice to anyone considering surgery is do it, however, be aware of the fact you will get nerve pain (due to your nerves being cut, regardless of how careful they are) and that is worse because it's a constant burning pain, and there's nothing you can take to stop it. keep your foot constantly elevated, and don't attempt to do anything, as frustrating as it is, you'll only hamper your recovery if you do anything. good luck to those having the surgery!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

A long time ago when I was in my mid twenties, I had severe foot pain and it was diagnosed as an accessory navicular bone in my right foot. I didn't seek treatment such as special shoes, therapy or exercise, I wanted a cure and surgery was the only option. The operation went smoothly, the bone was removed and I went home to start my recovery the same day. The worst period of time was the first 24 hours after surgery. High levels of pain which oral pain killers did not control. After the worst was over, I was back on my feet within a week and returned to work a few days after that. It took a full six weeks until my recovery was complete. Since that surgery I have had no problems with my right foot and continued to be active playing sports throughout my life. A little over a year ago, I decided to lace on my ice skates and head down to the local rink. During that one time on the ice, it just so happened to aggravate my accessory navicular bone in my left foot. I have lived with my new discomfort for over a year, but the pain is becoming worse as time goes by. I experience a sharp pain in the location where the bone is plus a burning sensation running across the soul of my left foot. Now I walk with a constant limp and I'm contemplating another foot surgery. The only problem is now I'm 62 years old. What if surgery doesn't go as smoothly as my first time? What will be the recovery time because of my present age? Can I live with the discomfort for the rest of my life? I need to consult with a doctor or two about my condition. Hopefully I will make the right choice.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 43 years old and just had my second kinder procedure done on my right foot about 6 weeks ago and am doing great. I had first procedure done at 17 because I had chronic foot pain . Little did I know that the accessory nivicular was not removed but shaved down because it was very prominent the procedure worked great for 26 years and all the pain I had endured from 10-17 was gone. But I work on my feet and started having very bad pain in arch and swellings come to find out from ortho I still had my accessory navicular he put me in a boot for 5 weeks and no improvment . So surgury , he removed the accessory which was as big as a halfdollor and was barley attached. I was so concerned about recovery at 43 and it has been tough not being Mobile but the only pain I have after 6 weeks is weakness in my muscles and tendons in foot and calf I have an occasional shooting pain but goes quickly. I was none weigh bearing for 3 weeks then 3 weeks walking boot. I was thinking I would not need physical therapy but it's amazing how week ones foot gets after just 6 weeks of none use I am greatfull I will start therapy next week .I have been reading all the post on here for months about the AN surgury (kinder procudure) . There have been many informitive posts. And I thank all who post here. I am sorry for those who have had such a difficult and painful journey to recovery and I hope those who still struggle find relief.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am about 35 yrs old (trying to forget my age so an exact calculation is unavailable) and have been having pain in both feet for years. My left only rarely bothers me, but my right is terrible! It's funny that ankle injuries seem to bring on the pain of these extra bones. I injured my right ankle on a trampoline and thought that this bone sticking out and hurting me all the time was somehow from that. This happened when I was about 15. The pain during the past few years has gotten so bad I can barely walk on the foot sometimes and it burns often.

I self-diagnosed the extra bones and when my insurance kicked in on the first of June I made an appt with a podiatrist right away. She confirmed the extra bones in both feet with the right one being much larger. She has suggested some at home physical therapy things, my custom arch supports are on their way (I was hesitant to spend $250, but was told I'd need to wear them even if I had surgery so whatever), and I plan to schedule the surgery for the end of August. I am a photographer and have weddings scheduled until then.

After reading all of these I am excited to get it done and not suffer almost constantly, but also really worried about pain and recovery. I have a 14 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter, my husband works out of town all week, and I live in a split level where we spend almost all our time in the downstairs den. It won't be hard to move our TV to the formal living room, but the laundry is also downstairs and my son will be in school and need clean clothes! lol

It's going to be hard, but I HAVE to do it. I'm trying to be more active and I can't even do normal daily activities without pain and limping. I'm sitting here now with pretty intense burning. Sometimes it even pops which seems weird. I sort of turn my foot on it's outside edge and then the inside pops.

Wish me luck.

18. AmyPi3

AmyPi3 Guest

I can't believe you have had such a hard recovery! It seems odd that you would have even been in a wheelchair right after so I wonder about what your surgeon did and/or if there was severe tendon damage.

I had the surgery done on my right foot (left gets done in Dec) on Sept 4th, so just over a month ago. I was in hard cast for 10 days, cast was then split so I could take it on and off when sitting or sleeping (not advised but I could not sleep with it on, that cast was the worst thing from this whole surgery), and at 3 weeks I was put into a walking boot but told to still stay off it for 3 more weeks.

I had already been putting weight on it and "walking" with a cane for two days at that point because I guess I was mistaken that I was only going to be 3 weeks non weight bearing. Dr said no way, stay off it! So I stayed off it for maybe a few more days but I just can't take this any more. I have things to do and a toddler and teenager :p

Anyway, at just over a month I can walk all over the place in my walking boot, no cane. It will maybe hurt a tiny bit, more just discomfort than pain. I have tightness in my plantar fascia and I don't know why but I assume it's from not using it for 3 weeks? I also did sort of hurt it at 3 weeks and felt like a pop in that tendon. My toddler dropped a brick on her toe and I didn't even think, just dropped the cane and ran to her. Luckily it was only 5' and I think that foot only hit the ground twice but something def popped and hurt.

At any rate, I hate that you didn't heal well since I seem to be healing quickly. I also am twice your age. Did it end up better in the long run?

19. AmyPi3

AmyPi3 Guest

I'm now just over a month post op and healing great! I am (against doctor's orders-was told to wait till 6 weeks...I know, I know) walking in my walking boot and have had minimal pain. I have tightness in my plantar fascia but that's about it. The tendon they anchored back down is not able to be fully used yet but I'm also not pushing it as I was told it takes 8 weeks for the bone to heal and I could tear the tendon off the anchor if I am not careful.

20. Cindy M.

Cindy M. Guest

I am reading this thread because my son, 13, is having surgery to remove the AN bone on his right foot. He also has the bone on his left foot but our doctor is doing one at a time. He has been having foot pain for a couple of years but it gradually got worse. I suspected he had AN bones because I too had these extra bones. I was 10 when I had my first surgery. I had terrible pain on the inside of both of my feet. My bones visibly stuck out. I also had my calf muscles loosened and plastic inserts put in my arches. I had the inserts until I was 17. Without the surgery to remove the AN bones, I couldn't have been active. I cheered in high school and now exercise regularly without pain.

My son was very active until he started have foot pain and has had to quit all sports and is basically a couch potato. It's sad because he used to run and play outside all the time. I am hoping that he will be able to return to football and wrestling once his surgeries are finished and he has healed.

I wish I would have taken my son to the foot doctor sooner especially because of my history. He might have been able to have the surgery sooner.