1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Cast vs Pins - Jones Fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What is the advantage to having surgery to insert pins or screws to repair a Jones Fracture?

I understand that Jones Fractures heal slowly, and if it isn't healing, the surgery is pretty much required. I'm looking for basic/general information as to why surgery would be preferred for a non-athlete.

If you need specifics: 37 year old female, Jones Fracture of the 5th metatarsal of the right foot four days ago. I have the walking boot and crutches. Almost four years ago, I broke my left foot, Jones Fracture, 5th metatarsal, and spent two months on crutches with another 10 weeks in the walking boot and another 4 weeks in flat, hard-soled shoes before the doctor said I was healed enough to not come back. I haven't had any problems with it since.

Thanks for your help.

2. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Pins or other mechanical settings supposedly decrease healing time. I had a plate engrafted 3 weeks ago and I've been in a walking boot and crutches since then. I go back next week to determine my progress. The Dr. is fairly confident I'll be able to bear weight starting at 4 weeks, which is half the time it takes to reach that point in a cast.

The surgery itself was not particularly difficult. The worse thing was the associated swelling, which took 2 weeks to clear up.