1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

itching scabby big toe with oozing clear fluid, help!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    For about two months I've been in a cycle of having an itchy toe scratching it, it scabs over and becomes even more itchy and small raised swollen areas appear which if scratched realeases a clear fluid... i leave it to get better.. but then it starts again, I dont seem to be able to shake it.

I dont like to go to the doctor because they're always unhelpful and dismissive... and find knowledgable people much more helpful.

please tell me what you think it might be, i dont know if its atheletes foot or eczema related as I do suffer from these from time to time but not usually on my big toe.

Please help, any advice?

I've tried sudocreme, which didnt really work, I bandaged it in eurax hydrocorisone cream for a while which helped a lot but having has a week without a cream or dressing its reappeared...

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

AND they charge!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Obviously you've had bad experiences in the past with doctors...unfortunately this does happen as evidenced in foot dork's reply. You probably visited him.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

wow i am suffering from the same thing as this poor guy, and i cant find any information about this, this is the closest i have come. Too bad no body has any serious responses.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Me too. I have suffered with this problem for years. It's under my feet toward the middle. It swells and when scratched it oozes with a clear thick fluid. However, the fluid appears to have made a slight hole in my foot..as if the fluid was eating or thinning my skinn underneath. It is painful and itchy at the same time. If anyone has serious information, please post.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Infections
    Any time a break in the skin occurs, bacteria, fungi, and other pathogens can enter and cause an infection. The foot is an especially rich source of bacteria and invading microorganisms, because your shoes provide them a perfect environment in which to live. Therefore, any time you notice a lesion, ulcer, cut, or sore on your feet, you need to take prompt action to prevent infection. A foot ulcer is the most likely source of infection in the foot. When an ulcer becomes infected, microorganisms can eat through layers of skin and bone tissue to create a deep hole. When the infection spreads or becomes too deep, amputation may be needed.

SYMPTOMS

Symptoms of an infected ulcer include fever, redness, swelling, warmth around the wound, and any sort of drainage or oozing of pus-like material.

RISKS

An infected ulcer can eat away at your soft tissue and make its way into the bone. If the infection is deep, a part of the foot or even the entire foot or leg may have to be removed to save your life.

WHAT TO DO

If you notice any signs of infection in a foot ulcer, notify your doctor or podiatrist right away. You need to be seen at once before the infection spreads further. You may notice signs of infection even if you don't have an open sore or ulcer. If you notice any redness, swelling, or oozing around your toenail, for example, or at the site of a cut or splinter, you also need to call your doctor right away.

TREATMENT

Your doctor will probably first culture material from the sight of infection. You will probably be treated with an antibiotic depending on what sort of organism is causing the infection. This could be an antibiotic or an and fungal agent that can be taken orally, one that is applied topically, or both.

Your doctor will also conduct blood tests to check your blood glucose level and your white cell count. You may also be examined by X ray to make sure there is no sign of bone infection. If the infection is not severe, you will be treated on an outpatient basis, but you should be seen every 2 or 3 days for the first week or so. Most infections will show some improvement in a few days. If you have a soft-tissue infection, you will probably need to take antibiotics for 2 weeks. If the infection has reached the bone, you may need antibiotic therapy for 6 weeks or longer. Make sure to take the prescribed antibiotics for the entire time, even if you think it is getting better. If the infection gets worse, contact your provider immediately, even if you are scheduled for an appointment soon. Signs of a worsening infection include fever or an elevadon in an existing fever, increased pain, redness, warmth, or pus formation.

Besides antibiotics, your doctor takes other steps to encourage the healing of your infected ulcer. For an ulcer to heal, it has to be covered with a healthy layer of tissue, with no dead cells in the way. To ensure this, your doctor may perform a surgical debridement. This means all dead tissue will be removed from the wound. This needs to be done frequently as the wound is healing. Do not attempt to do this yourself!

Your doctor may give you instructions for dressing the wound. You may be given an antibiotic solution or ointment. After cleaning the site of infection, you can either apply the ointment directly or soak a piece of clean gauze in antibiotic solution and apply it to the wound. You will probably want to cover the wound with clean sterile gauze in between dressings.

