1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Fungal nail disease

Discussion in 'Video Clips' started by Admin, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In my opinion, this is total and unnecessary poppycock. There have been many, many unfulfilled promises of cures of mycotic nails with topical meds. The oral/systemic anti-fungal medications, on the other hand, are extremely successful in eliminating actual fungus of the nails with rarely a recurrence, and without any specialized hygienic care as advocated here. It is true that the patient's liver must be monitored for untoward effect, but many medications taken both transiently and chronically for many years, if not permanently, are potentially hazardous to the liver and sometimes other vital organs of the body, while the oral anti-fungals are taken for only a relatively short period of time. I have personally never had a patient under my care who has wound up with liver damage from taking these meds, but I always monitor them, just as a physician should monitor his patient's liver when prescribing statins for hyper-cholesterol problems. This doctor seems more intent on "selling" his regimen, replete with other ancillary products that he deems necessary for success. I was particularly off-put by his assertion that the common insole that he was selling was an "orthotic" insole. The use of such trigger language is often a red flag for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008