1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Large Lump on outside of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kenickey, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kenickey

kenickey New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My husband has a large lump on the outside of booth feet, but his right foot is excessively larger than the left. The lump is right in the middle it protrudes out and rubs in his shoes and it is also swollen on the bottom as well. It has now become painful, he poked a large needle in it about 6-9 months ago. He said alot of colored fluid and blood came out. However, it is back and probably even somewhat larger. He hates to go to any Dr., I'm trying to search for answers to help support my plea for him to get medical assistance. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. jbarnes

jbarnes Guest

My daughter (10) has a lump/bump on side of both her feet? I just noticed tonight and she says they've always been there? I don't think so... She says they don't hurt but they sure don't look like they should be there? Does anyone know what this is? It's funny, we just went to her doctor today for her ears and if I'd seen these bumps before now, I certainly would have had the doctor take a look at them...
    Thanks for any help

3. buniondeformity

buniondeformity New Member

Hi jbarnes,

My girlfriend has a bunion on both of her feet. They are located on the inside of the foot at the base of the big toe.

A bunion is a painful lump that forms at the base of the big toe and the big toe will lean towards the other toes of the foot slightly in mild (positional bunion) cases and drastically in severe (structural bunion).

Bunions are most commonly inherited, so I have to ask: Does anyone related to you and your daughter have a history of bunions?

Bunions will slowly worsen over time, but the worsening can be significantly expedited if improperly fitting shoes are worn. When dealing with bunions, you will want to seek out shoes with enough room horizontally and vertically, as well as providing the proper amount of arch support (based on the natural arch of the foot).

I just found some information on bunions in children from 'Children's Hospital Boston', from doing a Google search for 'bunions in children' (it was the first result):

I hope this information was helpful. If your daughter does indeed have bunions, bunion treatment can slow the worsening of bunions without surgery. If your daughter has bunions, but doesn't feel bunion pain now, the pain might be more apparent as she ages to 15 years old and beyond.

4. buniondeformity

buniondeformity New Member

kenickey,

If the bumps are on the outside of the foot at the little toe joint, it might be a 'bunnionette' (also known as a 'Taylor's Bunion).

I would recommend seeing a doctor to confirm what it is, but you can relieve bunion pain with properly fitting shoes, orthotics (such as arch supports, bunion splints, and bunion pads).

You can also recommend your husband soaks his feet in a bowl of warm water and Epsom salts. Epsom salts reduce inflammation and swelling. You might also massage the bunions, I know my girlfriend loves it when I rub her feet. You can also apply a heating pad, or even a bag of ice wrapped with a towel.

Furthermore, if you find your husband inside your home wearing shoes for an extended period of time without needing to have his shoes on, suggest he kick off his shoes.

I hope this helps!