1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken fifth metartarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by john111, Oct 21, 2013.

1. john111

john111 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi .. I broke my fifth metatarsal on the 9th of this month ..I rolled my right foot and the tendon pulled a piece of bone of the metatarsal I think its called a avulution fracture it was put in a cast and its doing my head in as its chaffing my ankle and itching like mad .. A couple of questions .. Is Aircast walker ps short the same as a cast as I would like one if they are to cast it on Friday ..I'll buy it myself .. Also when will I be able to drive ..? the swelling as gone and the bruising more or less as gone ... many thanks .. :)

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Super Moderator

An Aircast type device is not usually as restrictive for these types of fracture, so at this stage its probably not an option.

3. john111

john111 New Member

Thank you .. :)

4. TOG565

TOG565 New Member

John,

I broke mine on the 5th. Im in a short leg cast and due to have swelling issues i went back and they redid it. The cast tech said he would do a cast like he does for diabetic patients. Since then its been quite comfortable actually. I wouldnt recommend it but ive been driving since day 2 cause i had no choice. Learn to brKe with your left. Takes practice but atleast im able to come and go. This injury sucks!!!

5. TOG565

TOG565 New Member

Anyone know if you can reinjure the jones fracture in a cast without falling or hitting it? I have woken up in the middle of the night to my foot shaking uncontrollably a few times, to cramps occasionally in my calf, amd just had a cruch slide out on my right side from a kids toy on the floor. I caught myself on my cruch and my foot did not hit anything but, I felt an immediate tightness on the top of my injured foot followed by some numbness. Anyone have such a thing?

6. john111

john111 New Member

Hi .. Thanks for responding ..It sure does .. I seem to have got away with it lucky I broke it on the 9th and it seems fine I have been wearing an air boot but I can put weight on it and the swelling is almost gone.. I have a stick shift so I cant use the left foot for breaking as I have to depress the clutch ..I'm going to try driving next weekend .. I do hope you're foot heals well .. seems like it can heal in 3-4 weeks .. many thanks ..

7. john111

john111 New Member

I banged mine a few day ago and it started hurting ..It went away in a couple of days ..Stay off it for a few days and you should be ok to walk on it a little ..walk on you're heel and keep you're foot as stiff .. hope you're foot heals fast for you .. mine seems to have done in about 3 weeks i'm still using crutches and not putting too much weight on it ..I even borrowed a wheelchair to go to the pub last night ..just a chance after a few beers I was unsteady ... you'll be fine in a few days .. :)

8. TOG565

TOG565 New Member

Hi. Glad to hear you are doing well. I suffered the dreaded jones fracture so it looks like its gonna be awhile for me. Seeing a podiatrist today for a second opinion just to ensure he agrees with the cast approach as decided by my ortho. Hoping to be back to work by january 1st full duty. I worry every time I feel a pull or tightness in the foot because I know with muscle/tendons always pulling on the 5th it can easily interupt a jones from healing.

9. john111

john111 New Member

Hi .. yeah the tendon can pull it away when its healing .. I haven't really tested it so far ..I'm hoping to give it another week and test drive it a bit .. Take care and keep it rested it'll soon get better .. :)

10. TOG565

TOG565 New Member

Thanks for the uptalk. I'm freakin put with this injury due to having kids and losing income until I can get back to work. I hate hearing so many negative replies about this injury. In fact, I havent heard anything positive at all. Hoping its because people who didnt habe an issue didnt bother typing. At a different doctors office now for a second opinion. Thanks again.