1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal Shaft Fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by RebekkahRN, Apr 27, 2012.

1. RebekkahRN

RebekkahRN New Member

Hello All,

I'm new here and wanted to share my story and get any advice if possible. 5.5wks ago I was biking in California and went to get off my bike, my knees went out, and I fell off to my right side, rolling my right foot I assume. I went to the ER and ortho dr 2 days later and found out I have a 5th metatarsal shaft fracture. I had a lot of swelling and bruising over the top of my foot back to my ankle and under my foot as well.

My ortho dr (specializing in foot injuries) put me in a thick sole ortho shoe and I had to use crutches and be non weight bearing for 4 weeks. At my 4th week apt I received another xray and my dr said he saw signs of growth and healing. He told me I can start to bear weight and use crutches only as needed and continue with the ortho shoe for another 2wks and then switch to a thick soled sneaker.

It's been 1.5wks after my 4wk apt and I am trying to bear weight on my foot. I think I am being more cautious and nervous more than anything. I still am putting the majority of the weight on my heel and inside of my foot, which has caused my heel to hurt a bit.

My biggest concern is causing more injury to the fracture or other areas of the foot (ie, heel). Is this possible? I am using my crutches frequently to help me properly plant my foot and try walking on it as normally as I can. I've noticed some soreness in my foot with the weight bearing but I assume that is normal. My dr told me to back off if it became painful.

I am a nurse and will be out of work for 8wks and really need to get back to my job!!! I'm trying to take it easy as best as I can to promote healing, I just feel like I am being too cautious??? Help!!!