1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Subungual exostosis and other related pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi all,

I have a Subungual Exostosis on the right side of my left big toe which I have seen a Podiatric Consultant about and will be having it operated on at the end of June (our agreement due to my circumstances). The exostosis itself caused me pain initially but doesn't anymore as the majority of it is next to the nail apart from a small portion which is under the nail. Initially the nail was still able to grow over it however at this point I think the exostosis has got so big (it's now as long as the entire length of my nail) that the nail has stopped being able to grow on that side and I'm now feeling some pain in the proximal nail fold on the side of the toe that the exostosis is on. It feels quite tender to touch and there almost feels like there's a bump or a ridge there. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is it because my nail is still trying to grow but can't push through due to the exostosis? Is there anything I can do or should I speak to my consultant about it on Monday?

Many thanks