1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Poosible fracture of foot four months ago. Extremely bad even now

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Krishna, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Krishna

Krishna New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Please excuse me for posting this long. I am suffering from a 4 month old injury and nothing seems to help. I do not know what to do now.
    The doc said something like feet hurting for life if not taken care of. I am REALLY really scared.

This began 5th of april. My upper foot (mid top part) hit a thick flat iron bar while walking ( fast). It hurt very bad and got swollen a lot. I could walk but it was very painful and shoes hurt. The foot was all black starting from the top part to the part below my smallest toes. There was also a round bump / ball sort of thing near the top portion between my big and second toes.

I saw a doctor the next evening. The xrays did not show a fracture so the doctor asked me to do an ice pack and give it rest. He prescribed some anti inflammatory analgesic drugs for 5 days but I am not sure if i completed the course :( but applied some pain relieving creams/ balms. The next day I traveled abroad for 3 months.

The swelling and blackness reduced so i thought it is healing and kept walking at least 1.5 to 2 Kms a day to work.

After 4 weeks my foot was hell. it hurt every where and it began hurting terribly even when i was i lay in bed. i could not set my foot on ground for moment. i tried ice pack a couple of times, pain balms, oral painkillers, elastic crepe bandage.

It was after the 5th week of the injury that I saw a doc. The xray did not show a fracture. but he strictly advised me to do ice packs and give the foot complete rest for at least a week "since the tissues seem to be badly damaged and not healing".
    I was all by myself in a foreign place and could not give myself that rest. tried walking lesser. with time it improved slightly but it used to hurt all day. and by now the pain was in my entire foot, sides of foot were very bad, ankle, and calf. it hurt badly under the foot, the flat-ish place below the toes. it felt (and feels) like i am dragging a can of lead with me all day.

but the 'not a fracture' thing :( .. in a way made me a bit careless. i walked and for at least 10 days in those 3 months i walked for 10 kms/ day or more :(

When i came back to my country i saw the doctor i had seen the first time. This time he said - it must have been "small fractures of the joint which did not show up in any of the XRays" . He said the pain has become chronic now. So he gave me a walking cast for three weeks and advised foot elevation.

The cast came off on 3rd of August. And I was completely unable to set foot on ground. people told me it happens after a cast. i have been wearing only sport shoes ( with loose laces) since then. the foot is learning to bear weight again and i am able to walk better.i have done contrast bath for 3-4 days too. i feel better when i do it but i am not sure if the effect is long term. i has a lot of nimesulide, paracetamol, ibuprofen all this while.

And Yet - the top of my foot is sore and looks so different from my other foot - like swollen. it hurts if pressed the slightest. the leg feels heavy and tense all the time, i elevate for a couple of hours for relief.

I don't know what to do now. All advice, suggestion is welcome.
    just want to add that my pain threshold is pretty high. the doc said he cant believe i was walking that much on it.

Thank you very much.
    Krishna

PS: I am female 25, 5'3'' , 46kg

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Without a firm diagnosis on which to base recommendations, it would be impossible to offer any targeted advice. But forums are, by their limited nature, inadequate for the making of most diagnoses. In my view, it is an idiot point the doc made in telling you that your feet would hurt for life if not cared for, but then did not care for them. Among other things for which you might be evaluated, is post-sympathetic reflex dystrophy, especially if the skin of the injured foot is mottled and discolored in appearance and is of abnormal temperature, and if, along with chronic swelling, the pain is radiating proximal to the injury site and is accompanied with paresthesias.

3. Krishna

Krishna New Member

Dear Foot Doc

Thank you for listening, and responding.

I think there is no discoloration or numbness/tickling near the site of injury. But I will get it checked by a doctor for post-sympathetic reflex dystrophy.

However would you recommend any thing: like ice pack / contrast bath or such in order to give some relief to it?

Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Krishn.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As I pointed out in my original response, it is not only pointless but perhaps counterproductive to offer any specific recommendations for a condition wherein a diagnosis has not been established. The use of ice and heat are REAL treatments which might be helpful in some conditions, but if employed improperly or inadvisable they can be potentially detrimental. One must know what he/she is dealing with before giving specific advice.