Also make sure not to walk on your infected foot. If you need to get around, consider using a pair of crutches or even a wheelchair. If you notice any swelling, keep your leg elevated.

While your infection is healing it is important to keep your blood glucose levels under control. This may be a bit of a catch-22 situation. Infection can upset your blood glucose levels, but too much glucose in the blood can impair healing and promote infection. Therefore, test your blood glucose levels frequently and treat hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia if necessary.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This condition is called Pompholox (hope I spelt that right!) eczema. I've had it for a few years now. It comes and goes in waves. The creams help with the breakouts, but there is nothing that can stop re-occurrences of this condition....it's all in the management of it.

People suffering from this condition can also be allergic to nickel....which (if you come into contact with nickel) can also cause flare-ups of this type of eczema.

8. gangte

gangte New Member

because it is a symptom of infection, because you can not clean it has been finger ulcers should be treated chan.de toes in antiseptic hydrogen peroxide

9. Manuel555

Manuel555 Banned

Itching can be relieved with a number of topical drugs or drugs taken by mouth...but in your case i suggest maintain proper hygiene..in your food your clothes your living...in almost everything..you seem to be allergic to something..but as i see change your environment for some time and go on without any pharmaceutical solution see if problem persist..is yes then you should consult immediately

10. adam07

adam07 Banned

I have been unwell since quite some time now. The various treatments did not seem to work on me to a great extent, but after reading your article and after following the instructions given by you, I surely can feel the difference.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mine is doing the same, it happened a day or two ago, what If a brown eevlus bit me? Cause it bleeds a lot and has clear fluid, it gets really crusty and falls of butt looks like there are like tiny blister there. I don't know what It Is but I want an answer.

12. I've been having a similar issue for a few months. It itches sometimes to the point that its unignorable, but apart from that, I rarely need to scratch.

It gets kind of scabby and flaky and at times comes up with small blisters filled with clear fluid - I think the hard scratching causes this.

Its located only on my large toe on the left of my foot only, which I found as odd. I've tried antibiotic and atheletes foot creams and yielded some slight relief in itching.

Today I began looking for answers because it has been feeling bruised very very recently, perhaps a side effect of hard scratching? More than that, on the knuckle joint, it seems slightly swolen.

There is no cracked skin or ulceration to speak of, it doesn't bleed or anything like that. Any of the blisters or damages are on the surface "only skin deep". But the recent swelling is a bit disconcerning.

So... No definite answers just yet?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes): I have the same problem ugh. I've searched it tho, and I find that putting lotion on regularly & when you get out of the shower somewhat helps the itching and oozing

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My podiatrist couldn't figure this one out. I have the same stupid aggravating condition, comes and goes, is worse in heat, said it looked like athletes foot, but couldn't figure out why it wasn't spreading to the other toes. The symptoms I have are in this order, itching, redness, swelling, worse itching, more redness, toe swells more, gets tight and develops clear puss blisters that once broken itch like crazy until I wash my feet dry them and put the following medicine generously on my toe, and between toes on each side of affected toe. The podiatrist prescribed me Oxistat Lotion 1%. It always helps. I use during flare ups, only while symptoms persist, once it clears up I stop using it. I keep feet very clean and dry, white cotton socks, no shoes in the house. Do not run heat in the floor board of your vehicle. It will make it worse. Use an antibacterial cleaners for tubs, anywhere you walk bare footed. Bleach and double rinse your socks. Clean socks each day.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've been having this same issue for 9 months it goes from the ball of my big toe to the tip of the big toe and has spread to the one next it it's constantly oozes clear liquid

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Google: "Candida Cleanse", take probiotics. Get rid of the fungus and yeast inside and it stops recurring. Your diet during and forever after should be Sugar free, Gluten free, and Yeast free.

17. GrItta

GrItta Guest

18. GrItta

GrItta Guest

Itching and oozing clear fluid and crust formation on the big toe since one month now,no relieve after antibiotic anti fungal cream.please help

19. Me Too

Me Too Guest

dyshedritic eczema still suffering