1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal complete fracture/displaced now healed

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by tugzzgurl, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tugzzgurl

tugzzgurl Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I fell down some stair in November 2009 and fractured my 5th metatarsal about 2/3 the way down the shaft. It was a complete fracture and slightly displaced. We opted to let it heal. It took 5 months with 3 months using a bone growth stimulator to get it to heal.

I still have occasional twinges of pain, not bad but a reminder that area is still vulnerable.

I now have what appears to be possibly some arthritis starting in the 4th MTP joint. My Rhumatologist and Ortho Doc don't feel it is NOT related to my fracture but man is sure seems like it must be. This joint as well as #3 and #2 MTP joint have never regained normal ROM since the fracture. The joints will not flex like my other foot. What do you think?

Also, I was a runner before this started. When I was given the go ahead to get back in to normal shoes my Ortho Doc recommeneded the MBT shoe which has been fabulous for walking and working but now I'm getting back in to an exercise routine. What shoe would you recommend for support of this area while running. I've been using my MBT's but am finding my knees are being aggravated so need to find a different shoe for running.

2. maresa

maresa Guest

can you please let me know what kind of bone growth stimulator did you use? Thanks

3. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

I have developed traumatic arthritis after breaking my 5th met, and in reading up on it, it says it can develop after any trauma or surgery to the foot. However, most of the reading sounds like it says it shows up years after, not right away. That's why I was surprised to hear I had developed it less than 6 months after my injury... If the joints are disrupted (sprained, strained or the break goes into a joint), then you get traumatic arthritis.

What I don't know is if it continues to develop, does it get severe, or is there any way to know? I haven't found that out yet.