1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Post op fusion pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

I recently had my left big toe fused for the 2nd time, as the screws worked loose on the first one, and it went on to a non union.

For the 2nd one I have 5 screws and a plate holding the fusion in place, and while i am not suffering much pain in the toe, I am having a lot of pain on my instep - has anyone else suffered this, or any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Especially as you had experienced complications which resulted in failure of the initial procedure, I would suggest that you are likely asking for more trouble if you think that information gleaned in this manner is something that would or should either move you to appropriate action or should allay your fears. Wouldn't it make far greater sense, instead of soliciting lay experience regarding this or even professional comment from doctors who have no real knowledge of the specifics of your surgery, to discuss your complaint with the surgeon who recently actually performed the procedure? If you think this advice is not doing you a service, then think again.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. Glenn

Glenn Guest

Hi,
    I was interested to hear of your post op comments as I am new to this site. I live in Melbourne Australia, and went to see a foot & ankle surgeon for the first time at the end of 2010 after 2-3 years of severe pain in the metatasal joint of my arthritic large toe caused from 13 years of competition jodo. I ended up having the joint fused together with a steel plate and eight screws holding the joint together (the "Gold option ha ha"). That operation was on February 2012. I then had the hardware removed in a second operation in June 2012 to help get rid of a staph bone infection. I was then put on heavy duty anti- biotics for 6 months and am finally off them now...thank god, as they were seriously effecting my eye sight among other numerous side effects. (Flufloxacillin) bad...bad stuff!
    The X rays taken to date show that the bones have fused OK but I am still dealing with daily pain caused from the large toe that is now bending only at the first joint and also from the swelling in all toes and under the base of my foot. I bought some BMT rocker shoes after talking to an orthotist, and now wear them periodically to take the stress away from the toe as they allow you to walk freely without having to push off as you would in conventional shoes. They do take a bit of getting used to, but worth the effort as they also work out your core, butt and calf muscles while your walking too.
    The comments I read about the docs in the USA are similar to my experience here in Oz, so you sure arent alone in your dissapointment of the medical proffession. I dispair at the thought of having to put up with the constant pain, but have no choice but to keep positive that I have made the right decision based on the best medical advise, and that things will improve eventually.
    Regards from Oz and keep your chins and toes up mate !!