1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Gait abnormality?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This is something that's haunted me off and on throughout my entire life, and I'm looking to get to get at the heart (and sole) of it. I don't know what the exact issue is, so I'll provide as much detail as I can in hopes someone may pick up some sort of symptoms, but before that, here's what alerted me to the issue to begin with:

For as long as I can remember, I've had people commenting on the way I walk. It's not a common occurrence or obvious issue, but it has been consistent enough to worry me. The earliest instance I remember was when I was around 6 years old playing in the front yard, my mom told me not to walk "like that" or I'll have problems when I get older (or something along those lines). I had no clue what she meant, because I didn't feel like I was walking any differently than normal. Middle school and high school it really started getting bad - I remember my P.E. coach asking me if I had a limp at one point after jogging around the track all period (I didn't), and several classmates commenting on it over the course of a few years. After high school, I didn't hear much anything again until my cousin and I were hanging out drinking one night. Being a little more forward than usual, he mentioned seeing me "walk funny" a few times and that it wasn't all the time, and it wasn't pronounced enough for him to have commented on it/tell what the problem was. I let it go for the time being and have since started doing some research.

As for the details of my standing/walking positions - when I stand, my feet form a bit of a V. Whether this is normal or not I don't know, but if I straighten them so my toes point directly forward parallel to each other, my knees end up pointing inward, like this: ^ It's not comfortable at all. When I'm walking or running, it often feels like my feet are swaying a bit while in the air (almost a side to side motion), and I feel a lot of the pressure on the outer edges of my feet, focused more towards in the center/heel than the near the toes. If there's any more info I could give that I may have left out, feel free to ask. I realize this is a pretty vague description, and yes I would like to see a professional podiatrist eventually, but I don't currently have the means to do so (job hunting at the moment). Any possibilities you guys could give me to research would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Super Moderator

Sounds like 'external tibial torsion'

How old are you?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm in my early 20s

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Super Moderator

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/p_1-b4nIxLg/mqdefault.jpg

Looks pretty similar to my own natural foot position.

Whatever it may be isn't pronounced enough to have people commenting on it frequently - perhaps once or twice a year. It's just something that's always been at the back of my mind due to the consistency of people mentioning it. The goal of this post is mainly to try and figure out what it might be. I've got some other tabs open with External Tibial Torsion as the topic of interest, so I'll be reading up on those and checking back here periodically - I appreciate the response!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Waiting on mods to approve another post at the moment, but in the meantime:

If you search "Tibial Torsion wiki gait" and look at the video of the guy doing squats with blue dots on his legs, it looks similar to my own situation. Attempting to hold my feet straight causes the knees to point inward with minor discomfort, and attempting a squat in that position causes a slight pain in the knees, particularly in my right leg. Comfortable resting position has my feet pointing outward at around the same angle shown at the 28 second mark (described in the text as the third set of squats). You might have hit the nail on the head - unless you've got any other ideas, I'll file this away for when I can take a trip to a podiatrist for an official response/diagnosis (such a thing would be easier to confirm in person, I imagine).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013