1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Top of foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Tim, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Left foot- top.
    I have pain in the muscular portion of the top left part of my foot. I feel it most when I am flexing my foot, such as when I put on my left shoes. It hurts to walk on but gradually goes away with use. If I point my foot straight down and turn my foot in I feel the pain in the muscle/tendon along the outyside of my left foot. I can't find any info on such pain anywhere on-line. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The only portion of the top of the foot which could be said to be muscular is the belly of the extensor digitorum brevis located within the area of the sinus tarsi. Perhaps this is what you are describing, but without an examination, it is only a guess. It is not uncommon to strain this small muscle by both overt and subtle trauma and through pathologic biomechanics. As always, a diagnosis as to the precipitating cause is preferable. Most cases respond to rest and supportive treatment, and sometimes the use of anti-inflammatories, but get an actual diagnosis by hands-on examination before instituting treatment.

3. I am inquiring about soft corns that appear on the outer joint area of the 3 center toes, that seem impossible to remove. They appear as circles.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If indeed what you have are soft corns, they are caused by apposition of bony prominence on adjacent toes. This can be treat either with interdigital padding or by removal of of of the opposing prominences. I do not advise acid corn pads, drops or creams unless under professional supervision, as the acid in combination with sweat can produce a potent ulcerative agent.

But you need an actual diagnosis, not an assumption, before instituting treatment. See a good podiatrist.

5. Tim

Tim Guest

Thanks.

I looked up your references in my Gray's Anat.

It looks as though the issue is either the outside border of the Flexor brevis digitorum, the Abductor minimi digiti, or the flexor brevis minimi digiti. The pain I feel corresponds to this location (outside third of the top of the foot). I'll try some anti-inflamm and will try to minimize my use of it for a bit and see what happens. I'm very active and as you said probably strained it in some way. I've also been having recent left knee problems, which may have caused a pathologic biomechanic issue as you've mentioned.

Thank you much. I appreciate your help.