1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Still pain in ankle over one year after surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by tgb, Jul 25, 2009.

1. tgb

tgb New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had Arthroscopic ankle surgery and a Brostrum repair on April 2008. I have gone to therapy as well for four to six months and I was done in October
    2008. I am having alot of pain and this is July 2009. Before my ankle surgery, I injured my ankle with a fracture, torn ligaments, and damaged my tendon. I still have clunking too, but the clunking is not painful. Why is my ankle bothering me over a year after surgery?

Is it normal though to still have pain in my ankle over a year after surgery? My ankle is swollen on the right side of it, where the bone is and that is one of many places he went in during surgery.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cassie

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

My advice would be for you to contact the surgeon who knows your condition, knows what was seen in surgery and exactly what was done. He/she would be the most reliable and appropriate source of information regarding your questions.

3. MML

MML New Member

I'm only offering advice according to what I've been thru and maybe Foot Doc can shed some light on this as well, but from my experiences, I can truly say that the ankle is very delicate and when something happens to it, you have to take the utmost care of it and do everything your doctor tells you to do. I had a subtalar fracture and it took most of 2008 to heal. I wore a boot for five months and ended up having arthroscopic ankle surgery in December 2008. I was in physical therapy for the broken foot for five months, then an additional 2 months after the surgery.

As for the pain - I do still have pain in my ankle and I broke it in Oct. 2007. I have come to accept that the pain may never go away, or it may just take a while to get the strength back in that foot. Along with breaking the subtalar joint, I also broke the navicular bone (top of foot). My ankle surgery was performed to remove bone chips in my ankle and to remove scar tissue.

In the meantime, I don't know if you wear high heels, but don't for now. (I see that your name is Cassie, so I assumed you are female). Wear comfortable shoes. I love my high heels and it has been really hard not to be able to wear them, but I have come to realize that I'll never be able to wear really high heels ever again because of the break. They aren't good for the feet anyway, but still....

Hang in there. Things will get better!

4. anklegirl

anklegirl New Member

It has been a year since my ankle surgery and I am still having pain on and off. Doctors have told me that this is a normal occurrence, especially since I am a ballet dancer and ballet is very hard on the feet and ankles. I think that part of the reason my ankle isn't further along in the healing process is because I went too fast going back into activity on my ankle. My advice to you is to not push your ankle too much when it is feeling good because you will delay the healing process. This means no running, high heels, etc. As I'm sure you know from being in physical therapy, strengthening the ankle (thera-band, balancing, etc) is very important. But don't do anything that causes it pain. Also, contrast baths help immensely (alternating ice cold and hot water - always end in cold), as does ice massage (massaging with an ice cube). You might want to consider going back to physical therapy. Ask for ultrasound; that definitely helped me and it might help you too.

Be patient; it takes time. Good luck!

5. Babygirl504

Babygirl504 Guest

Foot surgery 2 mths ago :9

I fractured my foot 2 mths ago in a car accident and had surgery on Oct. 20th. Broke 4 main bones and several little fractures on the side of the foot. The surgeon put them together with screws. I am now in a boot and go back on Monday so that hopefully he gives me the ok to begin walking with this boot. How long after I start walking will I be able to wear my heels again? I am 30 and work in an office and I love wearing my high heels. Upset that I might not be able to wear them like I used to.

6. hendrick

hendrick Guest

hi i broke my ankle realy badly in aug 2011 and can hardly walk now ive been threw therapy and no happiness i broke my cap off and my tib in 8 places the smaller bone dislocated it and shreaded all the ligaments i had alot of hardware put in and some taken out but i stil have extreme pain in my heal when i walk and i also sufferd foot drop due to alot of nerve damage keep ur head up and take day by day time is the only real healing tool here

7. I broke my ankle last year in Jan.2012 & i loved wearing my 4-5 inch heels,but now today i can actually wear 2inches comfortable.I'm also wearing 3inches,but they are not as comfortable as the 2inches.I still feel pain in my ankle when I first get up in the mornings &also when its cold outside.I think that it is getting better each day,so keep your head up.