1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Physical Therapy?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I don't know if there is any such thing as a "typical" post op plan. That being said, do you usually order pt for strengthening after flat foot reconstruction surgery?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Physical therapy is a relative term which encompasses any and all activities, exercises and manipulations which facilitate the rehab of musculo-skeletal activities. That might take the form of simply using the part in a graduated manner or may require defined professional intervention. Some form of physical therapy, whether self-administered or professionally administered is necessary after most any type of orthopedic surgery. Such PT is not always for strengthening, but may simply be for re-introduction of normal ranges of motion and ease of movement without pain.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for the informative response. At 9 weeks post op, when I was able to start weight bearing in a boot, my toes were so stiff that the act of trying to move them manually caused significant pain. I did have pt including graston to improve range of motion. The pt made a huge difference in my ability to walk in the boot pain free. I gradually transitioned to shoes, first with an ASO brace and now recently without an ASO brace. I do see what you mean when you say that one person's experience has no bearing on another person's recovery. It seems that many people post that they have PT post op for strengthening. My doctor said that PT may not be necessary. He will see how things go. I am buying my footwear at a small shop that specializes in shoes for people with foot problems. The shop (not a chain store) is owned by a CPED. The CPED feels that with proper footwear, in many cases the act of walking with proper gait and foot position will strengthen the muscles without additional intervention. I guess that I am kind of protective of my foot now after having such an extensive surgery with a long, difficult recovery.