1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones Fracture Average healing times

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mackly

mackly Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys and gals! I've been following this thread since 01/16/11 that is the day I got a jones fx. Its been about 14 weeks now and I am currently on a stationary bike as I'm typing this. First just like to let you know there is hope for healing without surgery. I was nwb for 8 weeks then had problems with the tendoins in my arms and couldn't use the crutches anymore. My pedotrist allowed my to put weight on it for the remaining time however I had to wear a boot. I am was training for a marathon before I broke it so as soon as I was able to walk I was at the gym once again but no lower body training. Today I was given the ok to wear a regular sneaker and also got the ok to start my lower body training again but no running. I think what helped me heal a lot was vitamins, no more smoking, and a postive mind set. There's this latin phrase that kept me going : "be patient be tough: someday this pain will be useful to you." Take care everybody don't let it bring you down.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hell0 everyone, well it appears that i have a long healing process in front of me, i definetly have a jones fractrue, with a slight separation in the break, i am finding the immobilization extremely frustrating. i am unable to even go and get myself something to drink in this 90 degree weather, i have to wait for buerocratic red tape to get my wheelchair and am finding it aggrivating. i am unable to go to school, with only 4 weeks left in semester, this is really bad timing. i am really at a lost of what to do further.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Its been 3 weeks since I broke my foot... Jones FX as well, and my husband bought me a task chair with wheels for $19.99 at Target... I can wheel around the down stairs...thank god we do not have carpet, but, tile... perhaps you can get a chair at least this say you can help yourself and feel a little more freedom. I do laundry, put dishes away, swiffer the floors, iron, a few little things still.... take care honey... I feel frustration and pain...

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i just had the dreaded fracture 1 week ago and the podiatrist i went to has given me a deadline of a week to decide if i want the surgery but he is telling me that i may never walk again without the surgery doesnt this seem kinda drastic i mean he is the podiatrist he said 20% of cases in children are able to heal correctly without surgery and me being an adult(so they say) i probably will not heal

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I rolled my foot while sprinting at the end of a distance run on May 15th and now have a Jones Fracture. Experiencing very little pain and some swelling on top of foot. My orthopedic was optimistic but strongly recommended conservative treatment, cast for at least 6 weeks and non-weight bearing for at lest 3 weeks. Hoping for the best...

6. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

wow I didn't realize how common these were until coming to this forum. Mine was at the very base of the 5th metatarsal-a "true" jone fx.....it was a total of about 5 months...about 8 weeks in a fiberglass cast (not removable) NO weight bearing....and the rest of the time in a rigid boot..partial weight.....only thing that saved me from surgery was the exogen bone stimulator...if they are talking about surgery you should def. inquire about this first.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was treated to my Jones fracture on May 3rd while playing basketball. I'm a 31 year old male who is quite active. As such I was given the option to go the surgical route. I jumped at it since I want to reduce my healing time.

I had surgery on 5/13. A few days after surgery I was put into a fiberglass cast and instructed to put no weight on my foot for 6-8 weeks. I have revisited my podiatrist to have a new cast put on since my swelling continues to decrease. It has now been over two weeks since my surgery and I'm staying off my foot. I go back on 6/8 to get my cast off and see how the bone is healing. I was told at this point I may be put into a walking boot but still not allowed to bear weight.

I read a study which indicated patients who opt for surgery return to their full activity level around 11 weeks postoperatively. Those who go the conservative route return to full activity in around 18-20 months.

I anticipate being back to weight bearing around July 8th. I figure it will then take at least three weeks to build up my leg muscles again. It is amazing just how depleted my calf has gotten in just three weeks. This would put me back at full activity around the beginning of August - 11 weeks post surgery.

Good luck to all of you.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm the guy who had Jones fracture on 5/15 going conservative route. No movement or additional separation at follow up visit after 1 week. NWB until next visit 6/5. If everthing still looks good they said I will move to PWB at that time. I know the odds are against me, but I hope to start running again shortly after 10/1 (10 weeks). Wish me luck!

Also ortho recommends I stay in a cast through 6 weeks. When I asked about other options she mentioned boot as an option beyond week 3 (if everything looks good), but cast is best in her opinion. I don't want to set myself back so leaning toward staying with cast, but it sure would be nice to expose my leg to fresh air now and then!

Anyone out there familiar with pros/cons of cast versus boot? Is the cast much better if you want to heal as quickly as possible?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think you've answered your own question. The temptation to take the boot off to get some "fresh air" on your leg seems like it would just be too tempting, too often. For this reason I've stuck with my cast even after being given the option to go with the boot after two weeks of a cast.

A cast truly immobilizes your foot, whereas a boot leaves you too much flexibility. It is also too tempting to put weight on your foot since the boot is more shoe like than a cast. As tempting as it may be to go with the boot, I'm happy I've stuck with the cast. I take solace in the fact that I know I am doing whatever I can to make my foot heal. I am know almost three weeks post surgery and can't wait to get back on both my feet.

