1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Foot pain from injury

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    About a month ago, I was playing in a volleyball game and cross stepped, which I ended up rolling my ankle or something. Ever since, the top of the middle section of my foot has been hurting whenever I lean weight on to the ball of my foot. Doing things like sprints, jumping, and sometimes even walking (I usually try to walk on my heel and keep weight off the ball of my foot) makes it hurt.

http://www.myfootshop.com/images/anatomy/med_foot_mod_labeled_topography.jpg
    On that image, it hurts where the top of #9 is.

There's no swelling or bruising, and there never was at the time when the injury happened. It's just been hurting whenever I put weight on it.

I've been icing it on and off, and wearing an ACE bandage over it from time to time. I had a doctors appointment scheduled a couple of days ago but had to cancel it due to other things that came up. Should I reschedule the appointment? And what will the doctor do for it that I already haven't?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The area you have indicated on the diagram is the Lisfranc's joint area. I am not necessarily lead to believe that you have a Lisfranc injury, but that is a possibility. In any event, your less than definitive description of your injury ("I ended up rolling my ankle or something.") does not lend itself to any specific conclusions, but I have to assume that, baring fracture, which is the less likely diagnosis, you likely have sprained some ligaments and perhaps have also sustained some tendon injury and/or possibly a strain of the short extensor muscles to the toes. Your self-treatment is, of course supportive, and is generally appropriate for a ligament strain as well as many other soft-tissue injuries. But what a doctor will be able to do depends on and evaluation and the definitive diagnosis which should be a part of his care and which obviously precedes any treatment. You need at least that diagnosis, lest something important which might be time sensitive for resolution be missed. It would have been far more advisable to have consulted a doctor immediately after the injury rather than a month later, but I would certainly advise your rescheduling your appointment and protecting your foot from futher injury at least until it is evaluated.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Okay, thanks. I didn't really remember what went on when the injury happened. I remember something rolled- I thought it was my ankle, my coach thought it was my foot, so I wasn't quite sure of which it was. I rescheduled my appointment for later on this week.