1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden severe pain without injury

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Pkillebr, May 12, 2010.

1. Bishop

Bishop New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    and if x-rays and mri's show nothing?
    and the pain changes front left to right, both on knees and ankles and travels and the doc's think you really need a scope done but can't explain why there is pain or why it moves or why it a baits when you treat your back, what then?

Remember, to a carpenter, the answer to all problems is a hammer.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Look into plantar faciitas. If I stand on my tippie toes or squat too much then a day or 2 later my foot will ache extremely bad. Try freezing a 20 oz water bottle, place it on the floor, and using your foot and as much pressure as you can stand, start rolling it back and fourth. Ice baths help. Try using the rice method. Rest, ice, compress, elevate. For me the elevation part makes my foot throb, but everyone is different. I hope this helps.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Having a recurring issue with my left foot, I began a search - here is one of the interesting things found, which matched my actions and symptoms.

Ankle Pain With No Sprain?

I see several patients on a weekly basis that complain of ankle pain that have no history of recent ankle sprain or any trauma. They describe their pain as sharp and burning on the inside of the ankle with swelling and pain that is worse with walking, but continues as aching pain at rest. Some patients can have so much pain that they are unable to walk without crutches. On exam, I will find that the posterior tibial tendon is swollen and painful usually from behind the ankle bone down to where the tendon inserts in the foot. The job of this tendon is to help the foot swing inward in gait and support the arch. But with flat feet, the tendon is overworked and often then forms small tears in the area just described which then causes pain and swelling. When asking a patient to walk in my office, the affected foot will show minimal to no arch height and the ankle will appear to be falling inward, sometimes almost touching the ground. There is usually pain with isolating this tendon on a muscle exam as well. So how does this really happen? Overuse is the most common mechanism of injury. Wearing flip flops or going barefoot on a regular basis. Starting a vigorous exercise program when you previously were not exercising. Walking a significant amount on a vacation like Disney World when this is unusual for your daily amount of activity. Treatment starts with an evaluation and xrays to ensure you do not have anything else that may be causing your pain and to get a better idea of your bone and joint structure. Next, rest, ice and compression are the key to getting your swelling and pain under control. In severe cases, bracing may be necessary to achieve this goal. Once your pain and swelling have resolved, the next thing you need to do is prevent this from happening again. The best way to do that is wear good supportive shoe gear and be fitted for custom orthotics. Without preventative care, this tendonitis can because a chronic dysfunction of the foot and ankle requiring surgical reconstruction.

4. katzmeowii

katzmeowii Guest

I have been doctoring with a very similar issue. They told me I have PTTIS which is posterior tibial tendon insufficiency syndrome. I had to take large doses of Ibuphrophen (anti-inflammatory),and get foot orthotics. The orthotics are very expensive and limit you to only certain shoes. But the pain after 3 months seems to shift a bit in my foot, depending on which shoes I wear. The first pain was along the inside of the foot right below the boney ankle bone. With the orthotics the pain will shift to the top of my foot or sometimes to the outside edge or part of heel. But the pain on the inside part of foot is gone.
    Still the pain should be less by now I would think. The ortho doc told me that it would take several months before it would really be better.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the exact same thing, Right now in fact. Pain is 7-9/10, non-weight bearing. I am a Chiropractor with significant training in extremities. Most problems are biomechanical. There is a biomechanical aspect, but I have made the connection with yeast and or gluten intolerance. I changed my diet and it disappeared. I had a slight ache on Monday, was on it a bit, then had pizza, spaghetti and a Hefenviesen last night, today I can't walk. I've researched it and likely it's a blood born yeast infection, or gluten intolerance or both. I would try to avoid breads and yeast containing foods. It's not a common condition, but very severe and debilitating. In the past it has lasted 1-2 weeks. It might also be gout. Tart cherry pills, alkaline water. That's what I've come up with. With definite probability, it is not a herniated disk.

