1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swelling with ankle and top of foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by onelove, Mar 23, 2010.

1. onelove

onelove New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ok trying to explain this the best I can:

A week ago I had swelling on the top of my foot with pain when I walked. I think it was due to running after a friends dog that got loose in my workboots up and down an incline. Not exactly the choice of footwear to do this in. The pain started on thursday night, it was a burning sensation that got worse when I tried to put some weight on it, on the top of the foot more towards the little toe side. Friday and Saturday it seemed to get better, but me being stupid I decided to meet some friends Saturday night. It got harder to walk and I was limping by the end of the night. It was the burning pain again, but worse. As soon as I got off of it and took some Motrin it seemed to calm down. The next morning I woke up to a swollen ankle on both sides plus across the top of the foot where the shin meet the foot, with pain below the actual ankle on both side but more pain on the outside. It was very reddish purple when it wasn't elevated. I also had pain in the Achilles Tendon and the bottom of the heel. It was impossible to walk for a couple days, I had to use crutches. I went to me GP, I was informed to take Motrin for pain, ice the ankle and elevate it. Also to use a compression wrap. I had an xray that was normal. It is now 9 days after waking up to that and I can walk again, the pain is getting better and the swelling has went down.

My concern is what exactly does this sound like? I didn't roll my ankle that night at all.. It is still really stiff and the range of motion is limited. Im having trouble bending my foot up all the way. I'm still feeling pain on the outside ankle, under it. Can I do anything to help this along? How long (est) do you think this is going to take to heal?

Any insight would be appreciated, my GP was not very helpful at all. Thanks!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

A GP would not generally be expected to have the expertise to diagnosis and treat such a situation. It would not be possible for someone simply reading your description to responsibly make a diagnosis and advise proper treatment. See a podiatrist or an orthopedist.

3. onelove

onelove New Member

How about an educated guess as to whats going on?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

What part of "It would not be possible for someone simply reading your description to responsibly make a diagnosis and advise proper treatment." is unclear?

5. onelove

onelove New Member

Well first off im not going to hold you responsible if you are wrong. I was just asking what could be wrong in that area of my foot with a little background info. No need to be a dick about it.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I was not talking about legal responsibility, and your holding me legally responsible is irrelevant anyhow, as you can't do that in forum situation where there is no professional/client relationship. But did you ever consider the fact that I might wish to be responsible in the moral rather than legal sense of the word? Being true to my personal sense of appropriateness, even if that does not serve your whims or purposes is MY business, not YOURS, and in no way is it deserving of such characterizations as my "being a dick about it." It is YOU who appears to be the dick in this situation. When you ask for answers from a professional to whom you have paid for his/her services and get an answer which you don't feel is responsive, you might have a right to complain and even get your money back. But when you ask for and get a free-bee, if you don't like what you get, the non-dick simply moves on, and THAT is what I suggest YOU do.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. onelove

onelove New Member

Ok IF you read my original post you would see that my GP didn't say WHAT was wrong, not even a little explanation. If you really are a professional I would value your opinion based on your experience treating people.
    OPINION is the key word here. Im not looking for a freebie by any means. I realize this is a forum but everyone else gives a half assed mostly spelled wrong incoherent account of what has happened and you go and answer them.....

Why would this forum even be here if you can't even give a generalized answer as to a couple things that MIGHT be wrong?

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

OPINON in doctor talk is gleaned through a professional process. It is NOT merely a guess. Your neighbor can give you an "opinion," and that may have no basis in fact. When a professional opens his/her with an "opinion," if should be based on reasonable medical evidence. If I believed that I had enough information from your original post to offer a professional "opinion," I would have done so. If you have read many of my responses, my answer is frequently that I don't have sufficient information to offer an opinion, and that the questioner should see a doctor. I can't tell you precisely why this forum is here. I come here just as do you and I have no association with it other than I choose to answer questions to which I think I can supply a reasonable and helpful response. Sometimes that helpful response is precisely what I told you. I have state many times that, in my opinion, forums such as this are appropriate only for general educational information, but not for case-dependent questions, and ESPECIALLY not where some sort of diagnosis needs to be made or treatment offered for a condition which first requires diagnosis.

Can you please stop your harangue and accept the fact that I really don't have to explain or give a reason for not answering your question in the manner which YOU expected?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. jmm25

jmm25 Guest

I was doing an internet search for a similar pain/swelling that I have in my foot and came across this dialog.

FootDoc (if you ARE, in fact, a doctor), you are probably the rudest I've come upon. It is one thing to not be willing/able to provide any further information in a forum but I think you'll find that adopting the old adage of 'if you do not have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all' would serve you well. OneLove's request wasn't unreasonable and if you didn't feel comfortable answering it (or answering it politely), you shouldn't have. Moreover, you shouldn't have continued to reply with increasingly unprofessional verbiage. It was juvenile and unnecessary.

It seemed that OneLove was merely asking for some input as to possible causes of this type of pain/swelling in order to be pointed in the right direction for securing the appropriate medical attention and, then, to be able to establish a useful dialog with the doctor. I hope that your unprofessional behavior did not deter her(?) from doing so.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Swelling on ankle and top of foot pain

i have had painless swelling at the top of my foot close to my ankle and a bulge just directly below it for a year.lately i started having cramps and heaviness of the legs.my G.P.had told me that i have rheumatoid arthritis of the hip and knee and with this recent development,im abit concerned.pls advice

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sorry, but this IS a dick answer, used by dicks to make a dick point and make non-dicks feel stupid. You could have phrased it in any of a thousand other ways and not been a dick, but you didn't, you decided that being a dick would make you look cool and by posting your name as FootDoc you think that earns you respect...I'm starting to doubt you have an MD and simply created the name to sound professional, when you (most likely) aren't. You're just a dick.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just stumbled across this while looking up a problem with swelling in the front of my foot....could not agree more.....what a dick!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Seems you are missing a few letters in your name...shouldn't it read FOOT DOuChe...