1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

mid shaft 5th metatarsal fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I broke my 5th metatarsal via heavy object falling on foot. It's a clean break across the bone & seems to be in alignment. The bone is in 2 pieces and are tight with one another. My doctor would like to cast my foot, but due to economic reasons I have choosen a DJ Ortho walking boot instead. Will my foot heal properly? My doctor wishes to see me weekly and do x-rays. Obviously I would cast my right foot if I could drive and function properly as a sales rep for my employer. Could this create further walking complications down the road for me?

Thanks again for any assistance

Robert

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Not being privy to the particulars of your case or the status of your general health, I certainly cannot speak to your individual situation, nor would I if I could. But if a patient of mine had made a similar demand of me, and if I believed that my original protocol was a correct one which afforded the best chance of a satisfactory outcome, was consistent with the standard of care and that what the patient wished me to substitute for my best judgment could possibly mitigate the desired outcome of my treatment, irrespective of any guarantees which that patient might offer to me at the time, there is no way that I would agree to continue with the case. In my view, one cannot expect a doctor who must assume responsibility for holding to a standard of care to possibly breech that standard for considerations having nothing to do with health.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I find your answers to be not only unhelpful but they come off as rude and arrogant. Some people can not afford health care that gouges patients for every last cent or does not let them on a program in the first place because, hey, they are the ones that need it most. If a doctor can not hold to a standard of care because of these factors, it is STILL the doctors responsibility to help, trouble shoot, and give the best care possible. If a doctor abandons his/her patient because of the above considerations that supposedly "have nothing to do with heath" they are missing the big picture. It has EVERYTHING to do with health when an insurance company holds ones life in their hands. Even in this specific circumstance above, people's lives and health are very much affected by being able to pay or not pay. It is the doctor's responsibility to treat all without exception while keeping the modern world and health care structure in consideration. If you are so worried about being sued, have a contract that says you ordered this as a solution and the patient would not adhere to it. Really, humanity should be your specialty. It is quite the conundrum though.

4. chicagosandy

chicagosandy Guest

Okay--being the wife of a cardiologist, I might be seen as biased....but I must strongly agree with FootDoc as to the tone of posts here. This is not a forum on which to obtain free medical advice, nor is it appropriate to use it as a soapbox to decry the venal medical establishment and/or the high cost of health care. I urge those who feel as I do--that our healthcare delivery system is broken and overpriced--to take political action in another fashion, such as lobbying and blogging. (Surprised that I favor a single-payor option, and that given the choice I'd pick it in a heartbeat, huh)?

The proper types of posts seeking advice on this forum from FootDoc should be as to whether to seek professional health care advice--and if so, from whom; how we can best care for our own foot health as an adjunct to medical or podiatric services or (analagous to "an apple a day") prevent the need for professional intervention; and recounting of one's own experiences with the caveat that such recounting is anectodal, personal, and should not be a DIY substitute for getting proper help.

Drives me nuts when I see posts like the one on another thread from a kid who landed on the side of his foot (possibly an avulsion fx of the 5th met.) and is suffering pain---yet wants to know not whether to see a doctor and get it diagnosed, but rather how he can treat himself so he can take part in dance or athletic tryouts without having to go to one of those mean, pesky doctors who will likely take aim at his parents' bank account and perform the diagnostic tests necessary to responsibly treat his injury---like immobilization and ordering rest. (Note to the irony-impaired: I am not dissing doctors, but instead being sarcastic). This is reminiscent of people who are in legitimate pain and show up at the ER not to find out why they hurt and what can be done about it, but just want painkillers, period.

I feel sorry that anyone has sought and received medical treatment for an ailment and not gotten satisfactory relief. But many injuries are difficult to treat and may not ever completely heal. Sorry to sound cold, but "stuff happens." (Probably will be the case with my own 5th-met. pain). Don't blame the doctors and the health care system (i.e., don't kill the messenger). Seek (and follow and respect!) expert advice and exhaust your sensible options before denouncing conventional medicine and asking for snake oil.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I appreciate your insight and vote of confidence, though I fear that you are merely spittin' in the wind as far as being heard by those who you adroitly describe. Many posters seem to think that forums such as this are valid substitutes for a visit to a doctor and become anywhere from disappointed to irate to abusive when they don't get what they mistakenly think can be offered here. Many questions simply cannot be responsibly answered, but instead of simply not answering them, I often attempt to tell the questioner why the question is inappropriate and from whom he/she might obtain a reliable answer. But such help is too often taken as putting them down, whereas, if they followed such advice, they might actually get some help. Thanks again for your views though you will now be subjected to being claimed to be me in disguise by the idiot detractor who trolls here in lieu of a life.

6. chicagosandy

chicagosandy Guest

I am not now, nor have I ever been, FootDoc. (I suck too badly at math to be in the sciences). Anyway, went to the orthopod today, hoping to r/o a stress fx so I could get orthotics to wear with my orthopedic shoes. Well, he ruled out the fracture, all right--dx is degenerative arthritic changes in the 5th metatarsal space AND my bunion (which I've had for 37 yrs--the bunion, not the arthritis), tendinitis, and (who knew???) a Grade III ankle sprain. Yipes. Apparently all those gigs singing standing up and unconsciously everting my L foot to take pressure off the scrunched-up toes crammed into too-narrow shoes irritated the tendons and strained the ligaments; and schlepping through five airports in three days two weekends ago (and an evening in cute little strappy dress sandals at a wedding) aggravated the preexisting condition I never realized I had. Being several dozen lbs. overweight didn't help, either.

My orthopod grinned and said, "you're gonna get the ultimate in orthopedic shoes." So I'm now proudly sporting a big honkin' hi-top black walking cast-boot. A fashion statement, but not quite the one I had intended to make. I've been ordered to walk as much as tolerated (and, preferably, more!), elevate and ice the foot while lounging, and take an NSAID. Getting used to the boot--it seems to be easier to walk now w/o a cane, but had to put a clog instead of a regular shoe on the other foot to equalize leg length. But now I have some sore leg and hip soft tissue from the altered gait. Ouch.

Not asking for medical advice, just some tips from those who've "been there, done that" and/or are in the know on how to prevent injuring myself during the two weeks before my next appointment. Are there "platforms" available I can slip on and off my R foot regular shoe when out and about so as not to have to wear a clog (not the safest shoes for driving) in order to avoid pain from unequal leg length?

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    A Grade III ankle sprain is a terribly unlikely incidental diagnosis. I'm not at all sure why you were told to walk as much as and even more than tolerated. Based on the facts as I understand them, I would think that crutches and no weight bearing on the injured foot would be a more appropriate means of ambulation. In my opinion ambulating with a walking cast without some ancillary means of support is asking for double trouble.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Errr, sorry to burst your bubble but you have more than a few "detractors"

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Robert,

I also have a similiar fracture on my right 5th metataral. As we do not have to pay for health care where I live - I am in a cast and on crutches for the first two weeks. My Dr, said to keep weight off the foot for the first two weeks. He is then going to do another x-ray, and hopefully put me in a walking cast. He told me to let my pain be my guide, I was suggest the same to you. He said I could do more damage to the foot, if I put weight on it too soon. It really is bad timing for me, as I am in my brothers wedding in least then two weeks. Oh well!!! At least I have a pretty hot pink cast!

Cheers,

Jenn