foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Night-time foot pain in children

Old 28th June 2008, 02:05 AM
Unregistered

Default Night-time foot pain in children

My daughters suffer from pain in their feet at night. They describe it as having "cold" feet, so I can only guess at poor circulation? Their father recognised the symptoms and recalled having the same problems as a small child. My daughters are 4 and 2 years. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th June 2008, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Night-time foot pain in children

Unless your daughters really have something seriously wrong with them, I highly doubt that at age 2 and 4 years they are demonstrating symptoms of poor circulations. It is certainly not common for such young children to be complaining of foot pain, even when there is justification for it. But it is especially hard for me to associate their relating feet feeling cold to pain, short of their having frost bite or sudden arterial occlusion, and I certainly don't think that is the case. But asking why they have pain, and especially only at night, without even some sort of story which elucidates on it is no more reasonable than asking what's wrong if they perhaps had a headache of a stomach ache and expecting a meaningful answer. First, get as much detail as you can to the extent that your young children can offer it to you, and then seek out a podiatrist who specializes in or has a good deal of interest in treating the feet of children.
Old 30th July 2008, 06:11 AM
Unregistered

i have had foot pains since i was about five all the way up till now( i am now 16) it is always the same foot (right) and when i was little i would wake up crying in pain on the side and bottom of my foot the doctor said it was just growing pains but my parents never really were sure thats what was causing it. i would suggest taking them to the doctor to see what they think because i remember having it when i was a child and at times the pain was horrible
Old 14th August 2008, 01:38 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Night-time foot pain in children

I have a son who is 4 and wakes up at night in tears because his feet hurt. I have to give him motrin and I also rub myoflex on his feet. I feel bad for him because I know they hurt and I have no reason why. He has had this problem for about the last year or so. It does not seem to be getting better either. I also thought growing pains but now I am not sure. I just know he wakes up in pain about once or twice a week.
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Cool Re: Night-time foot pain in children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a son who is 4 and wakes up at night in tears because his feet hurt. I have to give him motrin and I also rub myoflex on his feet. I feel bad for him because I know they hurt and I have no reason why. He has had this problem for about the last year or so. It does not seem to be getting better either. I also thought growing pains but now I am not sure. I just know he wakes up in pain about once or twice a week.
My son is 3 years old and he also wakes up in the middle of the night in pain with his foot,
Doctor said it was his shoes adidas, nike that was giving him the pain so we stopped putting those type of shoes on him but he is still in pain.
I would just love to find out once and for all what the problem is, good luck with your little boy. xx
Old 3rd June 2009, 02:14 AM
Unregistered

My son is almost 4 years old and also developed foot pain with no history of injury. It is worse at night causing him to wake up crying, and is also relieved by motrin. As is turns out, his father and I are both physicians and I am an orthopedic surgeon. I brought him to a friend who is a pediatric orthopedist who believes this is Kohlers' and he is being treated in a walking boot. To offer another possibility for those whose kids do not have radiographic changes consistent with Kohlers' (collapse and sclerosis of the navicular bone), there is also an entity called osteoid osteoma. This is a small benign bone lesion (often less than 1 cm) that is tremendously painful, hurts more at night, and is reliably relieved with NSAIDS (motrin, etc.). The foot is not a common area and it is usually seen in the 10-20 year old range, but I have seen it in kids younger than 10. It usually resoves on its own in a couple of years but occasionally requires a procedure to remove it or a radiofrequency ablation in cases where the symptoms are intolerable. They are frequently visible on xrays but occasionally a CT is required to see them in smaller bones. Just a thought...
Old 9th November 2009, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Im 16 years old, and ive had these "foot pains" since i was about 4 or 5. Its the top of my foot, just above my arch. It is INCREDIBLE pain and it usually keeps me up at night. All I've been able to do is put a hot water bottle on them and take 800 mg of tylenol and wait for the pain to subside. I would really love to know what the condition is.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Night-time foot pain in children

