1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Saddle Bone

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Ohiogal, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ohiogal

Ohiogal New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I have a question, I've been looking for answers for about two years now. My right foot has an itch on the bottom, it's very annoying. I can't see anything there and it has itched for two-years now. The saddle bone is deformed as well and is painful most of the time. In addition, I'm starting to have problems flexing my my big toe. Although I can flex it, I have to concentrate in order to do so. Moreover, the calf muscle in the same leg, (right) have been cramping, (like I'm getting a charlie horse), for about the same length of time. The cramping has moved up behind my knee and now just slightly behind above the back of my knee. I'm wondering could all of this be connected, or are they separate issues? I've been putting off going to the doctor, because I keep thinking that they will not know what the heck is wrong. I know, silly. But, tonight I found this forum and seen that the "Foot Dr" was a very wise individual who may be able to shed some light on this matter.

Thanks for your time and consideration in answering my question.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Generally, I would consider that there is no particular reason to suspect that the itch, the saddle bone deformity and the cramping of the calf muscle are connected. But whether or not they are connect is irrelevant to whether or not you should see a doctor for a hands-on evaluation to determine what is causing these complaints and what to do for them. The saddle bone deformity is most effectively treated surgically, but might also be treated palliatively with padding and shoe selection.

3. Ohiogal

Ohiogal New Member

Thanks for your quick reply FootDoc. After I wrote this, I did two things. One, I made and appt to see my family Dr. and will be going today. (small town). And two, I read more questions on this forum. I quickly noted that many, many individuals have that "itch" on the bottom of their foot. I also noted that your reply was the same each time. Basically, there is no "clear" answer, however you feel it may be "nerve" related. I tend to agree with you and have thought that about my own itch for a very long time. For two reasons, first I am a wood carver, the itch (I think) started after I dropped my carving knife and it landed in the top of my foot. The second is, I've have three back surgeries, the last being a spinal fusion about the same time. However, I can't help but wonder if there is something pressing on the nerve in my foot as well. I will soon find out and let you know.

As for the leg cramping, months before dropping the carving knife in my foot, I stabbed my right leg while carving as well. I once had my foot and leg checked out and the Xray's were negative. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I have a blood clot in my leg? Again, will hopefully find and soon and will report back and at least let you know the outcome.

The saddle bone deformity, It's painful, my foot hurts all the time. I work at home so I rarely wear shoes and when I do, I can tell my right foot is larger than the left. I have very, very high arches so that makes matters worse. Should it come to having surgery to correct it, I will do it... I've had 18 surgeries in my lifetime so one more will not kill me. UGH!

Anyway, you are doing a great deed here. If I could send you a Christmas gift, I sure would. I'll keep you posted.

Merry Christmas Doc!
    OhioGal

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Thank you for your kind words. I DO have a few comments on your reply.

1. Though a family doctor might be your only choice, rarely are most GP's adequately knowledgeable in either the diagnosis or treatment of most of the complaints you've expressed.

2. The most common cause of itching is some sort of skin irritation, problem, allergy or reaction. But when there is no local manifestation, it is generally nerve mediated, although cures may be few and far between.

3. Injury to the top of the foot would not likely cause adverse effect to nerves supplying the plantar.

4. Having x-rays other than for the saddle bone deformity was likely a waste of time and money.

5. A saddle bone deformity is not generally painful unless one's shoe presses on it. A high-arched foot frequently presents shoe fitting problems in the area normally associated with a saddle bone deformity whether or not such a bone deformity exists, and that fact might mitigate the success of surgery.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  5. Ohiogal

Ohiogal New Member

Hi Doc,

Sorry it took so long to get back here and let you know my diagnosis. It seems that I have two bone spurs on the top of my foot. He suggested surgery for the larger one. I haven't committed to any surgery at this point. The other problem causing the rest of my pain is mortons neuroma. He said he believes that is what is causing the itch on the bottom of my foot as well. He talked about surgery, and than offered corticosteroid injections. He said he likes to do that three times and then if there is still no improvement, he recommends surgery. OUCH, that's all I could say. Those stinking shots HURT! And I have to get two more of those. UGH! Well, I go back in two weeks, at that time I will give him my decision on the surgery for the bone spur. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I know I did.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Thank you for the update.

7. Ohiogal

Ohiogal New Member

Hi Doc,

I have a question for you again. Since my recent visit to the podiatrist, and the corticosteroid injection he gave me; my foot has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. Is this normal? More precisely, my foot pain and escalated. It's more bothersome than it was, or has been before the shot and the probing. It hurts more to walk and stand on my foot than it did. Just wondering if this is typical of Morton's neuroma and the injections. I have another appointment next week, but wanted to get your opinion first. Tks Doc and have a great day.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Of COURSE it is not NORMAL to be treated by a podiatrist for a Morton's neuroma and immediately get worse. But it is certainly possible. Among the cause MIGHT be:
    1. the diagnosis was wrong
    2. the needle hit the nerve
    3. fluid pressure from the injection placed additional irritation of the nerve
    4. the injection simply did not work and the symptoms progressed
    5. you experienced a know complication termed a post-corticosteroid flare up
    or 6. none of the above
    But why you would choose to place this post under the saddle bone thread I have no clue.

9. Ohiogal

Ohiogal New Member

Thank you. Sorry about putting the post in the wrong place. Since I started this thread when I first came here, and we've been communicating here about my foot. I thought I should continue to keep the history in once place in the event you wanted, or need to refer to it. Have a great day.