Good luck.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I stayed with the cast. No separation or displacement after 3 weeks. Now have a rubber soled shoe on the cast and partial weight bearing up to 50% of my body weight for next 3 weeks. The plan is to take the cast off in 3 weeks and next step will be determined by what they see on xray in 3 weeks. Staying positive and hoping to be one of the cases that heals normally in 8-10 weeks!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jones Fx here on April 28, 2011. Was into it 2 weeks when I read your post. I am so glad you posted this. The task chair was a life saver. I initially rolled around the kitchen singing "Freedom." Thank you.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

jones fracture on may 3 now after 4 weeks had checkup and doc says foot is healing fine at 6 weeks now foot feels fine but swelling still has not gone down . any time my foot is not elevated it swells quickly i would think it would dissipate as i go along but it swells just as much as day 2 is this normal??? i am in a rigid boot and still do not have any weight bearing on foot i unfortunately do not have insurance so i have been going to the er every couple of weeks to have xrays done just kind of worried about the swelling

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I, too, have a positive story. On 5/14/2011, I dove over a wave in shallow water in the Gulf of Mexico and slapped the top of my right foot on the sand, resulting in a Jones Fracture four hours into our vacation. (Stupid, but common enough for the doctor to be worried right away about my neck and head) No pain as I dealt with a mouth full of sea water and sore chest. As I walked out of the water about a minute later to my wife, I said to her, "I think I broke my foot." Not because of the immediate pain, because something did not feel right. I then thought twice and assured her I would be fine. Five minutes later I, decided to look for the best hospital in the Tampa Bay area. I then quickly hobbled off the beach toward the car trying to get away from a "Wizard of OZ" type super-cell. I saw children being whisked away and Toto jumped into my arms from the Wicked Witch of the West's bike. (Sorry, I live in the Northeast and I am not accustomed to that type of severe storm. My terrible storms are usually blankets of white and I am dressed in 7 layers, not swim trunks.) Anyway, either the lack of pain in the water or the rushing off the beach, I chipped two pieces, one on each side, off of the top of my clean Jones Fracture. When the pain hit, which only happened when I moved it wrong, it felt like TV snow looks, almost a static-like burn. I was put in a splint and sent on my merry vacation.

When I flew back home, I went to the doctors and they told me what my options would be in 5 weeks after they removed the cast, pin or air cast. They gave me a rigid cast and told me to stay off of it. After 1 and 3 weeks, I got another cast because of the loss of swelling in my foot and calf, respectively. I stayed off it, especially because I knew the area was a low blood flow one. But I did formulate my own plan. I was not going to be idle about the situation. I learned how to use the crutches with a hop thrown into each swing. I was faster than my family walking. I also learned how to hop on one leg and balance really well. I could hop across my acre yard without any issues and only be forced to quit when my lungs gave out. I moved on the first floor of my house with a <$20 office chair from Walmart to do housework, made suppers and went where ever my family went. I was also fortunate enough to have a wheelchair for the garage and I organized and cleaned that area. I was not going to let me situation dictate my outlook or healing process.

Now, I was not always an angel. Three chances I took could have jeopardized the healing. The first was coming down stairs one day. On the last step as I was hopping down them, my left foot dragged and stopped on the carpet, forcing my right, broken foot to catch my fall. My first four toes were crushed against the top of the cast and the bottom of the cast's integrity was compromised, making it soft. It could not handle my 220 lbs with some force behind it. The second occurrence was a move I made without thinking. I was so used to hoping with my left foot that I tried to get into our SUV that way. Try forcing a 6'3" body into the door of a small SUV. My cast foot smashed against the frame of the door. Really stupid, but something I almost did again after the initial event. Anyway, the last event was in desperation. My wife and I were a little upset with my absence from a yard sale we were part of and I was trying to set up for it, but running out of time. I had a table in the woods behind our house had to get it out to put on the road and really the only one able to complete the task. I hopped out there, grabbed the glass top and started hopping out of the woods. My left foot dragged and I smashed my right foot again catching my. Undaunted, I kept going. All three of the casts I had were pretty well damaged. All of those events could have and should have been prevented. But, 99% of the time I was continuing to move, I was smart about the chances I took.

I am happy to say that yesterday I was put into an air cast with good repair on the inside and soft tissue on the outside. The doctor practically put my fifth metatarsal in a choke hold when checking for pain, but there was none.

I am no doctor, but I truly believe that my unwillingness to feel sorry for myself and be waited on hand and foot, helped the healing. (My unemployed, live-in, Mother-in-Law would have obliged) I also live a pretty healthy lifestyle; 35 years old with no history of smoking or alcohol and relatively consistent exercise. My only weakness is sugar. In six weeks I get another X-Ray and if anyone is interested, I will post again. Thanks and I hope this post encourages someone in this situation.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 15th jones fx guy - 6 week visit today. Cast came off as planned. X-ray shows healing but fracture still slightly visible, no pain, ortho said I'm doing very good. That said, its still a slow process from here. Stiff soled shoe as I wean myself off crutches during next two weeks (if foot gets sore I'm supposed to get back on the crutches until the pain subsides). Can move on to more comfortable shoes after 2 weeks if I'm completely off the crutches and pain free for several days. I was given permission to use a spinning bike for cardio work out (forgot to ask about swimming) but that's it aside from walking. I go back again in another 3 weeks for what he hopes will be my last xray. I got the impression that my goal to be running again by Aug 1st is unrealistic, probably more like late Aug early Sep.