I just made a doctor's appointment because my 3 year old has been complaining of foot pain and am so glad to have found this forum. Last night my son woke up screaming about his foot pain and wanted me to rub it for him. We got no sleep and my husband and I have been worried about this condition. It is so strange that this pain is only at night. Otherwise, he is active, healthy and happy.
Old 10th February 2010, 08:13 PM
Krish

Thanks verybody..it is great forum
My Daughter is 5 year old now and she is complaining about pain in the Feet and Ankle ...same as all above. I shown this to many doctors... they don;t know anything about this. Better I should go to pediatrician....!! I give my daughter Ibrufen and Oil massage..it works for a while..but I am worried about her future...
Old 5th December 2012, 04:38 AM
Unregistered

I have made an appointment for my 8 yr. old daughter as well. She complains constantly that her feet hurt. When I pick her up from school,the first thing she says is "Mommy..my feet hurt" She complains alot of foot pain upon waking too. This is strange to me that a child would be experiencing this type of pain for no apparent reason. My try warm foot soaks,massaging,etc.
She says the pain is mostly in her arches..but the more I look at her feet..I believe she may be flat footed.
I'll keep everyone posted with the results!
Old 28th February 2010, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

My son, four years old, exhibits much of the same symptoms described above - pain occurs in my sons foot, always at night and he wakes up crying. Each time, I've asked the question about the exact location where he is experiencing pain - he always indicates the bridge of his foot. I initially thought he was experiencing a charlie horse, but given that he consistently indicates that he is experiencing pain on the bridge of his foot, I've excluded that possibility. While I also massage his foot, I do not get the sense that this actually helps. I did try putting shoes on his feet one night and this did seem to shorten the episode. Pain usually lasts for 15 minutes or so, during which time he is crying and constantly pushing his feet under the weight of my legs if I'm lying beside him, and he typically has a recurrence in the same night. In my son's case, the episodes are infrequent - probably not even once a month. I'm definitely going to investigate Kohler's disease. Last night, he also said his fingers hurt near the end of an episode, which is the first time he's ever mentioned that... for now I'm assuming that was an embellishment unless I begin to see a pattern emerge. For a while, my husband and I thought he was somehow attributing a bad dream to his feet in order to increase the likelihood that we would stay with him longer. But after questioning him on repeated occurrences, he's very specific about which foot does and does not hurt and where he is experiencing pain. I'm convinced that there is definitely a physiological cause. Thanks so much to all of you for writing!
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

My 4 year old son gets the same foot pain. He wakes up cryin in pain, i really notcied its when he doesnt wear socks to bed, hmmm wierd??
Old 20th July 2010, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

My 2 1/2 yr old son has been waking up sometimes with foot pain and he explains in being cold. It has only happend 3 times now in about a 3 month period. He doesnt complain about pain very often unless its something that hurts him pretty badly so I know its something that needs to be taken seriously. Its always in his right foot. The only thing that tends to help is me messaging it and holding him. He hates to wear socks and shoes he says they hurt his feet does anyone else's kids do that? Maybe that is a clue I dont know. I will be taking him to see his pedi on Friday and maybe I can get a referal to see a podiatrist. Thank you everyone for you help with this thread.
Old 4th August 2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

my 3 yr daughter has had foot pain once or twice a week for about 4months, she never said cold or felt cold, my 13 yr has reynauds so have been looking out for this the only corelation is that it is usually when we run out of orange juice... her favourite (end of shopping week) and she dosnt drink as much, so will be testing the dehydration theory
I can't believe how many children are having this problem
Old 11th September 2010, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

i have four children ranging in age from 21 to 17 months my first child never suffered with this problem but my second who is now 19 did and so does my 5 year old and my 17 month old baby girl, it is heart breaking to see your children in such agonizing pain, as others have said its only at night. my little girls first attack of it was only 4 days ago three days after her MMR has now crossed my mind if this could have something to do with it...
Old 27th September 2010, 05:08 AM
menon

So many parants have complained about the foot pain of their children.I also noticed the same in my daughter. But the doctor just could not explain the reason . Eighter they are not professional or not enough research has gone in to this area. Doctors, please dont mug up the books! Experience the world..If you cannot explain some thing it does not mean it does not exist..
Old 30th September 2010, 02:17 AM
paolaibieta

