1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden Pain in Big Toe (Gout?)

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This same thing happened to me last night, woke me up at abut 3 a.m. and I couldn't get back to sleep. It was throbbing non stop and the pain was excruciating on the side of my toe nail. The pain isn't a throbbing any more, it's just a dull constant pain but my toe is red and a little swollen. How can this have happened to so many people and no one have an answer even after visiting the doctor?

Please someone find out soon, I don't want this pain to stay or to ever come back.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same problem - sudden sharp pain in my right toe. I was not sure what caused it but I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to a lack of B12. I purchased a 6,000 mcg vitamin from Sundown. It took about a week but they did work.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I don't know what this is, but it's on my foot too, right alon the edge of my left toenail. it hurts so bad. Throbbing and hot to the touch. I thought it was an ingrown toenail but I looked and I saw nothing out of the ordinary. Somebody help!!!! :,(

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is happening to me right now!!!! It's 4:30 in the morning and I have been up for an hour with throbbing, horrible pain in my left second toe (next to pinkie toe). I do have nail fungus on that toenail but it's never painful, just annoying to look at. This is truly horrible pain, I don't know what to do. Also I'm pregnant so it's not like I can pop a few advil and hope that it would help... I can't sleep. I'm propped up on the couch (already uncomfortable from being so pregnant) with my foot elevated and nothing is helping :( What the heck IS THIS?! I'm so frustrated right now...

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

yes, like you all I am having the same severe stabbing/burning pain in big toe. .... having difficulty sleeping although dipping toe in cold water brings some mild relief.

Like others the pain comes and goes... , but still the skin is tender around the base of nail. Noticed a redness and a slight blistering around the area.

I have suffered this several times, without treatment the pain can suddenly go..... there seems to be a gap of a couple of months and then for some reason the pain and imflamation comes back...!

Can't believe there is still no diagnosis to this painful problem.....

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Owww...

Okay It's 2:53 a.m. and I have a VERY bad pain in my big right toe. It hurts so bad I can't get to sleep. I'm kind of a hypochondriac so I really hope it isn't anything serious. But I don't understand how so many people can post to this forum and not have an answer yet. Nothing looks abnormal about the toe except maybe the skin around the nail beds is really dry. It could be an ingrown toe nail but I really don't think that is the case. I went rock climbing yesterday and put on their shoes but I don't see how I could have caught something because I had socks on. Please help, it really hurts.

7. Tstern

Tstern Guest

Ok so im not Crazy! It was about 1:00am i was awaken
    To this throbbing pain in the top of my left big toe. The pain seems to be
    under the toenail. I can not sleep so
    i got online and found that this seems to be happening with quite a few
    people. Scary!!!!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Crazy! Why the left toe? My left hurts also. My foot is cold and it aches more because of this. Strange. I was thinking bunion? Could be I'm falling apart - I think I have shoulder tendinitis too:( hurts to open car door,steer,even flush a commode. It's getting worse by the hour.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yep, me too. Awakened at 1:30 am with severe toe pain in my left toe. It was hurting so badly I incorporated the pain into the dream I was having before awaking. It is insanely painful. Hurts to touch, ice makes it worse, and forget about standing. I am hoping it will go away in the next few hours as some have mentioned here because I have to work. Ugh. I wish there was an answer, at least I feel less nuts after finding this thread.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

http://frzzbottespascher.webnode.fr/ xmgmvg buiqoo

spcxt yzvyy bottes ugg made in china <a href="http://frsbottespascher.webnode.fr/">ugg france</a> bottes ugg tall opnty vxyeef Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum - Reply to Topic qalwgkz moncler 海外通販 <a href="http://http://tokyoumonclaironline.webnode.jp/">モンクレール 青山</a> moncler 古着 ffyaxin ccjxd ダウンジャケット メーカー <a href="http://http://aoyamakmonclaironline.webnode.com/">モンクレール</a> モンクレールダウンジャケットサイズ xwgjcmff beams ダウンジャケット <a href="http://http://japmmonclaironline.webnode.jp/">モンクレール</a> モンクレール ダウン レディース ecvocqzm

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It is really strange I am having exactly the same symptoms at the nail bed of my left big toe and have the little kind of blister....and its red and hot and painful what on earth is going on? if anyone has any kind of answer or diagnosis of this please post it will be greatly appreciated!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What about apple cider vinegar and honey as a daily tonic? I just read Dr Braggs book and it seems it is good for everything. Could it be toxins in the toe?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

How can this be such a common thing and no one knows what it is? Currently experiencing these big toe symptoms. Feels like its coming from the entire right side of my left big toenail like its continuously growing sideways into my toe. Really painful...

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think I found out there is a tiny white line of toenail fungus on the edge f my nail where it was killing me earlier. Put some ice on my toe and took aspirin and inuprophen. Helped it subside. Toenail where the fungus is looks brittle. Look for those signs if you are having the same symptoms. Hope this will help anyone.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Had this happen to me, thought it was Gout. Uric acid test was normal (negative for Gout). Turns out it was Reactive Arthritis (Septic Arthritis). Needed antibiotics right away before joint has permanent damage. Go to WIKIPEDIA and look up both Reactive Arthritis and Septic Arthritis.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OK, so I am not nuts. I have been up for 4 hours and it is getting daylight. It is my Right Big Toe. All of it. There is no position for relief, heat nor cold help. It is not red, hot nor swollen. The pain extends along the bottom to about mid foot. It feels like the joint might be the epicenter and on a scale, the pain is a 9 with jaunts up to 12. I am in such severe pain at times my entire body trembles. Does RA start suddenly like this? Can it? With not warning at all, not even slightly? It isn't gout, going to get some B12 today and if it isn't better I will chop it off...JK

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

When I read this thread I thought I had gout. I had the same symptoms as everyone is describing; however, I just got back from the hospital and they said I had an infection. I have to take IV antibiotics and morphine for four days and then have it rechecked. When I looked it up online the articles said that it was important to see a doctor quickly to avoid complications.
    Although the internet is a great place to gather information, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible if pain persists.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Everyone seems to be waking up at 3am ish? Mines my middle toe but sounds about the same. Throbbing hurts with every heart beat. Seems to be the nail or under the nail. Very sensitive to touch. Woke me up at 3am and now I'm waiting for the advil to kick in been 40 minutes hope its soon need sleep. Its gotta be some kind of a fungus or infection doesn't it?

19. Rajerry

Rajerry Guest

Wow this is freaky, it is 3:30am and I woke up about 30 minutes ago with a very sharp pain at the base of my big toe on my right foot. Can't sleep due to pain, 2 aleves down and some high strength pain relief cream and still nothing. No fongus at all, but the pain is almost the exact same as a bone fracture with the same symptoms. Any kind of movement makes the pain shoot up to 3 times as bad. No idea what it could be but how weird is it that it seems to happen to everyone at 3am....

20. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

For reducing the pain take ibuprofen. Gout is caused by the buildup of too much uric acid in the body. Maintain a healthy, balanced diet. Avoid foods that are high in purines, and drink plenty of water.