1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Skin under toes feels stiff

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The skin under my toes feels as if it has lost elasticity and my toes feels stiff all the time. I have seen both a podiatrist and a dermatologist but to no avail. Can anyone figure out what the problem could be? Thanks.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

When you say, "to no avail," do you mean that both doctors threw up their hands and told you that they had no idea why, or were they simply unable to solve your problem to your satisfaction?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes, the podiatrist prescribed some ointment (arthrofab which no pharmacy could supply) and the dermatologist told me to go back to the podiatrist!

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I've never heard of Arthrofab, if you've spelled it correctly, but wouldn't it have been sensible not to have left the podiatrist's office without asking what your diagnosis was for which he prescribed the ointment and then calling him/her to find out how to purchase whatever it was that was prescribed?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

In fact I did just that. He said it was simply a circulation problem due to old age. The ointment that he initially prescribed has infact been taken off the market and when I informed him of this, he gave me some vitamin B tablets which I have been taking for quite some time now but to no avail. I telephoned him this morning and now he says I need to see a neurologist! It's costing me an absolute fortune in consulting fees, being shunted from one doctor to another, but surely there must an explanation as regards my problem.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Ok . . Having nothing really to go on, I cannot come up with either a diagnosis or a treatment for your complaint. But for you and others who get run-arounds and non-answers from their doctors, the way to deal with this, in my opinion, is first to get the idea out of your head that the doctor is doing you a favor by taking your money. You are employing the doctor, and he/she is beholding to you, not you to him/her. You deserve a clear answer, even if it's, "I don't know," which is a perfectly good one on those occasions when he/she doesn't. But when a doctor gives you an answer which you do not completely understand, demand a clarification in language which you can understand. In other words, assert your position as the employer and not one who pays and offers thanks for crumbs. There's no need to be nasty or abusive . . just be assertive.