Unhappy Re: Night-time foot pain in children

OMG!! can't beleive that almost everything I'm reading now is like being home. My 7 year old son has been complaining of his his feet hurting since he learn how to speak. He can't sleep sometimes and cry so much of pain. he said it feels like a line on the bottom of his feet that streches and hurt so much. we rub his feet with mentol hoping that it will help. the Doc always have told me that is part of grown and "Normal". I which I can do something to help my son with his pain. As a mother it really breaks my heart to see my son suffer like this and not know what to do.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

Another one here with a 5 year old with this problem. He has had night terrors for years but last night was able to express that it was his feet that were the problem. He is a very deep sleeper so previously would only wail and cry and thrash around but not be awake enough to talk. Last night he said both feet hurt. He indicated both the ankle and the sole of the feet. I rubbed them and eventually gave him paracetamol and he went back to sleep.

I also thank the man who came and gave us a more detailed explanation of the feeling. It is hard for kids to explain the pain. Despite Footdoc's rude reply we parents appreciate your input.

Footdoc the reason people are getting annoyed is because we are trying to share our experiences here in the hope of seeing some patterns or finding out about things that have helped others. Snarky comments about being uninformed and non medical advice are not helpful. Your information has been helpful and all of us I'm sure will be looking into the conditions you mentioned, the attitude we could do without.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

My 9 year old daughter has also begun complaining of severe foot/ankle pain at night. It has happened about half the nights for the last 2 weeks. She can't walk on it and the ankle is very hot to the touch, unlike the rest of her foot and leg. It gets better with Motrin but it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Are your kids feet or ankles feverish when they are in pain?
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Im from Australia and my Daughter has the same symptons that others are describing, I took her to the Pedi who told me she has " Benign Hypermobiltity Syndrome". worth Looking into...
Old 20th November 2010, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Hi. my son is 3 1/2 and also has the foot pain. we have been to the paed , then the physio , then an orthopedic surgeon , who said it was growing pains. can this be diagnosed without any x trays being done? He is sore at night and mostly just the one foot ?
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

Arrow Re: Night-time foot pain in children

Could these night time foot pains not be muscle cramps? (charlie horse?)
Old 30th December 2010, 03:50 AM
Unregistered

My son now 5 has been experiencing foot pain for over two years. At first it was at night then it would occur during the day. I am a pediatric physical therapist and did not observe any musculoskeltal abnormalities and he appeared to have a normal gait. I brought him to a friend who is an orthopedist who did x-ray. He also felt that he did not see any glaring abnormalities but recommended orthotics since he was symptomatic with feet pain. The orthotics helped alittle, however the pain continues intermittently. We did get larger orthotics when the pain starting becoming more prevalent, however did not notice a reduction. The pain seems cyclic in nature. When he gets it it last four or five days and it occurs every six weeks. We are seeing another pediatric orthopedist for a second opionion, I will ask about Kohlers. Can you diagnosis this with just an x-ray? I would appreciate it if the "Foot Doctor" could guide me on question to ask or feedback to provide the physician. My son also has a VSD and is monitored by a cardiologist but is asymptomatic, could it be circulatory?
Old 30th December 2010, 05:15 AM
Unregistered

I have had foot pains for as long as I can remember well before being able to swallow ibuprophen, I am now 21 and I still have the same foot pains in my left foot. I went to the doctor once when I was little and they just disregarded it but its still there. The pain is more in the toe joint and now my whole leg hurts when it acts up as well as my hip. I am dying to know what it is the pain can get really bad if I do not catch it early. Im thinking of going back to the doctor.
Old 1st January 2011, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

i too had sore feet as a child and now as an adult again. all times were due to poor diet. i/mum found by eating lots of vegetables with iron and absolutely no junk food (sorry kiddies :-) within afew days it went away. i am now having great sleeps again. i hope this helps. good luck all!
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Our 7 year old grandson has these bouts with foot pain. He says they come from the top of the feet. Being very active, and hockey being his favorite sport, we tried to link these episodes to an after hockey practice pain, but it is not. It comes and goes, sometimes we go for a couple of months before another painful episode. It always comes at night. I was interested also in many of these posts that mention night terrors, because he too suffers from these when he is overtired. We withdrew him from activities every day after school and this seems to have stopped the terrors. But with so many mentioning the night terrors and foot pain at night, you wonder if somehow they are related.
Old 4th January 2011, 01:01 AM
Unregistered

