1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Non-union of bones after mid foot fusion

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm gutted as I have been told that, despite earlier reassurances, the bones in my mid foot haven't fused. I had a lapidus 20 months ago and have had problems ever since. Originally they thought the hardware was causing the continued pain but I've had this removed and the pain is the same. I have a few questions that I'm wondering if anyone can help with.

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so what was the outcome?

Will I damage my foot even more if I continue with as much use on it as I can stand?

I'm a non-smoker and I did as I was instructed by my surgeon so why did it fail? I am a healthy person on a good diet of normal weight.

Will a second fusion be likely to fail again?

Thanks, hope somebody can help.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am right there with you. 4 of the fusions have healed. Not the main one. Don't know why. Going in for another MRI. Very disappointed. Still painful. Still hopping around in a boot.

3. Katiepie

Katiepie Guest

4 years post midfoot fusion where 3 bones were fused. Still painful and have lump on top of foot. Sent for Spec scan which showed several hot spots where pain is. 2 screws removed which made no difference, then had Cortisome injection, worked for 2 weeks. CT scan confirmed bones had not fused.
    Now 6 week post mid foot revision surgery. Surgeon found that 1 bone has not fused at all explaining pain. Screws removed, plate and bone grafts done. Hoping to have cast removed next week after xray then into moonboot and non weightbearing for another 6 weeks. Ortho Surgeon has said he has done all he can now and its up to mother nature now to heal.