1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

calcaneal osteotomy

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 25, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a calcaneal osteotomy done almost 3 weeks ago. I had a plaster cast when I woke up and had it for 7 days. I was then moved into a fiberglass cast (what a difference). I had it changed today after 2 weeks and will again in another 2 weeks. This is what I am looking like so far. I am really pleased with the pain level and have pretty much been off meds after the first week, at least the really strong pain meds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Are the screws supposed to be protruding? I had flat foot reconstruction and the screws were not visible. I thought that a screw was backing out and the doctor had me come to the hospital immediately. It turned out that everything was ok but had the screw started to protrude he would have had me back in the or that night because he said that a screw sticking out could be a potential vehicle for infection. Make sure that your doctor's protocol involves the screw protruding

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am not the original poster, but those are not screws, they are removable pins.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Correct, my surgeon refers to them as pins and yes they are supposed to stick out. They will be removed in another 6 weeks or so if the bone appears healed enough (at the 9-10 week mark). I intially had a tylenol muscle and spams med, hydromorphone and naproxen but that was all regularly for the first week then as needed. I still have hydromorphone left over as I don't feel I need it. I wiggle my toes as often as possible as per my surgeons direction and keep it elevated as much as possible. For what I had anticipated in my mind, the pain is really much less than I expected. The worst of the pain is what I experienced in the recovery room and they had to up the pain meds twice before I felt any relief and what relief I had seemed short term before I needed some more. I had surgery at 1pm and was home by 8pm but was wired and I think I only slept about 2 hours the first night, not because of pain but just because I couldn't sleep. I have settled in nicely and have been on crutches many times so that is not an issue. I do have a wheel chair for times I go out and that was my suregon's advice because I will be non weight bearing until the pins come out. My incisions are good and I actually look forward to cast changes as it's nice to let my leg breathe and lotion it. I go for x-rays next cast change at the 6 week mark.