1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain while running

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I just started running (2.5 miles for about 2 1/2 weeks, gradually) with not so good shoes and my feet started aching. Last time I ran I could barely jog. I went directly to a specialized running store and bought new shoes after the salesman evaluated my walking/running and asked questions about my pain.

After resting 2 days I tried to go out and try the new shoes but could barely lift my feet of the ground when starting to run. Needless to say, I stopped.

The pain is mostly on my right foot. The inside of the heel hurts a little but the area above the heel is what hurts the most (like a circle around the ankle just above the heel). There are 2 spots in particular that hurt when I apply pressure on them and are (in that circle around the ankle above the heel) on the inside and outside of the foot (just above the heel).
    I know its hard to explain but maybe someone has an idea of what I'm talking about. There's also a point just below my knee on the inside of the leg that hurts as well.

Should I just rest assuming my previous cheap running shoes are to blame or should I go see a podiatrist?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. DocD

DocD New Member

I think that common sense would dictate that rather than obtaining advice from the salesperson at the running store, it would now be time to seek professional guidance in person. There is no adequate way to examine and/or evaluate you over the internet, so I recommend you make an appointment with your local podiatrist for an appointment for a proper evaluation.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was only seeking advice from the salesperson for the appropriate running shoes for my foot type, since obviously I was wearing the incorrect shoes and since getting good running shoes is the first thing a person should do if taking up running. As I said, this was a "specialized" running store and not my local sports store. I will seek professional guidance if the pain doesn't subside and I was not looking for an examination/evaluation over the Internet but just an idea of what might be going on. I wanted to see if someone else was going through something similar. I WILL go to a podiatrist for an examination but honestly don't understand the purpose of this forum if no thoughts are shared. It seems that the most common answer is "see your podiatrist". Note that I'm not saying this shouldn't be mentioned but it would be great to be able to read ideas of qualified people or thoughts of people that are going or went through the same situation. Will not recommend this forum to others at all!

4. DocD

DocD New Member

In your OWN words, you state "it's hard to explain" where it hurts, yet you would like me to provide you with some advice? I can provide very accurate advice to patients when given specific details of his/her symptoms. But when a patient tells me the symptoms are "hard to explain", providing a "guess" is more unprofessional that recommending than the patient seek the advice of a professional.

And yes, the ultimate answer to most questions will be to eventually see a professional for hands-on evaluation. The purpose of this forum is to answer questions for those that have usually ALREADY received a diagnosis to elaborate at that diagnosis, provide explanations, treatment options, explain medications, discuss complications, alternatives, concerns, etc. This site is not to provide diagnoses. That would simply be irresponsible.

Additionally, seeking the advice of "others" that "may have had similar" symptoms is equally as dangerous. The experience of another individual really has no impact or bearing on your situation or your health. I particularly discourage patients from this practice when "soliciting" other patient's post operative experiences. Every patient heals different, every patient has different physiological characteristics, every patient has a different pain threshold and every surgeon has a different technique. So one patient's post op experience has absolutely no impact on another's.

Similarly, the symptoms you describe MAY sound a "little bit" like the symptoms someone else experienced and that person can give you well intentioned advice that may be completely irrelevant or wrong, because it may be a totally different pathology.

So, despite your offense at my original post, it was simply based on my years of experience and honesty to prevent you from further harm and possibly gathering misinformation.

The bottom line is that you need to seek a hands on evaluation, and after you receive a diagnosis, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the treatment protocol or recommendations you receive.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As I have repeatedly offered and DocD has in essence echoed, the usefulness of forums such as this where actual professionals field most of the questions is to educate and embelish upon known diagnoses and to discuss general principles of treatment, but not to make or replace decisions which only an attending/examining doctor or another with complete medical-grade knowledge of an individual's problem and related situations can appropriately make.

What many questioner seem to be looking for are support type forums where patients relate their problems and varying treatments and result, many times to make them feel less alone with their problems and learn how other dealt with them. This may serve a useful social purpose, but it is also often fraught with the potential for mis-diagnosis and mistreatment which at the least can delay appropriate diagnosis and treatment and at the worst, can inflict further damage on the patient with inappropriate treatments. These contacts afford only ancedotes which cannot necessarily be relied upon for others to believe in and adapt to their own use and situation. The pleural of anecdote is NOT data and should not be taken as such. The questioner must understand that unlike the lay-participant in forums, the professional has the ethical and moral responsibility to limit advice to that which can appropriately be offered and which is couched with suffiecient warnings so as to do no harm. As many questioner will not heed such warning, it is often the better part of valor not to offer comments which require such admonishments and often the best advice is to recommend the seeking of hands-on professional evaluation. This may frustrate many questioners, but such is in his/her best interest. But in the end, advice here is given gratis and need not and should not be taken a personal offense when one does not get what he/she thought might be available.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. kkroyal

kkroyal Guest

---------------------------

What your questioner was looking for:

Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum
    Welcome to the foot pain and health forum, where you can get more information about your foot pain and concerns.

Here you can get information on a whole range of foot problems; ask questions of experts about foot pain; and share your experiences.

The Foot Pain & Health Forum not only draws on experts from a number of disciplines to help, but also from other people who have problems and pain with their feet.

-------------------------------------------
    He was not looking for precise diagnoses.

KK

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

EARTH TO KK . .

An accurate diagnosis is the basis and prerequisite for meaningful recommendations. It is the starting point at which all treatment discussion begins. Coming to a forum such as this for treatment advice without a diagnosis, means that what one IS asking for . . or SHOULD BE asking for is a diagnosis. Responders here are not bound to satisfy the unreasonable expectation of questioners. Two qualified doctors attempted to give the questioner essentially the same appropriate advice. The fact that the poster chose not to heed such advice is his/her loss and his/her problem, not the responders'.