My daughter is 4 now and has had these horrible "night foot pains" since she was 1.5 yrs old. No! they are not growing pains! I too went to doctors with no solutions. Then I had my naturopath take a look and she put her on some supplements and clean diet. The gluten free, dairy free diet didn't last too long ( I should have been stricter). She still ate healthy though. The mystery for me was why does this pain come 98% of the time at night. Ok, so she explained it to me, I thought she was nuts but gave my daughter what she recommended...all except one thing. It was something I had to order and just kept forgetting. This is how she explained it to me. Her body isn't digesting her food properly and so it ferments/rots and creates gasses that only at night start moving and pushing against (I forget exactly what) something that triggers to the bottom of feet. I'm sorry I'm butching this. So I finally ordered the DIGESTIVE ENZYME (she recommended some special kind, but you can find it at any whole food store). So I've been giving her the supplements and the digestive enzymes but ever since the enzymes have gotten in to her system.....guess what? THE PAIN HAS COMPLETELY STOPPED!!!!! I mean nothing for more than 2 months. The other supplements include Vitamin C, Magnesium, Calcium, Adrenal support, Iodine, probiotics, codliver oil, flax oil and black walnut husk extract (to kill parasites that aren't allowing her body to properly absorb calcium). Everything minus the digestive enzymes were also helping but she would still get pains about 2-3 times a month. When I added the digestive enzymes the pain stopped. Just a word of caution: any supplements you use, make sure they are pure and no fillers and from a very reputable company (one that is more health oriented and NOT profit driven). Make sure you see a naturopath or herbalist specialist to guide you. As far as Vitamin D goes (someone mentioned it above) yes it is very important to have enough of it in the body. But PLEASE! only get it from fish/ cod liver. All other synthetic or plant/fungus source is very toxic especially in large doses like you hear now that it has become popular. I've had 2 friends that bought Vit. D from Cosco (some synthetic form) and have become horrible sick from it. It took them almost 2 weeks to detoxify there bodies of it. Cod Liver oil is best source for Vit. D but is very expensive to try to get large doses from so that's why they come up with the cheaper synthetic source. I hope this helps someone's child get relief from these horrible pains. I'm very thankful to the Lord for leading me down this path to find a solution.
Old 11th March 2011, 06:16 AM
Unregistered

Arrow Re: Night-time foot pain in children

My 3 year old daughter has been complaining of this as well. She did say the pain is "inside her feet." I can't help but think about how often she sits in chairs on her knees. This evening during dinner she said they were hurting and said it was because of the way she was sitting on them. This position puts pressure on the arches of her feet and this Kohlers disease sounds like a circulation restriction... Could her need to sit up taller (refusing to use the booster)... and in turn sitting on her knees be prolonging her healing? I just can't help but thing of all the little people out there who are sitting on there knees... and after reading about so many complaints... I am going to be diligent about having her sit on her "Heiny"... I will post again if this seems to help.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:26 AM
Unregistered

My five-year old daughter has been suffering from the same problem since she was 2 or 3. My wife and I believe it has to do with calcium defeciency (or as some pointed out, Vitamin D deficiency, which could cause calcium deficiency). My wife used to have cramps in her legs and feet when she was pregnant because of calcium deficiency, and she often had to drink one liter of milk per day. Children need a lot of calcium when they grow, and when they have cramps in their feet, they would call it pain and probably would not use "cramp" to describe it.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:42 AM
cagirlintexas

Does anyone's child have other symtoms such as..

Itching
stomach pain
Heart murmur
double jointed

Also as a baby my son would of been considered low tone