1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden pain in the back of my heel

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Texas Okie, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Texas Okie

Texas Okie New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Foot Doc, thanks for all the responses here. I'm glad I found the forum. I am a 33 year old male in reasonably good health. 4 days ago as I was walking away from the stadium after a football game, I noticed some pain in the back of my heel as I walked. It was tolerable but definitely noticeable, and it has gotten progressively worse ever since. I'll try to give as much info as possible.

I was wearing tennis shoes I've had for a while the day it happened. The pain is at the very back of the heel about an inch and a half above the ground, and very slightly around toward the outside of my foot. The skin there is a red compared to the other foot. The best I can describe it is that it feels like a deep bruise, but there was never any impact. There is a dull ache when I am sitting still, and a sharp pain when I walk. The pain hits when I put weight on the front part of my foot. I have no pain at all on the bottom of my heel, and I can put all my weight on the heel of that foot without any pain other than the same dull ache. The first couple of days it was worse in the morning and improved throughout the day, but now it doesn't subside. So far I haven't taken any medication.

Any ideas? Are there any other details I haven't thought of would be helpful?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As best I can imagine, you seem to be describing the area near the insertion of the Achilles tendon. What could be considered might include a tear of some of the fibers of the Achilles tendon, an irritated retro-calcaneal bursa, Haglund's deformity, insertional osteoarthritis of the Achilles tendon, gout, a splinter or other foreign body, a nerve impingement, a plantaris (vestigial muscle and tendon which arises in the lower leg and inserts into the lateral side of the posterior heel) tear which generally feels like being shot in the lower leg with a B-B gun or perhaps a shoe irritation from stitching. Clearly, your condition requires, as do most for diagnosis, a hands-on examination and a targeted history. It would be impossible for me to suggest all of the details which might convince me that one of those presumptions might be correct. As you must have gleaned from reading my other responses, I don't shoot from the hip, and although "ideas" are a dime a dozen, as something on which you might rely, they are generally worthless. A visit to a podiatrist, in my view, would be your best and safest bet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've read several threads on here, and the foot doc fails to give helpful, useful information to anyone. He only pulls attitude and tells people to go to a podiatrist. Why have this website?

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Seriously. I could give better and more specific advice. Obviously, this is a case of plantar fasciitis and can be helped through downward dog yoga stretch, using Superfeet inserts, rest, and taping.

Duh.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Are you serious? Plantar Fasciitis? Those symptoms aren't even close. I have had both Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis. The foot doctor is correct to see a podiatrist. It is people like you that are giving misleading information, and possibly making a problem worse because it hasn't been treated correctly. When you have Achilles Tendonitis the first treatment is to immobilize it, not stretch it.

Duh

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Both of you just grow up and if you have nothing to say, keep quiet. So he recommends that people see podiatrist. And if he did not and a person had a serious condition, then what, you would be all mad and fussing cause he did not suggest that. Forums are to give general information and not complete medical care and diagnosis. If you want that, go see your doctor. This is a forum, not a clinic. GROW UP.