I was a little discouraged to see that there is still some slight swelling at the fracture site. Ortho didn't seem concerned about that. Said it sometimes takes 2-3 months to get rid of swelling in an extremity. I asked if ice would help reduce the swelling at this stage and he said no.

Not out of the woods yet, but I think I'm on my way to healing in reasonable time without surgery!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Today marked 6 weeks in a hard cast and almost 7 weeks since my surgery. X-rays showed progressive healing! I was taken out of the hard cast and put into a boot with partial (heel) weight bearing. I was instructed to be partial weight bearing for the next 3 weeks. My next appointment is 7/20, at which time more x-rays will be taken. If all continues to look good I will be promoted to full-weight bearing in the boot for a few weeks. The next step will be back to my normal shoes and physical therapy.

I'm anticipating a slightly longer wait until I'm back to full activity. Beginning of August no longer looks feasible. I'm shooting for a return at the beginning of September.

Frankly, I'm just glad to be on the next step in the recovery process.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

May 15th jones fracture guy again. Since my ortho visit at 6 weeks I got off the crutches before 7 weeks, walked (limped in the beginning) in a stiff soled shoe for about a week and a half, and have been walking in a comfortable shoe without any pain for a little over a week. I had my 9 week visit today. X-ray showed very good healing especially through the middle of the bone. No more follow up visits required and I'm cleared to start running again and weight lifting in 1 to 2 weeks. I actually am going to make my goal to start back by August 1st! Need to start slow (no more than 2 miles and cut my weights in at least a half compared to pre-injury) but it's great to know I can start soon. I certainly realize I'm fortunate and this injury can be a slow or non-healer, but for those looking for upside, in my case I was back to walking without pain in 8 weeks and ready to resume running and weight exercises in 11-12 weeks. Not sure what to attribute that to, I will say I was in good shape before it happened, stayed off it (non-weigh bearing) for 3 weeks, didn't bear more than half my weight for another 3 weeks, stayed in a cast for 6 weeks, had lots of help, tried to have fun with it (OK I'm stretching on that one), took calcium supplements everyday, and maintained a good diet. I'm 48 years old and don't smoke. Good luck and speedy recovery to anyone else out there that incurs this injury!

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Awesome news! Congrats! I'm guy who has been posting right after you each time. I had surgery on 5/13 so we are on a similar schedule. I go for my 9 week follow up on Wednesday. I think I'll be losing the crutches finally. My foot feels great in the boot with partial weight bearing. So good in fact, that today I almost put the boot on my other foot by accident.

I'll post my progress after my appointment. I'm hoping to be in my own shoes by 8/3. Just in time for my trip to San Diego.

Cheers,

Scott

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Best of luck Scott!

I did something similar when I started feeling very good. I play softball and went to the game last Thursday. I wanted to be a part of the game so I decided to coach a base. I also decided to tape my foot as added protection while out on the field. Half way through taping I realized I was taping the wrong foot!!!

Enjoy the trip to San Diego.

Bill

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Had my 9 week follow up today. X-rays showed radiographic healing. You can still see the original break line but the bone has filled in the gap now.

I was cleared for full weight bearing while wearing my walking boot. Very awkward thus far as I have a significant limp. It feels great to have ditched the crutches though!

I can transition into stiff soled shoes in two weeks. I cannot wait to be back in two matching shoes. After asking about ankle braces for basketball, I was given a Gameday ankle brace by Ossur to wear with my stiff soled shoe for extra support. I have a follow up on 8/24. If all goes well I will be cleared to resume activity. Starting out with shorts runs etc.

I'm extremely happy to be at this point in the healing process. I told my podiatrist that he is the only doctor whose appointments I've ever looked forward to going to - because it means progress.

Anyone know of a place to get a carbon fiber shoe insole without my doc ordering it?

Cheers,

Scott

20. Confused

Confused Guest

So.... I injured my foot on July 2011. I went to the er and they told me I broke my foot they gave me crutches and on of those flat sole sandles and refered me to a doctor. The doctors visit was 4 days later. He took new xrays and told me to begin to try to walk on the foot. He said the stress of my weight on the foot will speed up the healing. Although it was very painful I did as he said. It is now 14 weeks after my injury and still no healing. I changed doctors and now am seeing a foot dr. He suggests surgery or a bone stimulating treatment(he is not too convinced on the bone stimulating treatment as he says that it is not guarenteed to work.

Now my question is : WHY did the first dr. tell me to put weight on my foot!!!! What was he thinking. This obviously interrupted any possibility of healing. Now Im in this predicament because of his actions!!

Im am scared to death about surgery and want to avoid it.

Darla
    Albany NY