1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lower leg pain, under-pronation, high arches

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by archie, Feb 16, 2009.

1. archie

archie New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi there,
    I was wandering if someone can point me in the right direction, maybe my various problems are less/more serious than I thought.

I'm a male runner, aged 36, height 5 11" weighing about 80 kilos, have been running to some degree for 10 years, the last 3 or so I would say that I have been getting much more serious, this would also coincide with my various problems.

I have been getting a pain on the outside of my lower left leg, the pain seems to run horizontal just above my ankle (there would appear to be a very small bulge in that area as well) I have also been getting blisters on the bottom of this foot, just behind the big toe, at the end of my arch.

I have also been getting a niggle in my right Achilles, the worst this have ever been is uncomfortable, couldn't call it painful, does seem to be worst after running, does seem to go off if I stretch well, it does seem to get more noticeable at about 5-6 in the evening, I'm guessing that blood is pooling and therefore causing some inflammation? there is no tenderness when touching it.
    I have been getting a really quite painful back above my right backside.

I bought some insoles from Boots (a pharmacy) that have a much higher arch support, these have completely cured the blisters and also my back pain, stopped them as if I flicked a switch, they also seemed to stop the pain across the outside of my lower left leg, didn't really help with my Achilles discomfort.

I have been told that I have high arches, (I have quite wide feet also) so I guess that these problems are related to my possible underpronation, I'm currently wearing ASICS gel nimbus 9.

So.. on to the meat of my question, as the pain in lower left leg seems to of come back, and my Achilles seems to be getting more painful

Are these kind of problems almost inevitable, if you have high arches?
    Even with the best technique and foot strike in the world, if you have high arches you are going to underpronate, and therefore have some problems ?
    Can you learn to not underpronate ?

I'm willing to visit a Podiatrist to get my running looked at, last time I went it was very valuable, I know they will recommend an orthopedic insert, which I cannot afford.

I could go on for ever, so many questions!! I find this such an interesting field, perhaps its best if I go off and get a Podiatry degree !

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As I have frequently pointed out, this and forums such as this are not appropriate venues for making most diagnoses, but I can discuss in general terms some issues commonly related to excessively high arches. Problems inherent in this foot type are some of the more difficult to effectively treat. It is true that most high arched sufferers tend to over-supinate at the subtalar joint, and thus do not sufficiently pronate as required at specific periods during the gait cycle. That being said, running is not simply fast walking and the biomechanics are not the same. But adequate pronation of the subtalar joint is still necessary to effectively unlock the tarso-metatarsal articulations which allows for adaptation to an uneven walking or running surface prior to the pushoff phase. Lack of this has many potentially detrimental effects both for the feet and which may transmit up the lower extremity and into the spine. You might have to face the reality that running may not be a good activity for you. But you need an actual diagnosis and treatment plan rather than just the often knee-jerk orthotic recommendation.

3. archie

archie New Member

Thanks a lot for the response, I have booked myself into see a Podiatrist this week, so will see what he says.

I think my shoes are coming to the end of their life, which is why these problems have flared up.
    I almost getting used to the fact that I may have to stop, its a good way to keep my weight down, but if I do it I want to do it well, without have to ice my legs so damn much.