6. perritt7

perritt7 New Member

I have pain right under my toes, I don't think it's plantar fasciitis cause I had that on the other heel of my foot a (heel spur). Any one else expencing this?:(

7. Josie

Josie Guest

8. Josie

Josie Guest

Poster wrote:
    Went to urgent care, xrays showed nothing, tested me for gout, ra and lupus and all came back negative.

There are two kinds of gout. One is gout and the other is pseudo-gout and they are different and they both are painful. Google: pseudo- gout and get the fancy name I can't remember how to spell.

I took my grandfather to the ER for severe pain in his knee, luckily when the test for regular gout came back negative the doctor removed what looked like 1/3 cup of fluid from Grandfather's knee and sent a sample to the lab and got the pseudogout diagnosis. The knee felt better with the fluid removal and we got him pain medication and went home.

You don't have to learn the correct name to ask your doctor about it, pseudogout or pseudo-gout will be good enough.

Josie

9. tizzle107

tizzle107 Guest

This is happening get to me now It was in the right foot front ankle first It just started hurting out of nowhere I went to urgent care the next morning they took x-rays found nothing gave me inflammatory meds and wrapped my ankle after 4 days of it wrapped it it was better so I figured maybe I did hit it until yesterday it started hurting again but this time in the other foot now I'm worried it seems like a blood prob or something i was just laying down and got up in the middle of the night and it was like the blood just rushed to my ankle and my anlke got swollen i have a doctor appt in two days maybe he'll have a answer

10. Jimmy B

Jimmy B New Member

I am now 47 years old, male, a bit overweight. This has happen to me several times now. The first time was around 30 yrs old. I woke up and my foot hurt a little. The next day I woke up it was worse. By the 3rd day I was in Excruciating pain where by my right foot hurt just laying there. I could't get comfortable any way I put it. I couldn't walk on it. I almost had to crawl.
    I made my way to the Emergency room. Where I waited in pain for 2 hours. (Clara Mass in Belleville NJ - SUCKS ) !!! Finally the Doctor came in to see me. He said I probably twisted it in my sleep. WHAT A QUACK !!! They gave me crutches and sent me on my way. Even on the crutches I was in SO MUCH PAIN. The air hitting my foot hurt. I made it through the night with advil. popping 3 every 4 hours. Next day it was worse. I went to a Foot doctor my friend told me to go see. If you live in NJ. Dr. Arena. (Highly Recommended).
    He took x rays. Said no sprains, no brakes, not twisted. What you have is a type of Gout Arthritis. He said. It is caused by food you eat and weight fluctuation. Usually Chocolate, Alcohol and when you lose weight then gain it back. It is not Actual Gout. That usually attacks the big toe. This actually starts on the other side of the foot, on the side and actually travels to different joints on the top and middle of your foot.
    You want to ask your Doctor for Allopurinol. This controls your uric acid that your liver produces then crystallizes in for foot joints.
    Test for Diabetes yearly. I know it's not easy but you must Lose weight and keep it off. I went through this for 10 years ! Sometimes it happened once a year. Sometimes twice a year and even sometimes from foot to foot. It sucks when it happens. SO PAINFUL ! On a pain scale of 1 to 10. It is easily a 10. Hope this helps and good luck.

11. Chad

Chad Guest

12. Jimmy Bucci

Jimmy Bucci Guest

13. Jimmy Bucci

Jimmy Bucci Guest

You definitely have a type of Arthritis \ Gout. I have been through it many times. With many mis-diagnoses !
    1 time I crawled in and out of the Emergency room because they said I had a sprain. idiots !

For now. Take 3-4 advil. Take with milk if you have stomach issues.
    Then get to the foot doctor. The Doc will probably give you a steroid shot in the foot. This helps. Then he will probably give you a anti- inflammatory and pain prescription. Ask him about putting you on
    Allopurinol. This will PREVENT any future outbreaks.
    Your pain will start subsiding by day 3. Though still in pain. You should be able to limp at this point. REMEMBER ! It will always be worse at NIGHT !!! It should be totally gone in 5-7 days. Hope This helps and Good Luck.

