1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Severe pain in my foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by thawver, Oct 16, 2008.

1. thawver

thawver New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am 54 years old and I am always running and staying busy. I don't find too much time to sit. For the past 6 months or so I have some severe pain on the outer middle part of my right foot. There is a bone there and mine is so tender to touch and when I rub it, there is severe burning pain. My left foot and ankle have hardware in it from a former injury. I will have some pain in this foot but it's from the hardware mostly. I have a plate on my outer part of my left ankle and foot, a pin in the foot, and two long screws in the inside of my left ankle bone. I don't know if this might be a cause of why I might have the pain so severe in the bone of my right foot, maybe I put more weight on that foot or something. I just wonder if you might know the cause of this pain. Thank you!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Simply a guess, but you might well be speaking of the protrusion of bone know as the styloid process of the base (tuborosity) of the 5th metatarsal. This is an area that is not uncommonly irritated by both over and undersized shoes, especially if there is not much fatty padding in the foot, and also is subject to injury through inversion trauma to the foot, as well as inversion sprains of the ankle. Also, the sural nerve courses in the general area which I suspect, and irritation of that nerve might be responsible for the burning sensations. It is, of course, impossible for me to delineate any precise injury to the bone or other tissues, if, in fact, I have guessed the correct location. But I would have to wonder why anyone would not have already seen a doctor regarding a condition which has presented severe burning pain for 6 months. I would think that at least a visit to obtain a diagnosis and proposed treatment plan would be in your best interest, especially if you would like some general feedback from Internet forums.