14. Rodger

Rodger Guest

15. Rodger

Rodger Guest

I woke up yesterday too with severe pain on top of my right foot from ankle to ankle. I can barely walk. Then yesterday evening I notice two large swelling in the area. I took voltarian pills and rub. This morning the swelling is down a bit and I can walk a bit but it hurts a lot. I am also curious to know what this is?

16. Karolis

Karolis Guest

Found this thread, because I was looking for solution to a similar problem, because it feels bizarre. So I`m 32 male, 180cm 83kg, not fat or overweight, healthy eating, vegan bla bla, some exercise, but could do more :D

So two days ago I felt a little pain ->lower and a little to the front from the bone that is sticking on the ankle. next day limping a little bit, the pain was bearable, tried to massage the foot... nothing, so when I felt the foot, where the pain is coming there is nothing there, well, the pain is between calcaneus and cuboid bones, now, today I went to the store and I felt horrible, I was hangry and mad because I was limping like crazy and could not catch up to my GF.
    I had no injury for sure, no exercise recently. Weather is crap and I work from home. but now in the evening I cannot put any pressure on it, even when sitting, I feel the pain a little bit, any pressure, hurts like hell. Any real solutions to it>? no point in taking medicine, do not believe in that, because it is not a disease and it is not a consequence that has to be treated with some bs pills.

But I did notice one answer that caught my attention, ===> You have a herniated disc in your l4/l5 lower spine.
    So I looked it up, and the pain should be on the top of the foot, not on the side between them two funny bones. Any comments on that>?
    so when I`m researching this case(already got tired reading all that 10 year old crap) could too much sitting cause this pain? sofa, chair, bench, table too low?
    if yes, how to straighten the back to get rid of this pain? back exercises? some kind of stretching? need advice before more damage is done. no doctors, no stupid pills... it is not a solution.
    p.s. i fell the heat in the foot, hmmm, inflammation?
    email me @ kjukna2@gmail.com Thanks.

17. Sparky

Sparky New Member

18. Sparky

Sparky New Member

Hi,
    I wish I had a solution but I am replying to your post to let you know that you are not alone. I have had the same situation on and off for months. It can be just like you said too painful to walk, if I didn't have to go to the bathroom, I would not move . The pain can be so severe one day in BOTH feet but the next day almost gone . Unfortunately the days in pain can be many. I think I find a solution (shoe change, medication, etc.) but the next day pain again . Medication doesn't seem to help. I have tried muscle relaxers, very strong pain medication, nerve pain medication and none of them help. I read a little further in this forum and someone had luck with support for flat feet. I don't think my feet are flat but I will try anything . I cried the whole time I had to be on my feet this morning . I am calling to make an appointment with a podiatrist after I hit send. Please let me know if you find a solution .

19. I second that....I have had a few cases of gout in different parts of the foot and ankle. The only thing I can compare it to is a severe ankle sprang or even a break. The first time I had it was in the big toe and it was impossible to even move the toe, no less try to walk on it. Other time is in the ankle and it swelled up to the point you couldn't even see the ball of the ankle area and turned all red. This time I am experiencing it on the inside side of my foot up to the ankle. The first two times it was confirmed as gout, I haven't had this one diagnosed yet but I am pretty certain it is just that? its an extremely sharp pain on the inside part of my foot up to the ankle. It basically feels like a bad sprang. I am giving it a few days before I go and get it evaluated just due to be certain it is just that, gout. I am experienced enough with it now to know how to treat it but if it doesn't get better than I will go and get evaluated. Hope this helps in anyway.....

20. Same

Same Guest

Could it be because we used to stand for hours that our feet got tired? Do you?